Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by on6702 Quote
Interesting. ES is indeed silent in live view but in viewfinder mode due to the mirror movement I don’t think it’s actually much quieter.
For the viewfinder to operate, the mirror needs to be down, then raised when taking the picture. Not much usefulness in preventing shutter movement if that big mirror is slapping away.

I have thought of another use where it could be useful and that’s in interval mode when a very large number of photos are being taken e.g for a time lapse and it’s use could help prevent shutter wear but sadly it’s not allowed in that mode on the kp for some reason. I don’t understand why as it’s allowed for multiple exposure mode.
Probably because they want to avoid having the sensor exposed for too long.

03-12-2021, 07:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. ES is indeed silent in live view but in viewfinder mode due to the mirror movement I don’t think it’s actually much quieter.
For the viewfinder to operate, the mirror needs to be down, then raised when taking the picture. Not much usefulness in preventing shutter movement if that big mirror is slapping away.

I have thought of another use where it could be useful and that’s in interval mode when a very large number of photos are being taken e.g for a time lapse and it’s use could help prevent shutter wear but sadly it’s not allowed in that mode on the kp for some reason. I don’t understand why as it’s allowed for multiple exposure mode.
Probably because they want to avoid having the sensor exposed for too long.
03-13-2021, 05:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

For one-push bracketed exposure shots of motion-free scenes, the electronic shutter can be used to reduce wear of the mechanical parts, as the mirror and shutter mechanisms will operate only once during the sequence. Be aware though that the shutter count will continue to increase for each recorded image.

Philip