Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many lenses can have autofocus adjustment on KP?

Hey folks - I took advantage of the great price at Adorama (with bundled flash) and grabbed a KP. It’s a sweet camera - the design suits me perfectly and is a great retro-evolution of the K7 and K5 bodies.

Before I start calibrating my lenses — I’m curious how many lens calibrations the KP can store. If I recall, the K5 held 10 lenses, the K-r and K20D were one lens only.

Anyone know how many the KP can store? The manual and specifications seem silent on this...

I hate to say - I might have more than 10 lenses...

04-15-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Calibration memory for up to twenty lenses.
04-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Hey folks - I took advantage of the great price at Adorama (with bundled flash) and grabbed a KP. It’s a sweet camera - the design suits me perfectly and is a great retro-evolution of the K7 and K5 bodies.

Before I start calibrating my lenses — I’m curious how many lens calibrations the KP can store. If I recall, the K5 held 10 lenses, the K-r and K20D were one lens only.

Anyone know how many the KP can store? The manual and specifications seem silent on this...

Page 63 in the KP manual. Download the pdf copy if you haven't, it's searchable.
04-15-2021, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you both! I had re-read that page 3 times and completely missed the little "(Up to 20 values)" note.

Cheers!

04-15-2021, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
Good news .......you can go buy 10 more now !
04-15-2021, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by on6702 Quote
Good news .......you can go buy 10 more now !
So far only my 55-300PLM and 16-85WR have required a calibration setting on my KP- four less than my K-3.
04-15-2021, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Before I start calibrating my lenses
Before you start doing calibrations, it might be good to simply do some shooting to see if calibration is needed. Front/Back focusing severe enough to warrant fiddling with is usually pretty obvious. I know there are several PF members that suggest calibrating to all lenses, but there are also many of us who have applied few, if any calibrations to the lenses we own.

BTW...never apologize for the number of lenses you own. It makes some of the rest of us look bad...

Steve

(...might have a few to many, but who's counting?...)

04-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Before you start doing calibrations, it might be good to simply do some shooting to see if calibration is needed. Front/Back focusing severe enough to warrant fiddling with is usually pretty obvious. I know there are several PF members that suggest calibrating to all lenses, but there are also many of us who have applied few, if any calibrations to the lenses we own.

BTW...never apologize for the number of lenses you own. It makes some of the rest of us look bad...

Steve

(...might have a few to many, but who's counting?...)
Yes — I’ll be doing a good shakedown with each lens before I calibrate.

It’s been a mixed bag with previous cameras. My K-5 needed calibration with maybe half my lenses. That might be down to most of my lenses being used - they have had a life before me, and I haven’t been able to cherry pick lenses like you can at a retailer
04-16-2021, 01:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think no one here will blame you for owning many lenses. Many will even find excuse for you if you don't have any. Generic excuse is "you needed them".

I, myself, hate to say I have only 9 lenses.

Back to topic, calibration is good but when it comes to zoom lenses, you cannot memorize several calibration settings depending of focal length setting, only one per lens. This is why I avoided the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (and took instead the Sigma version), because this lens would need different calibration adjustements depending on focal length chosen. I don't know if there are many other lenses in the same problematic case of that Tamron.