Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I think I've seen somewhere that a particular feature was meant to be added to the KP in a firmware update. It was words from Ricoh soon after the KP release. Of course, firmware updates stopped very quickly, and promise forgotten... until today. And there is this version number gap. Do anyone remembers what it was? I cannot seem to be able to find it.
I also found it kind of frustrating how little firmware upgrade support the KP has gotten.

04-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I also found it kind of frustrating how little firmware upgrade support the KP has gotten.
I’m not sure I understand. My k100d super never had a single firmware past the original. I always assumed it meant there was nothing wrong with the initial version.
04-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Something about not always being able to get what you want, but at least getting what you need.
04-17-2021, 02:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Was it mechanical video stabilization through IBIS
Yes, that was that, I finally found the reference in the Pentaxforums official review.

QuoteQuote:
During a February, 2017 interview, Pentax representatives hinted that mechanical stabilization (using the sensor Shake Reduction system) would be enabled in the KP through a firmware update. As of mid-2017, this has not been done, though.
From : Pentax KP Review - Movie Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax KP was initially a flagship, then a higher-end model. Yet, firmware upgrades stopped very quickly (until this month). Why it is bad? Because it makes feel the product is no longer supported.

Pentax K100D Super was a lower model (but not pure entry level, unlike the K110D). I don't expect the same support for the K100D Super than for the KP.

04-17-2021, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
People who are disappointed with the lack of firmware updates,what do you think you’re missing out on?

It’s not like a ‘phone or computer where updates are needed for security reasons.Or that there are new lenses that require alterations to the existing firmware.
04-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Welll, strange... did not work out. Will try tomorrow.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
04-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
People who are disappointed with the lack of firmware updates,what do you think you’re missing out on?

It’s not like a ‘phone or computer where updates are needed for security reasons.Or that there are new lenses that require alterations to the existing firmware.
I am not missing updates so much, but other companies use firmware updates for improving AF algorithms etc. Some improvements can be significant. I am not saying that I am not satisfied with my KP, but every improvement is welcome

What I really missed some times ago was an update uploading info about the new 11-18/2,8. I would expect that the newest lens with the newest body (that time) should "know" each other.

04-17-2021, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Updated both of my KP's without any problems. Some mentioned concerned about the lack of updates for the KP, but when you have perfection in a camera there's not a lot to update unless it's needed for a new type of lens.
04-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m not sure I understand. My k100d super never had a single firmware past the original. I always assumed it meant there was nothing wrong with the initial version.
The GR III has gotten a ton of them. A couple were to add promised features which didn't make it in till after the camera was released, but they've all had decent tweaks as well, and some good new features.
04-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m not sure I understand.
There are some folk who feel that firmware updates are for other than bug fixes and/or support for new lenses/accessories and that lack of updates indicates inattention from the maker. Generally, with Pentax, a paucity of updates indicates that the original product was both stable and mature on release. The KP definitely fits into that category.

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
The GR III has gotten a ton of them. A couple were to add promised features which didn't make it in till after the camera was released, but they've all had decent tweaks as well, and some good new features.
Six, in total...

FWIW...much as the GRIII is a very cool and desirable camera, it was not particular mature or stable on release in 2018. Of the six updates (the last being July 2020), three were fixes for bugs or inadequacies/deficiencies. The others were, IMHO, usability and UI tweaks that were probably intended for the original release.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Pentax KP was initially a flagship, then a higher-end model. Yet, firmware upgrades stopped very quickly (until this month). Why it is bad? Because it makes feel the product is no longer supported.
The question of KP as flagship has been tossed around the Pentax Forums for years. The description in the detailed PF review (July 2017) is pretty accurate, "...premium mid-range model between the upper entry-level K-70 and flagship K-3 II."

FWIW...it is good that Pentax extended firmware support for the updated lenses. That is an indication of continued support for the camera and affirmation that its owners are important.

Steve
04-17-2021, 11:43 PM   #26

I updated my firmware. Apparently I had missed a few previous updates. Everything went fine.
04-18-2021, 05:10 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I received my second KP in the mail yesterday. My original was on version 1.11, the new to me camera was v1.0. After testing the new arrival, I upgraded both cameras to v1.30 with no issues. I’ll be on the lookout for any noticeable improvements.
04-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I received my second KP in the mail yesterday. My original was on version 1.11, the new to me camera was v1.0. After testing the new arrival, I upgraded both cameras to v1.30 with no issues. I’ll be on the lookout for any noticeable improvements.
Mine was manufactured in July of last year, and it came with 1.10 or 1.11... too late to tell now

So far it seems happy with 1.30...

-Eric
04-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
"Optimized focus operation for new lenses"

How would they do that?
I'm wondering if this may have been uncovered as part of the AF development for the K3iii.
Perhaps as they were testing they found some deficiencies with respect to the AF programming for these particular lenses.
04-22-2021, 08:22 PM   #30

It may just be all in my head but my 77mm limited does NOT sound as loud anymore. I wasn't having flashbacks to the dentist office having a tooth filled. I wasn't able to give it a full day of testing but I did photograph a person riding a bicycle until the buffer filled up and they rode off to the horizon before it cleared enough to shoot again.