Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kp trouble

After using the KP on tripod with the 2 sec delay i cannot get it back to the normal state. All the 4 functions :WB flash ISO and delay and shake reduction are non working. Dioes anyone know this? I fear for the repaircosts

04-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
After using the KP on tripod with the 2 sec delay i cannot get it back to the normal state. All the 4 functions :WB flash ISO and delay and shake reduction are non working. Does anyone know this? I fear for the repaircosts
In December, during the "raffle", one of our cats jumped in my lap and knocked my KP onto the floor.
The camera fell only a couple of feet, but suddenly it could not focus, and I feared I would have a new reason to "win" the raffle.
After a few hours, I realized the the SR mechanism might have confused the firmware, so I did a 'hard boot' - I removed the battery for a couple of minutes.
Everything has been normal since then,
04-28-2021, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Or mabe the 4-was buttons are toggled to switch focus point. I am sure this happend to all of us at least once
04-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In December, during the "raffle", one of our cats jumped in my lap and knocked my KP onto the floor.
The camera fell only a couple of feet, but suddenly it could not focus, and I feared I would have a new reason to "win" the raffle.
After a few hours, I realized the the SR mechanism might have confused the firmware, so I did a 'hard boot' - I removed the battery for a couple of minutes.
Everything has been normal since then,
Thanks but it doesnot work

---------- Post added 04-28-21 at 08:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Or mabe the 4-was buttons are toggled to switch focus point. I am sure this happend to all of us at least once
Thanks how did youcope with thetoggled buttun?

04-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think pressing the middle button in toggles it. I have done it in the past and it took awhile to figure out
04-28-2021, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I think pressing the middle button in toggles it. I have done it in the past and it took awhile to figure out
Exactly this … press and hold the OK button for a couple of seconds and the functionality of the surrounding switches changes from moving the AF point to whatever is written on the camera (or vice versa, depending on how you've got it set in the menus) … see item 20 on p.12 of the manual and follow the references from there.
04-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Exactly this … press and hold the OK button for a couple of seconds and the functionality of the surrounding switches changes from moving the AF point to whatever is written on the camera (or vice versa, depending on how you've got it set in the menus) … see item 20 on p.12 of the manual and follow the references from there.
Thanks a lot, my camera is functional again, I am vey gratefull

04-29-2021, 02:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Once again, I thank for the help: a camera fixed on 2 sec delay is not very usefull. Understanding very little of how electrnic works I am interested in an explanation: why does this happen as it obviously is not mecanical abuse
Now to another problem that occurred just before the 4 way controllerproblem:
I am not very impressed by the pdaf precision/stability, but my Sigma 70mm 2,8 macro has become curious
AF fine tune value. I choose the value that gives the same result as CDAF in live view-
At 2.8 the result on a testtarget and tripod are identcally, at 5,6 the pdaf is signifikant blurry. If I focus in pdaf, switch to mf and dont touch anything, the result is sharp
I have with no succes cleaned the contacts in alcohol
the problem does not show on K30, so it must be body related. My other lenses are not infected
Is there another quick fix: You press the button and the software does the rest
redards
In my memory the af on k30 is more reliable. Is there some truth in this

Last edited by niels hansen; 04-29-2021 at 02:23 AM. Reason: forgot k 30
04-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP AF system is definitely an overall upgrade for speed and accuracy over Pentax DSLR cameras of the K-30 time frame. However, in this case there seems to be some kind of mis-match with your KP and this Sigma lens. I presume it is a screw-driven lens. I have many of those, but not this Sigma macro lens, and in my case AF has been improved when using my screw-driven lenses with with my KP.

Yet, there is a very recent firmware upgrade (1.3) offered for the KP which addresses better accuracy for use with certain Pentax screw-driven lenses, which might also benefit the use with your Sigma lens. I have not yet performed the firmware upgrade, but plan to do so soon.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-01-2021 at 04:53 PM.
04-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't really understand this part : ". If I focus in pdaf, switch to mf and dont touch anything, the result is sharp"

How can the picture become sharp by just setting autofocus off? That means that KP was correct at the start?
04-30-2021, 02:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I don't really understand this part : ". If I focus in pdaf, switch to mf and dont touch anything, the result is sharp"

How can the picture become sharp by just setting autofocus off? That means that KP was correct at the start?
I understand you are confused. My explanation was not overly precise.
On tripod I make a pdaf pose on 2,8, the result is OK, the same as with cdaf. If I make a pose on 5.6 with pdaf the result is blurry. If I let the pdaf work on 2,8 and then switch to MF, stop down to 5,6 and dont touch the distance scale, then the result is good. My conclusion is that pdaf communication between camera and lens lens is ok on 2,8, but is bad at 5.6. The MF setting removes the bad lens - camera communication, therefore the sharp result
regards

---------- Post added 04-30-21 at 03:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The KP AF system is definitely an overall upgrade for speed and accuracy over Pentax DSLR cameras of the K-30 time frame. However, in this case there seems to be some kind of mis-match with your KP and this Sigma lens. I presume it is a screw-driven lens. I have many of those, but not this Sigma macro lens, and in my case AF has been improved when using my screw-driven lenses with with my KP.

Yet, there is a very recent firmware upgrade (1.3) offered for the KP which addresses better accuracy for use with certain Pentax screw-driven lenses, which might also benefit use with your Sigma lens. I have not yet performed the firmware upgrade, but plan to do so soon.
thanks
The Sigma is screw driven
To be honest: I am afraid of updating. I have read that mistakes the camera get off. One of the things I am afraid of is the battery. It must be fully loaded, but I dont know the condition of my batteries. My third party battries are cheap crap., the KP was bought in 2017, the delivered battery is from 2015, My feeling is that the capacity no more is 100%. Is there an objective test I can make with a multimeter instead of "kitchen tests"
My best update solution may be to drive the long way to Copehagen and pay the dealer.
I have succeded with making troubles out of many easy installations, therefore I am afraid
04-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I understand you are confused. My explanation was not overly precise.
On tripod I make a pdaf pose on 2,8, the result is OK, the same as with cdaf. If I make a pose on 5.6 with pdaf the result is blurry. If I let the pdaf work on 2,8 and then switch to MF, stop down to 5,6 and dont touch the distance scale, then the result is good. My conclusion is that pdaf communication between camera and lens lens is ok on 2,8, but is bad at 5.6. The MF setting removes the bad lens - camera communication, therefore the sharp result
regards
Okay, so if I understand correctly, you focus with viewfinder (PDAF) at 2.8, but it's sharp only at 5.6, where the depth of field is wider. And when you focus with live view (CDAF), it's fine.

It looks like you are suffering from front-focus or back-focus. Fortunately, there is a solution. You need to enter an AF adjustment. The KP can store an AF adjustement up to 20 lens. It serves to make PDAF more precise to nail focus for a specific lens, and does not affect CDAF. Exactly what you seem to need.
04-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Okay, so if I understand correctly, you focus with viewfinder (PDAF) at 2.8, but it's sharp only at 5.6, where the depth of field is wider. And when you focus with live view (CDAF), it's fine.

It looks like you are suffering from front-focus or back-focus. Fortunately, there is a solution. You need to enter an AF adjustment. The KP can store an AF adjustement up to 20 lens. It serves to make PDAF more precise to nail focus for a specific lens, and does not affect CDAF. Exactly what you seem to need.
Thats not the case: at 2.8 pdaf the picture is sharp - at 5,6 pdaf the result is blurry. To get a sharp 5,6 I need to go to MF
04-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #14
Forum Member

thanks
The Sigma is screw driven
To be honest: I am afraid of updating. I have read that mistakes the camera get off. One of the things I am afraid of is the battery. It must be fully loaded, but I dont know the condition of my batteries. My third party battries are cheap crap., the KP was bought in 2017, the delivered battery is from 2015, My feeling is that the capacity no more is 100%. Is there an objective test I can make with a multimeter instead of "kitchen tests"
My best update solution may be to drive the long way to Copehagen and pay the dealer.
I have succeded with making troubles out of many easy installations, therefore I am afraid
How many shots can you do with a full battery? The update doesn't take long so if you can do more than 100 shots on a full battery, it should hold sufficient power to do the update.

P.S. I live in Greater Copenhagen, so you are welcome to stop by and I can help you with the update (I just did it the other day) - I have two almost brandnew batteries, we could use.
05-04-2021, 04:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I visited forummember Alan that upgraded my KP. It does not work.I hope that I am able to download some samples. I case of not succedind here uis the results
KP PDAF 2,8 gives the same result as 2,8 CDAF
PDAF is blurry
contacts are cleaned in alcohol
AF fine tune is plus 2
k30 no problems
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo