Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
is it my screen or is the histogram on all these far on the right? BTW Love the last one, exactly captures how I felt this morning And great to see another happy KP user
It can be tricky with things like bald eagles with a white head and dark body, especially in sunshine. Normal exposure will usually blow out parts of the head, losing feather detail. This has bit me in the butt when shooting bald eagles in the wild.

I'm more aware now and will scan the scene in live view with highlight alert activated. It's easy to dial in the compensation or exposure needed while watching for flashing red. It's also a good tool for adding exposure when exposing to the right to gain detail in darker areas. If there's no time or opportunity, I'll often start with -1ev, but try to keep ISO low to minimize grain when lightening darker areas.

It's important to know that highlight alert in live view will not work if focus peaking is activated, at least it's that way with the KP.

05-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent series. Congrats on the camera!
05-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I've been trying to experiment more with the settings while shooting some more bird photos at home. I ordered the 55-300 PLM lens on MPB.com last Tuesday but it hasn't even been shipped yet according to their site. I tried emailing them and calling them Thursday last week but haven't back...I'm fairly annoyed with the no response over several attempts to contact.
05-09-2021, 02:25 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote

It's important to know that highlight alert in live view will not work if focus peaking is activated, at least it's that way with the KP.
Thanks, had no idea about it (then again I don't really use LV). Do you use it (LV + focus peaking) for wildlife/non-stationary?

05-09-2021, 05:41 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
Thanks, had no idea about it (then again I don't really use LV). Do you use it (LV + focus peaking) for wildlife/non-stationary?
I normally use OVF for wildlife, and leave focus peaking off so that I use Highlight Alert. I quickly switch in and out of LV to survey the scene for overexposure of important areas.
05-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I notice that when viewing your exif data that they show the date taken as various days in 2017 and not 2021. Does this have something to do with the Sigma lens not having up to date firmware or ??
05-09-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
I notice that when viewing your exif data that they show the date taken as various days in 2017 and not 2021. Does this have something to do with the Sigma lens not having up to date firmware or ??
Nope, I never updated the camera date when I got it.

05-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
Nope, I never updated the camera date when I got it.
I updated the day and month on mine when I got it a couple weeks after Christmas... then set the year to 2020 instead of 2021...
It took me one big, giant freakout not being able to find a couple hundred photos to realize what I'd done.
When I go back and look at these in another year, and 2021 shots are mixed in with 2020, it's going to be weird...
"why is everyone wearing a mask in January, 2020?" <sigh>

-Eric