Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2021, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of great advice. I suggest listening and then picking what fits your sensibilities. You’re in good hands.

05-19-2021, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I have the same bag, and for day hikes with a camera , a water bottle, some snacks and a spare lens, it is fantastic. It's side pocket for the camera access means I can sling it to the front for a shot, then put it back if I am going to be hiking for a distance before the next scenic overlook.
I’m always surprised when someone else has tried it. That bag really punches above its weight. I find it very comfortable and super convenient. It is just enough for a light hike and photography - it doesn’t give enough room for camping gear.
05-26-2021, 05:02 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I hike and a lot of it on fairly rough, uneven trails. After breaking a couple of PLM's and a K-70 in various trail mishaps, I looked around and found a chest carrier at my camera store. This carrier system was a recent Kickstarter product: a Skout. It fits something like a shoulder holster and holds the camera securely over the right pec muscle (when mounted right-handed of course). This keeps the camera close to body core and VERY much reduces the risk of damage in a minor mishap. In PARTICULAR--instantly noted--there is no swinging as you step across logs/mount higher stones/etc. And the camera is instantly available. Works fine with KP+PLM and 16-85 which are my 2 most used hiking lenses. A huge birding lens might be a bit much possibly, but I don't have one.

There are a number of such systems. This particular one is some camera stores, at least, and at cottoncarrier[dought]com.

Last edited by jgnfld; 05-26-2021 at 05:35 AM.
07-18-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mom2mny Quote
I'm going to be vacationing in the mountains this summer. I will, of course, have my KP with me. I have the DAL 18-55 lens from my previous camera and the 55-300 PLM. What other basics would you recommend me taking with me. We will be hiking a lot. I hope to take photos of waterfalls, mountain landscape and wildlife. I'm also looking for a bag. I currently have a small shoulder bag that is a pain to hike with.
For day hikes I would suggest to look at your own comfort first. A light backpack that can take a large water bladder (or two) was an important factor for me. Easy access to the gear is less important on a hike, because when you get to a nice scenery you want to offload a bit anyway. I also have a sling over my shoulder type strap for the camera that I use when I want to have quick access to my camera..

Set a weight budget for your gear and a maximum weight you are prepared to carry. If the hike is going to be tough and temperatures are high you need more water than usual. I plan on one liter per hour. For a six hour hike that is already six kilograms. Then I decide if I'm going to take wide angle shots or medium or telephoto. My preference is medium range because then I can make do without a tripod.

For example my self imposed limit is 10kg total. Five to six kilos is for water and food. Four kilos for camera gear. I limit myself to one main lens and a second 'pacifier' or 'comfort' lens. Usually the pacifier lens is a wide angle that I rarely use then anyway.

Enjoy your vacation!!!!

07-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same bag, and for day hikes with a camera , a water bottle, some snacks and a spare lens, it is fantastic. It's side pocket for the camera access means I can sling it to the front for a shot, then put it back if I am going to be hiking for a distance before the next scenic overlook.
Where do you put the water bottle? Also do you have a way to hang a tripod on yours?
07-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Where do you put the water bottle? Also do you have a way to hang a tripod on yours?
I put the water bottle in the side, where one might put a second lens. I use the spacers to hold it from sliding around.

My bag has a tripod loop, sufficient for something like a large Joby, so maybe we don't have the same bag. I wish it had a foot pocket or strap so the tripod would be secured at top and bottom.
07-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put the water bottle in the side, where one might put a second lens. I use the spacers to hold it from sliding around.

My bag has a tripod loop, sufficient for something like a large Joby, so maybe we don't have the same bag. I wish it had a foot pocket or strap so the tripod would be secured at top and bottom.
I have a small foot pocket. I put a Siriu carbon fiber travel tripod on mine. I’ll post pics later.

08-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I covered Death Valley National Park last December between Christmas and New Year's with my KP and only 2 lenses: the 18-135mm WR and the 10-17mm DA Fish-Eye ED (which isn't overly "fishy" depending on composition technique).

It was an amazingly simple, lightweight, and for me, comprehensive way to cover my particular photo needs on this trip (although I must say I brought along my P6x7 and a MX to satisfy my film appetite).

Here's my Flickr album of the trip. All the digital images were made using the KP (the rest with the P6x7 and the MX with HIE loaded).

Cheers, Allan
08-24-2021, 03:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

If you really want an upgrade in image quality then invest in the DA 16-85mm zoom. It's bigger and heavier than your 18-55mm but image quality is on another level.

Apart from that, I'd never go anywhere without a lens that is at least f/2.8 for lower light or to isolate a subject with shallow depth of field. For that your options are many but there are some small, light and inexpensive primes available if you don't want to spend.
08-24-2021, 04:17 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CADeN make a very smart sling bag, enough for a hiking kit, that I can recommend. It's reasonably priced too:

amazon.com : CADeN Camera Bag Sling Backpack Camera Case Waterproof with Rain Cover Tripod Holder, Compatible for DSLR/SLR Mirrorless Cameras (Canon Nikon Sony Pentax) and Accessories Black : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It's highly customable. The basics is camera on one side, extra lens and filter on the other side, and other stuff in the front pocket. There is also space "above" side pockets, camera (L) < - > (R) lenses, for a small air-blower.
Padding is good. Strap is comfortable enough (not as a regular backpack with dual straps of course).

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 08-24-2021 at 04:24 AM.
08-24-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
CADeN make a very smart sling bag, enough for a hiking kit, that I can recommend. It's reasonably priced too:

amazon.com : CADeN Camera Bag Sling Backpack Camera Case Waterproof with Rain Cover Tripod Holder, Compatible for DSLR/SLR Mirrorless Cameras (Canon Nikon Sony Pentax) and Accessories Black : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It's highly customable. The basics is camera on one side, extra lens and filter on the other side, and other stuff in the front pocket. There is also space "above" side pockets, camera (L) < - > (R) lenses, for a small air-blower.
Padding is good. Strap is comfortable enough (not as a regular backpack with dual straps of course).
That’s a pretty nice looking bag.
08-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a blast in Finland with my 11-18, 20-40 and the 55-300 PLM on the KP. Pretty much covered most of the focal lengths for travel purposes.