Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KP with a D 50 1.7 in TAV mode.

Hi

I shot outside in Tav mode with my Kp and a D F50 1.7 lens. Everything was badly overexposed. I'm assuming it's because it was an F, not an FA lens. Is that correct and what, if any, modes can I use with the KP?

05-22-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There isn’t a D F lens. Do you mean the F 50 or FA 50? Was the aperture ring set on A?
05-23-2021, 02:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I’ve not infrequently run into trouble in TAv by having the shutter speed and aperture set such that even base ISO is too bright. I’ve kept winding down exposure compensation with absolutely no effect, because the one variable the camera can adjust was already as low as it would go.

I’d suggest check the exif for the overexposed shots. If they’re all at ISO 100 maybe that’s what’s going on.
05-23-2021, 04:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would also go with what Tsuken said: in daylight it's very easy to set TAv mode up with a shutter that's too slow.

Was the ISO value blinking in the OVF?

05-23-2021, 05:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post one of the photos with intact EXIF and it can probably be figured out quickly. Usually that scenario is caused by the light being much brighter than your settings are allowing for. I usually use Tv mode in bright condition to avoid that possibility.
05-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. All of this is making sense. I've been using Tav mode indoors to photograph my aquariums. This was my first foray outdoors using it. I was trying for shallow depth of field so my lens was set for 1.7 and I believe my ss was 1/180 as I wanted the option for fill flash. The location was very bright. We moved location, I switched to my 16/85 which meant my maximum aperture was 3-4 stops slower and the location was a bit shaded. I had no more trouble. It seems like time to reread the manual and maybe go with aperture priority in a shooting situation like that. This was the one semi-salvageable image. Hopefully, the EXIF is available.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butchblack Quote
Thanks. All of this is making sense. I've been using Tav mode indoors to photograph my aquariums. This was my first foray outdoors using it. I was trying for shallow depth of field so my lens was set for 1.7 and I believe my ss was 1/180 as I wanted the option for fill flash. The location was very bright. We moved location, I switched to my 16/85 which meant my maximum aperture was 3-4 stops slower and the location was a bit shaded. I had no more trouble. It seems like time to reread the manual and maybe go with aperture priority in a shooting situation like that. This was the one semi-salvageable image. Hopefully, the EXIF is available.
I note that the ISO is 100, so your shutter speed was too low for f1.7, it's overexposed.

At 1/500s, your flash didn't go off anyway.

This was an HSS situation, Butchblack!

05-24-2021, 04:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butchblack Quote
Yep, fill flash outdoors requires High-speed Sync as Ian said (or something in the whereabouts of f/8 to compensate for the slow shutter speed).

Normally I shoot Av in good light and go to TAv when light falls or when I require shutter speeds over 1/500 or so... I've ran into the exact same issue as you several times
Glad you got it sorted out!
05-24-2021, 05:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you had set your shutter speed low enough for the Flash to fire, your aperture would control the ambient lighting and the flash would control the fill illumination.
05-24-2021, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I note that the ISO is 100, so your shutter speed was too low for f1.7, it's overexposed.

At 1/500s, your flash didn't go off anyway.

This was an HSS situation, Butchblack!
Rule#1. Be sure you know how a feature works before using it. The one I posted was the only one I was able to edit anything vaguely useable. After that shot, we changed location, I changed lenses and was okay. I now know to check to make sure that it's not overexposing and to adjust the SS or aperture if the preview doesn't look right.
« RAW | New KP »