Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2021, 04:04 AM   #1

KP SDM/DC Autofocus Problem?

Hi there,

Well - as luck would have it, just 52 days out of it's 2 year warranty, my Pentax KP has developed what I believe to be some form of deep-rooted electronic issue. Basically, the SDM/DC autofocus has stopped working and the camera function has slowed down considerably. Interestingly, the autofocus continues to work for any Screw-Drive AF lens I own - just not on any SDM/DC lens such as my Pentax 18-135 ED AL (IF) WR (kit lens as supplied with the camera) or my Sigma 10-20mm DC HSM.

The symptoms are as follows - 1. AF not working as described. 2. Electronically, the camera seems very slow to page through menus via the 4 way switch etc. 3. MF indication constantly shown on status screen - does not change when AF/MF switch operated (unless using a screw drive lens). 4. Once yesterday I actually had to remove the battery to turn the camera off.

I have reset the camera via the menu, tried 2 different SDM/DC lenses, tried fully charging the battery, plus an alternative battery - all with no change. Given that the lenses are 2 different makes I feel the problem is likely within the camera body.

Has anyone else ever encountered anything similar or have any advice?

Many thanks,

Mark

05-31-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check is the two separate power contacts inside the camera mount used for lens AF motors. It sound like these lenses do not get any power for the AF.
Check that these contacts are clean and not damaged. They are spring loaded so it is possible that dirt can get them stuck pushed down with no contact for the lens (not that I ever heard of this).

Last edited by Fogel70; 05-31-2021 at 05:54 AM.
05-31-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is the KP firmware up to date?
05-31-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I had similar problems with K-30, but little different. DC lenses (Pentax, Sigma) did not focus (screw drive lenses OK), pressing the shutter button produced 4 mirror actions and just 1 picture (sometimes no picture) (still no problems with screw drive lenses). F number on LCD display changed continuously between f5.6 and some other value (still no problems with screw drive lenses). All these changes occurred after I tested the 60-250 f4 lens for sale, it presumably had bad electronics

05-31-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I had similar problems with K-30, but little different. DC lenses (Pentax, Sigma) did not focus (screw drive lenses OK), pressing the shutter button produced 4 mirror actions and just 1 picture (sometimes no picture) (still no problems with screw drive lenses). F number on LCD display changed continuously between f5.6 and some other value (still no problems with screw drive lenses). All these changes occurred after I tested the 60-250 f4 lens for sale, it presumably had bad electronics
Are you saying that a lens fried your K-30?
05-31-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a new one on me. I’d suggest checking all the contacts including the sdm/power zoom ones.
05-31-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And make sure your batteries/battery contacts are not the fault (especially after 2 years of service). Voltage issues can result in unexpected outcomes.

05-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Are you saying that a lens fried your K-30?
Yes. It is most reasonable assumption because the seller fried his own k-5.
05-31-2021, 11:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hoyerman Quote
Hi there,

Well - as luck would have it, just 52 days out of it's 2 year warranty, my Pentax KP has developed what I believe to be some form of deep-rooted electronic issue. Basically, the SDM/DC autofocus has stopped working and the camera function has slowed down considerably. Interestingly, the autofocus continues to work for any Screw-Drive AF lens I own - just not on any SDM/DC lens such as my Pentax 18-135 ED AL (IF) WR (kit lens as supplied with the camera) or my Sigma 10-20mm DC HSM.

The symptoms are as follows - 1. AF not working as described. 2. Electronically, the camera seems very slow to page through menus via the 4 way switch etc. 3. MF indication constantly shown on status screen - does not change when AF/MF switch operated (unless using a screw drive lens). 4. Once yesterday I actually had to remove the battery to turn the camera off.

I have reset the camera via the menu, tried 2 different SDM/DC lenses, tried fully charging the battery, plus an alternative battery - all with no change. Given that the lenses are 2 different makes I feel the problem is likely within the camera body.

Has anyone else ever encountered anything similar or have any advice?

Many thanks,

Mark
Back in December, our cat jumped into my lap and knocked my KP a few feet onto a carpeted floor - and suddenly my KP would not AF at all ...... with any lens.
A 'raffle' was running here - with a KP as the 'prize - and suddenly I thought I had a real reason to receive it.
Later in the day, I thought that the SR might have caused the firmware to 'qlitch' - so I took the battery out for a few minutes to force a really cold reboot.
After I put it back in ..... and the camera has acted normally ever since.
05-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Yes. It is most reasonable assumption because the seller fried his own k-5.
Yikes! I will be more careful when trying a foreign lens.
06-01-2021, 02:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone - no change so far...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I've tried the 18-135 and 10-20 lenses on my K-5, and they both work perfectly on that camera, so for me, that narrows the problem down to the KP camera body. I've checkedand cleaned the camera body contacts, used an alternative (brand new) battery - today I'll try updating the firmware (currently on 1.0). If that doesnt work, then I think its time to call Pentax and find out if they're willing to fix it just out of warranty...
06-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hope the firmware update will solve this problem. Such bad luck! Something can go wrong with even the best products. Cameras these days are complicated electronic wonders! The KP has been out for some years now, has an excellent record thus far, with reported problems being a rarity.
06-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
Sadly, nothing I’ve tried has worked so far to fix my camera, so I’ve sent it to John Pye for repair. I spoke with them today and they have received the camera and confirmed that the fault exists - and also the fact that the repair is beyond their capabilities. I’ve been told that my camera will now be sent abroad to a repair centre in France for further assessment. At this point I don’t know how long this might take - or whether or not any repair will be covered by Pentax, as the camera is less than 50 days out of warranty, but I can only hope!