Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 05:48 AM   #1

KP Malfunction Caused by Lens?

Last week on vacation, I noticed that my Pentax 18135 3.5-5.8 lens was "sticking" a bit when adjusting the zoom. Meaning, it felt like I had to get it "unstuck" to get it to zoom in. I've had the lens for years and this had never happened before. About 8 days into the vacation after using the lens quite a bit, my KP starting acting really weird. The lens no longer felt like it was "stuck", but the KP itself would do things like not power on, stay powered on after I turned it off, only stay in MF mode, and delay capturing an image after the shutter was depressed. It would also freeze on the after shot preview screen.

I was convinced my KP had gone bad somehow, but then after returning home I took the lens off the camera and a small brass piece fell out (see pic). I then tried three different lenses on the KP and everything worked correctly.

Everything points to this being a lens malfunction, but I'm baffled at how a lens issue could cause all the electronic issues with the KP noted above. And, can anyone shed any light on what this brass piece is that fell out?

Thanks!

06-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That lens has a DC drive using the SDM contacts, right? An improper connection or a weird short involving those can cause some wonky camera behavior for sure.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 06-02-2021 at 06:16 AM.
06-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That lens has a DC drive using the SDM contacts, right? An improper connection via those can cause some wonky camera behavior for sure.
Yes, DC drive with contacts. Any idea what the weird brass piece is? I suspect it came from the lens since the lens doesn't "stick" when adjusting zoom anymore, but just wanting to make sure nothing fell out of the body itself.

Unfortunately the lens is now hosed.
06-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
Yes, DC drive with contacts. Any idea what the weird brass piece is? I suspect it came from the lens since the lens doesn't "stick" when adjusting zoom anymore, but just wanting to make sure nothing fell out of the body itself.

Unfortunately the lens is now hosed.
Don't know what that piece is, but don't think it came from the camera.

06-02-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are both SDM contacts on the lens intact? That piece looks too big for it to be one of them unless the size is distorted in the picture but it would explain the behavior.
06-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's a brass shim from inside the lens.

It;s supposed to be flat but obviously it got chewed up when it came loose internally. That's why you felt the resistance in the zoom.
It may have also contacted the circuit board in the lens causing the electronic issues.

The lens will have to be disassembled to repair (assuming the electronics are not damaged).
Unless you can repair it yourself it is a parts lens only at this point.
06-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, they are intact. Odd thing is the lens works on my old K-r, but doesn't on the KP. But on both the zoom is rough feeling.

06-02-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

There are a number of brass parts all around the rear part of the lens. You can see them if zooming out to 135 mm and look inside .
One of them might have gone loose and then got deformed while zooming.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A530F  Photo 
06-02-2021, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's one of these. There could be 2, 4 or more of them in total. They sit between the inner and outer barrel assemblies for alignment and probably infinity calibration.

The screws holding them down have come loose or backed out. There may be more loose parts floating around inside the lens. Personally I would not use the lens anymore on a camera body in case it damaged the cameras electronics.

06-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your KP operates perfectly with other lenses, it is good to go. That part coming detached is one of those unfortunate and rare occurrences. But the damaged lens should not be used on any camera until it is repaired, or if too expensive then replace it with a new one. I've had my DA 18-135mm for 10 years, use it fairly often, and without any problem. I don't even have zoom creep as some others have reported. My zoom action remains well-damped. But I never carry the camera loose with only a neck strap, which I don't use at all. It sits in my hip holster case until I draw it out for use.

Hopefully, a repair will not be costly, and all will be fine again. The DA 18-135mm is an exceptionally useful and fine-performing lens.
06-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well, one well known camera shop online said they wouldn't be able to repair it, and a local shop with an in-house technician said that it would probably run $200 or more to repair and advised against it (and even more brass fell out of it). They explained that the piece that fell out originally is for the AF mechanism, and another brass piece that fell out later typically runs between the two cylinders and came undone and out. The lens is now a paperweight unfortunately.
06-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunate indeed! The DA 18-135mm lens has been among the more solid, and long-term dependable in the Pentax line of APS-C DSLR lenses, with relatively few complaints showing up. Sympathy for your misfortune!