Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2021, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! My KP has produced really nice pictures for me, and I love the functionality. Enjoy!

06-19-2021, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
I'm amazed to see the KP has been discontinued - it seems that it only just came out! I bought mine from Amazon early 2020, at what seemed an amazing price then - £645 in the UK. I see they're still available on Amazon, but at £999 and limited stock.
The pricing is weird, I'm UK based as well and waiting for a second hand one to become available at a reasonable price, as currently they are going for not much less than you paid new and a lot more than a second hand K70
06-21-2021, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So tempted by the KP, I intend to rent one for the upcoming long weekend so I can make the most of it in a broad set of conditions and uses.
06-21-2021, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I am loving the KP. I bought it in late 2019, but stayed inside for most of the last year cuz COVID. Only the last couple of months have I been using it much -- major upgrade from my previous K-5. It is a little weird is was discontinued. Seems like whenever they make something a little different it doesn't last that long.

06-21-2021, 06:51 AM - 3 Likes   #20

I just bout a used KP and it arrived Friday. I have been having fun getting used to the controls and using it.

Jim
06-21-2021, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I am loving the KP. I bought it in late 2019, but stayed inside for most of the last year cuz COVID. Only the last couple of months have I been using it much -- major upgrade from my previous K-5. It is a little weird is was discontinued. Seems like whenever they make something a little different it doesn't last that long.
Introduced early 2017, that's a long cycle these days I think.
06-21-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angulon Quote
Introduced early 2017, that's a long cycle these days I think.
Yet the K-70 is still around. KP seems to be testing the waters of different ergonomics, controls, etc but is not really considered (by Pentax) as part of the main line-up. Which is fine -- they need to have some consistency among different classes and not force everyone at a certain price point to decide if they want the oddball model. It really is a terrific camera though. My only wish is that it had the full tilt-swivel rear screen instead of just tilt.

06-22-2021, 04:28 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Volvo244T Quote
I still don't get that. The IQ of the K-70 is nearly as good as the KP, and still very close to the K-3 III. Considering that the cell phone market has all but wiped-out the entry-level DSLR market, I think the K-70 should have been the one to go - especially that it's been out longer, *and* is subject to the aperture block failures like the K-50 and K-30 before it.
Agreed.
Also, i owned ME & ME Super (for you "youngsters", they were 35mm film cameras), and, every time i pick up the Kp, i have a "flashback", and then i start using the modern, digital-camera features, . . . . . . . . no regrets here.
LUV the Kp
06-22-2021, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
So tempted by the KP, I intend to rent one for the upcoming long weekend so I can make the most of it in a broad set of conditions and uses.
It’s a good camera. I resisted it for a long time and when I caved it wasn’t a mistake. The grips take time to adjust to - renting one may require a little more time.

ADDED:
My first two days with the KP left me wondering if I had made a mistake. The grip put more pressure on my fingers and I had just had a short bit of "trigger finger" which left me wondering if this was such a hot idea. The feel of the grip got more natural very quickly. It is not a camera I can pick up and operate with one hand unlike the K-3 - but that's not a great way to work a camera anyway.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-29-2021 at 11:26 AM.
06-22-2021, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... My only wish is that it had the full tilt-swivel rear screen instead of just tilt.
I don't mind the tilt, on the cameras I've had with full articulate, including the K-S2 I found it got in the way at times.
06-22-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angulon Quote
I don't mind the tilt, on the cameras I've had with full articulate, including the K-S2 I found it got in the way at times.
It is a minor quibble -- the tilt helps with basic low & high handheld shots, which is usually all that is needed. But the full range is useful too sometimes. I rarely even use the tilt, but when you get in a tight spot you're thinking gee if it could only go this way...
06-23-2021, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #27

I agree with both "Angulon", and with "vonBaloney".
I have a Nikon Coolpix L830 => small, compct, 34x zoom, AA batteries => it goes everywhere with me. It has a simple "Tilt" LCD, same as Kp, so i was accustomed to using it. Very handy if camera held above head, or low down, close to ground. Also pretty good when SUN on LCD screen is a problem, and, of course, with the Kp, we have the OVF available.
I have also had a K-70, since they first came available. Gave the first one to my granson, for Christmas, 2018. Soon missed that extra flexibility of the fully fold-out LCD in some circumstances, although, when it is open, i am nervous about 'catching' it on something. I ONLY shoot hand-held. But, the LCD can be folded back to a convential position, and folded away, to PROTECT the LCD, I am happy carrying the K-70 anywhere, anytime, any weather, with the LCD safely tucked away, out of harm's way.
Us pentax users can be a tough bunch. Usually complain, . . . . "if only my XX camera also had . . . . . ". Maybe this is because the cameras are so tough, and so reliable . . . . . hence the massive disappointment with the 00 series ABF problem. After all, any "proper" camera repair shop can easily fix it, usually for a modest fee (except in USA, apparently). In Australia, a few years back, i purchased a used K-50 from B&H, and it arrived with ABF. B&H sent me a replacement, and told me to keep the faulty one, so, i sent it to CRK, in Melbourne, and they repaired it, and called it 'warranty', no charge. Ended up with 2 good cameras. Not in the USA !!!!!
06-23-2021, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha thats BOGOF.

---------- Post added 06-23-21 at 05:41 AM ----------

& Cheers to CR Kennedy
06-23-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
But, the LCD can be folded back to a convential position, and folded away, to PROTECT the LCD, I am happy carrying the K-70 anywhere, anytime, any weather, with the LCD safely tucked away, out of harm's way.
I actually forgot about that -- I love screens that can be flipped backwards/inwards for extra protection.
06-23-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I actually forgot about that -- I love screens that can be flipped backwards/inwards for extra protection.
I just got an EM5 II with a screen like that, I love it! I can hold the camera much less gingerly when there's no screen exposed.