Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2021, 04:38 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Finally bought a kp

When I joined this forum 18 months ago I was trying to decide between a kp and and a k 70.After thinking for 18 months I finally decided on a kp. I think it was the last one in Australia due to my procrastinating. I have had it for 4 weeks and unfortunately haven't had much time to play with it yet, however I have managed a few shots. Dad was playing with the forge last week and I was impressed with it in the dark shed. At the moment I am only on auto, but when I get time to sit and play will explore all of it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
06-07-2021, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! The camera is quite capable and you will love it.
06-07-2021, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Right on, enjoy!
06-07-2021, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4

It's a keeper! Upgrade the firmware to the latest. Definitely improves autofocus a bit.

06-07-2021, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome and congrats on the KP!
06-07-2021, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Enjoy your KP, it really is a very good camera
As mentioned, perform a firmware update, it does seem to make a difference to the (already quite good) autofocus.
One tip :- if you're not familiar with TAv mode, spend some time familiarising yourself. With the exceptional low-light capabilities of the KP, the auto-ISO feature of TAv mode is rarely a consideration and can allow some really adventurous photography
Good luck
06-07-2021, 07:41 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats- you are in for a lot of enjoyment from this exceptional camera! Which prior camera have you been shooting with? For fully automated exposure, it generally does a good job with the mode dial set on "Auto" but then the camera is selecting from many different categories of settings and not revealing all that are possible and are being used. And most controls are disconnected and adjustments disallowed. Better to instead use the "P" Program mode, which only sets your aperture, shutter speed, and the ISO if it is set to auto. You can also then access the exclusive Pentax Hyper System to instantly override any of these parameters. Other brands do not have this useful feature.

Once you have made adjustments available, be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" with your thumb dial, especially in the more often-used default "Bright" category. This will ensure the best fine detail in images for the equality of lens you are using. The KP's processor is exceptional for great results right out of the camera.

06-08-2021, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Congrats- you are in for a lot of enjoyment from this exceptional camera! Which prior camera have you been shooting with? For fully automated exposure, it generally does a good job with the mode dial set on "Auto" but then the camera is selecting from many different categories of settings and not revealing all that are possible and are being used. And most controls are disconnected and adjustments disallowed. Better to instead use the "P" Program mode, which only sets your aperture, shutter speed, and the ISO if it is set to auto. You can also then access the exclusive Pentax Hyper System to instantly override any of these parameters. Other brands do not have this useful feature.

Once you have made adjustments available, be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" with your thumb dial, especially in the more often-used default "Bright" category. This will ensure the best fine detail in images for the equality of lens you are using. The KP's processor is exceptional for great results right out of the camera.
Thanks for the info. I have been using a k200D, which I bought in 2008. I need to find time to sit and read and play, and at the moment spare time is a bit short.
06-15-2021, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My KP is just now approaching
2 years, no complaints at all, one of the things I was happy with when I received it was that it has a manufacture date of only 6 weeks before delivered, so it was 'brand new' as they say.
06-16-2021, 01:54 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Forum Member

I have just bought one too, just getting used to it as it feels different in the handling, love the quality of images that come from it and shake reduction possibilities, nice buy, enjoy your camera
06-16-2021, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyejason Quote
I have just bought one too, just getting used to it as it feels different in the handling, love the quality of images that come from it and shake reduction possibilities, nice buy, enjoy your camera
The KP was probably the value of the year in 2020 on into early 2021. Sad that it's no longer in production.
06-16-2021, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
The KP was probably the value of the year in 2020 on into early 2021. Sad that it's no longer in production.
I finally bought one during the blow out deals right before the k3iii was released. I could kick myself for waiting so long! Great camera.
06-16-2021, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm amazed to see the KP has been discontinued - it seems that it only just came out! I bought mine from Amazon early 2020, at what seemed an amazing price then - £645 in the UK. I see they're still available on Amazon, but at £999 and limited stock.
06-16-2021, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Photos: Albums
Wow the KP is discontinued - Good thing u bought it
06-19-2021, 10:44 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by longbo Quote
I'm amazed to see the KP has been discontinued - it seems that it only just came out! I bought mine from Amazon early 2020, at what seemed an amazing price then - £645 in the UK. I see they're still available on Amazon, but at £999 and limited stock.
I still don't get that. The IQ of the K-70 is nearly as good as the KP, and still very close to the K-3 III. Considering that the cell phone market has all but wiped-out the entry-level DSLR market, I think the K-70 should have been the one to go - especially that it's been out longer, *and* is subject to the aperture block failures like the K-50 and K-30 before it.