Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lack of details /reviews didn't help. Since dxo failed to look it over I assume the KP would have an 84-85ish rating, based on nikon 24Mpx sensors near its age. Some find dxo data more valuable than others, so that missing result lessens the enthusiasm of some potential buyers.

06-26-2021, 11:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The KP has certainly been a polarizing camera for some. I am not a fan of its control layout but the image quality is amazing so I am definitely tempted now and then despite the (now) sky-high price.

Last edited by Theov39; 06-27-2021 at 02:58 AM.
06-27-2021, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #18
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The reasons I didn’t bite on the KP originally: smaller buffer, lower frames per second, weaker flash, no IR remote, etc all have seemed such trivial complaints in retrospect. Now that I own it the poor k-3 is a shelf queen.
These were my initial thoughts about the KP until I seriously decided to replace my K5 and spent time looking at different systems before coming full circle to the KP and finding that actually these things didn't matter that much to me. I think the lack of a top plate display was the other sticking point, which turned out not to be an issue. Of all of them the lack of an IR remote is the only one that wrankles as I'd really gotten used to that and my old phone is a bit slow running Image Sync but really that's minor, the KP and the LTd series of lenses work for me in all ways of aesthetics, ergonomics, size and weight and of course IQ.

Most of the reviews were hit and miss and some plain awful, the review of the KP on here was excellent and the video by Mattias Burling, already linked above were decisive in me deciding that the KP hit my needs and price point perfectly. No regrets even though I sometimes look at full frame mirrorless cameras with a certain glean until the cold reality of the sheer cost of the darn things and the thought of not being able to use the Ltd series rudely brings me back to reality, that and the fact, as an average scrooglike hobby photographer I have no need of such a system.

Last edited by 3by2; 06-27-2021 at 02:04 AM.
06-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In terms of reviews, I thought the DPR editorial one (not DPR TV) was a good read and painted it in a positive light.

06-27-2021, 02:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’ll find user feedback more reliable than YouTube reviews by people who don’t actually use the camera except for a video review. I’ve seen little but praise for this unexpectedly good camera. No, I don’t have one ... not yet.
06-27-2021, 04:56 AM - 5 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my case, I bought a K70 over the KP because I only wanted a stopgap until the K3-3 came out. I enjoyed the K70 for two years and when I finally got my K3-3 recently, I sold the K70. I felt I needed a second camera though so I just bought this!

06-27-2021, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Reviewers and outsiders may not understand the charms of the KP, but us people on the bright side love the KP.

I have a KP and I would like nothing else!

06-27-2021, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
....... I felt I needed a second camera though so I just bought this!
That's pretty sexy.
06-27-2021, 06:41 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my case, I bought a K70 over the KP because I only wanted a stopgap until the K3-3 came out. I enjoyed the K70 for two years and when I finally got my K3-3 recently, I sold the K70. I felt I needed a second camera though so I just bought this!
Serious question: Does it include the standard grips so you can compare them?
06-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Serious question: Does it include the standard grips so you can compare them?
I don't think so. Standard grips don't appear in any of the photos or description but I won't know for sure until I receive it.
I don't think I would use the standard grip anyway as the wood looks so good!
06-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice looking camera, specs are great, built nicely and much appreciated from the Pentaxians. It’s a unique child, not weirdly though. If it wasn’t for the €€ I would probably own one.
06-27-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the J-Limited KP and, more specifically the red one is breathtaking. I can see it dividing opinion though, between those who love it and those who have no taste at all

Re. Buying the KP, Mattias Burling helped to convince me but the deal was the clincher. 280 clicks, not mint but very good, all for £540
06-27-2021, 02:56 PM - 4 Likes   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I felt I needed a second camera though so I just bought this!
If ever there is a perfect marriage of camera and lens in the Pentax system, it's the KP and DA 20-40 Ltd. And not just because each has such great retro looks. Perfectly balanced and just wonderful image quality in a compact package.

Last edited by Des; 06-27-2021 at 03:16 PM.
06-27-2021, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
If ever there is a perfect marriage of camera and lens in the Pentax system, it's the KP and DA 20-40 Ltd. And not just because each has such great retro looks. Perfectly balanced and just wonderful image quality in a compact package.

I have a 20-40mm on the way so this is good to hear and see such wonderful examples. I am very excited
06-27-2021, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I don't think so. Standard grips don't appear in any of the photos or description but I won't know for sure until I receive it.
I don't think I would use the standard grip anyway as the wood looks so good!
That's a great solution to the KP 'grip problem'. One thing that has held me off getting the KP (besides the price!) has been the relative lack of depth, for me, of the included three grips. Ever the biggest grip is quite small. Of course, the positive virtue of that is that it makes a nice compact camera.

Is that an official Pentax accessory grip? If not, whoever made that custom grip could have a good sideline business. Suspect there would be plenty of demand.