Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2021, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
That's a great solution to the KP 'grip problem'. One thing that has held me off getting the KP (besides the price!) has been the relative lack of depth, for me, of the included three grips. Ever the biggest grip is quite small. Of course, the positive virtue of that is that it makes a nice compact camera.

Is that an official Pentax accessory grip? If not, whoever made that custom grip could have a good sideline business. Suspect there would be plenty of demand.
The grip was only ever made available with a camera. They aren’t for sale sadly.

06-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

A while back I asked pretty much the same question in a "KP look and feel thread" KP look and feel - PentaxForums.com as the INSTANT I picked up my KP my tactile senses went, "WOW!". Truly wonderful ergonomics IMO. Some responses may be interesting.
06-27-2021, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen lots of love for the KP. Its relatively compact uniqueness and versatility of form and function have been greatly appreciated, along with its excellent imaging. I found it interesting how fast the KP stock disappeared off the shelves when the new K-3 III finally showed up, and then the KP price having gone up instead of down as had always been the case in the past with left over stock of a discontinued model after the arrival of a new model. Those who had been waiting pounced. Such has been the high interest in the KP, which continues!
06-28-2021, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's interesting to see the KP pricing all over the place. Just on 2 years ago I bought my silver KP, brand new, from the Australian Pentax importer (C. R. Kennedy) for $AUD850 (about $US600) and it included, in that price, the GPS unit. Odd thing was you could buy it without the GPS unit for the same price?!?

06-28-2021, 12:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, the prices for new old stock, or mint used KPs are higher than before it was discontinued.
06-28-2021, 01:33 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's a great solution to the KP 'grip problem'. One thing that has held me off getting the KP (besides the price!) has been the relative lack of depth, for me, of the included three grips. Ever the biggest grip is quite small. Of course, the positive virtue of that is that it makes a nice compact camera.

Is that an official Pentax accessory grip? If not, whoever made that custom grip could have a good sideline business. Suspect there would be plenty of demand.
Like @UncleVanya said, the grip is specific to this version. It is a KP J-Limited which comes with a number of design features. This came in blue or red and was only available in Japan. They are doing a similar thing with the K1. Just google "Pentax J-Limited"
06-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my KP just fine, it is the aps-c body that is on the tripod at all times with a long lens. It has super features and capability.
The only "complaint" I have about the KP is the smaller 109 battery used and its shorter life; but I guess there was just not enough room in the compact body for the Li 90.

I do have the grip, that will hold the larger capacity battery, but then the camera grows a bit.

07-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Until now it's my favorite APSC body, i like it a lot. Maybe that will change whenever I get the K3-3
07-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #39
Pentaxian

One thing that has held me off getting the KP (besides the price!) has been the relative lack of depth, for me, of the included three grips. Ever the biggest grip is quite small. Of course, the positive virtue of that is that it makes a nice compact camera.
I use the smallest grip, which gives me ergonomics similar to the "Super Program", which I used for over twelve years; I have the two other stored .... somewhere.
My two-handed hold dates back to then.
07-09-2021, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use the smallest grip, which gives me ergonomics similar to the "Super Program", which I used for over twelve years; I have the two other stored .... somewhere.
My two-handed hold dates back to then.
aaah yes.
Remember those old 35mm film cameras' "User-Manuals" : they included a wonderful picture showing how to hold a camera correctly, elbows, left hand, breathing?
No wonder us older Pentaxians love the Kp.
07-10-2021, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
aaah yes.
Remember those old 35mm film cameras' "User-Manuals" : they included a wonderful picture showing how to hold a camera correctly, elbows, left hand, breathing?
Absolutely!!
07-10-2021, 05:33 AM   #42
dlhawes

They were advertised at $550 or so just before that model was discontinued. The day after the discontinuance, there were no more new ones advertised. Now, I've seen used ones selling for over a thousand bucks. So there's no question that there is residual demand. Instead of discontinuing the thing, they should have kept it going and raised the price by a couple hundred bucks. Sometimes the wrong price, whether too high or too low, can stifle demand.
07-10-2021, 05:48 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
aaah yes.
Because of Winters around here - when a person’s head can be surrounded by frozen ‘breath’, I got in the habit of holding my breath for the moment before I trip the shutter
07-10-2021, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
They were advertised at $550 or so just before that model was discontinued. The day after the discontinuance, there were no more new ones advertised. Now, I've seen used ones selling for over a thousand bucks. So there's no question that there is residual demand. Instead of discontinuing the thing, they should have kept it going and raised the price by a couple hundred bucks. Sometimes the wrong price, whether too high or too low, can stifle demand.
Good point. Perhaps just a modest rise to nudge those who kept holding back for the price to go ever lower. I thought it got to the point of ridiculously low. When it dropped below $800 USD, I found that very low for this quality of camera! Those waiting were dismayed when the camera went discontinued and the price climbed instead of dropping!
07-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I held off purchasing the KP for a long time. The quality of the photos from the KP posted on this forum convinced me that it was a worthwhile upgrade from my K5 IIs. I found a lightly used model for $550 on Amazon, but had to purchase the large Grip from B&H. The small grip included with the camera was not enough for heavy lenses. Since purchasing, I have enjoyed having the high iso capability and better autofocus of the KP. It's not the greatest for birds in flight, but good focus can be obtained with practice. I have not missed the top screen. I have much to learn about the camera. It is capable of producing high quality photos.