Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The KP is not under appreciated but I think rather an interesting style experiment. Nice retro design and full of specs. Ergonomics, hm.., not so fun from what the crowd states. Popularity is a matter of price too. It was more expensive than the K-70, far less than the ff, so it seems someone would really want that specific combination of specs and looks to dive into that. So yes, a KP in a K-70 -like METAL body would be great. I wonder if this is gonna hit the market first, or the K-1ii successor. ...

07-04-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #17

I'm with Adam on that the lower end models may go away. Either we'll see a KP replacement (KPii) or something between the KP and K-70 that replaces them both.
07-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The K-3ii was discontinued a fair bit before the K-3iii came out, so not necessarily the case.
2019...that would be two (2) years ago.

Steve
07-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm with Adam on that the lower end models may go away. Either we'll see a KP replacement (KPii) or something between the KP and K-70 that replaces them both.
...or we go back to the two line strategy that existed before the K-S1/K-S2 or maybe a K-S3?

The complicating factor is that the K-70 is the model that is overdue for a replacement.

Steve

07-04-2021, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

There is a vast chasm in the current lineup between the K70 and K3 III. Here's hoping it comes soon. The glacial rollout of the K3 III needs no repetition.
07-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

As far as i heard about, or as far as i could guess, no.
Only K3 and K1 product lines will go under the Pentax brand.
07-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I seem to recall a recent new thread about a patent application for a new Pentax camera - or bits of it (?). But maybe that was found to be something related to the K-3iii. Anyway, Ricoh/Pentax will be along with something soon enough.

07-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I vote for the previously suggested camera that would be between the K-70 and KP. I can't see Pentax having more than three concurrent k-mount DSLR's for sale at the same time. I also can't see them not having a camera "below" the K-3 III.

Pentax having a lower cost model where they can try some different things that may not be as interesting to the average professional user of their products is a useful way to try new things as well as give the consumer a chance to try some different things here and there. KP, KS-1, KS-2 etc were good for this sort of thing. I hope they keep on that path.
07-04-2021, 11:34 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I also can't see them not having a camera "below" the K-3 III.
Me neither - that would simply leave a too big part of the users with nothing. I'm 99,99% certain Ricoh agree. But "what" are they cooking on? I was hoping there was any signs or rumours of any kind by now, since KP is discontinued.
07-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #25

I confide that Pentax will introduce an Pentax KP/K-70 substitute because the K-3 III belongs at high end (too expensive).
I hope that uses a backlight sensor.
07-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
So - what do you Pentaxians think; will Ricoh bless us with a successor to Pentax KP ?

Is there any kind of hints or rumours of any kind known at this present?

After falling completely in love with my KP, which I consider the best Pentax walkaround APS-C to date (yes I do),
I sincerely hope Ricoh will make it happen.

((And buying a second original Pentax KP now, when the prices skyrocket, is a bit out of reach for some of us I suspect.))
As I commented in another thread, I believe that Pentax originally thought of the K-1 as the flagship, and the KP as the head of their “APS-C” line. Over time, they realized that enough time has passed for people to expect the top “APS-C” camera to have certain characteristics, so they started work on the K-3iii. The KP is not a ‘small’ camera by any means - it is larger than my “Super Program” from the Age of Film, for example. I do expect certain technology from the K-3iii to eventually make its way down to the lower-tier “APS-C”, but to be incorporated in the K-70 successor. I am enjoying my KP …… but I believe it will turn out to be one of a kind.
07-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #27

Guess I'm not part of this party.

I have progressed through (and still have) the K10d, K20d, K-5, K-3, K-1, and K-70, along with the 15, 21, 35, 40, and 70 compact prime lenses. Great results and enjoyment from them all.
While the full-frame K-1 delivers, I often carry the K-70 because of its smaller size, full-articulated LCD screen, and built-in flash. FWIW, my go-to lens has always been the 21mm.

Oh, and I don't do video or zoom lenses (I'm 76 years old and been in photography since I was a teen.)

See Here Now, Gone Before Long
07-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #28

Love my KP! I've seen a lot of press elsewhere about the new Nikon with its "retro design." What about the KP?!
07-05-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As I commented in another thread, I believe that Pentax originally thought of the K-1 as the flagship, and the KP as the head of their “APS-C” line. Over time, they realized that enough time has passed for people to expect the top “APS-C” camera to have certain characteristics, so they started work on the K-3iii. The KP is not a ‘small’ camera by any means - it is larger than my “Super Program” from the Age of Film, for example. I do expect certain technology from the K-3iii to eventually make its way down to the lower-tier “APS-C”, but to be incorporated in the K-70 successor. I am enjoying my KP …… but I believe it will turn out to be one of a kind.
Most Pentax cameras are one of a kind. With Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony there is little outward change, they all look the same, but Pentax K30/50/70 K-S1/2 all different. The K30 & KP are my favourites but all the features and options mean the KP takes some beating
07-05-2021, 09:10 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me in as someone who loves their KP.

Sure I shoot my K-1 a whole bunch, and have a K-1ii as an auxiliary/backup camera when I need it, but the KP is always in the bag too. It's my main timelapse camera, plus my main street walk camera. IQ of a K-1 but ultra compact for a MILC.

94,000 shutter count so far, and I'll probably be shooting it until it falls apart.

Pentax, if you're reading the forums, the KP is a perfect example of why I love the brand.