Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #46
Forum Member

But what if there is no entry to the entry level, no matter what one considers to be what level that might be… If nor Ricoh, or Pentax is to be sold in large area’s of a continent, changes are it goes the same way the Dodo did…

07-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And calling it entry level runs counter to wanting to be a premier brand.
So you don’t enter a “premier” brand?
Then call it a “first level” or “lowest level”, or “Ishcabibill”.
The days are long past when the name ‘Pentax’ was a selling point.
If they won’t compare features ….

added: I just got email from Adorama - selling Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, and {later down the page}, Fujifilm.
I guess they would sell me Pentax, if I begged enough

Last edited by reh321; 07-05-2021 at 01:22 PM.
07-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #48

Lets hope that there are no other KPs planned. That camera was big problem. Part of customers was waiting for K3 replacement and part abandoned Pentax after some time when it was clear, that KP was used as K3 successor.
07-05-2021, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
…That camera was big problem. Part of customers was waiting for K3 replacement and part abandoned Pentax after some time when it was clear, that KP was used as K3 successor.
For a lot of KP-owners it was the best step since years, being able to own a
very well priced camera, great value for money with very versatile features. Can’t see a problem with that.

07-05-2021, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lets hope that there are no other KPs planned. That camera was big problem. Part of customers was waiting for K3 replacement and part abandoned Pentax after some time when it was clear, that KP was used as K3 successor.
KP made me stay with Pentax.
07-05-2021, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The.KP may well have opened Pentax to a new segment. Pentax would do well to keep the idea behind the KP going. It was a bit of a flawed attempt (not badly). Honing the KP to perfection would be great. If they make a ff KP I would consider selling my k-1 even if its against my principles to.upgrade for small improvements.
07-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m here just waiting on a K1 mk III hahah one day hopefully soon!

07-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLapin Quote
But what if there is no entry to the entry level, no matter what one considers to be what level that might be… If nor Ricoh, or Pentax is to be sold in large area’s of a continent, changes are it goes the same way the Dodo did…
Retail is dying anyway. It's just an overhead machine, whether we like it or not.
Most people I know buy almost exclusively online... and Pentax is on sale there.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 02:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So you don’t enter a “premier” brand?
Then call it a “first level” or “lowest level”, or “Ishcabibill”.
The days are long past when the name ‘Pentax’ was a selling point.
If they won’t compare features ….
If your first Pentax camera is a 645z, is that your entry level?
07-05-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But, now there is the new K-3iii. And it costs more than the full-frame K-1ii.

The KP is a good camera; I occasionally use my wife's and find it convenient and very similar to the K-1 for controls. Take the focus system, sensor and electronics guts of the K-3iii and put it in a KP like body with the existing KP pentaprism, shutter and flash. Slow down the processor to reduce power consumption, shoehorn in the D-LI90 battery and upgrade flippy screen to touch. Keep single SD card, but go UHS-II. Sell for about same as KP was selling for. What's not to like???

Whether that happens... ...up to Ricoh!
07-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #55
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
But, now there is the new K-3iii. And it costs more than the full-frame K-1ii.

The KP is a good camera; I occasionally use my wife's and find it convenient and very similar to the K-1 for controls. Take the focus system, sensor and electronics guts of the K-3iii and put it in a KP like body with the existing KP pentaprism, shutter and flash. Slow down the processor to reduce power consumption, shoehorn in the D-LI90 battery and upgrade flippy screen to touch. Keep single SD card, but go UHS-II. Sell for about same as KP was selling for. What's not to like???

You forgot put the IR sensor back in but apart from that, yeah.
07-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If your first Pentax camera is a 645z, is that your entry level?
In this hypothetical case, yes.
07-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Take the focus system, sensor and electronics guts of the K-3iii and put it in a KP like body with the existing KP pentaprism, shutter and flash. Slow down the processor to reduce power consumption, shoehorn in the D-LI90 battery and upgrade flippy screen to touch. Keep single SD card, but go UHS-II. Sell for about same as KP was selling for. What's not to like???

I think Pentax will do that, but
1. use K-70 instead of KP
2. keep current K-70 battery
3. not ‘cripple’ processor
4. increase price, but keep it under $1K
07-05-2021, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This idea that the KP has been somewhat of a failure is simply not true. The fact is, there is no such thing as a camera design that pleases everyone and anyone completely. Some people are only comfortable with a camera of a certain size and holding only a certain way, etc. Obviously, those whose shooting encompasses need for dual card slots, and fast FPS burst shooting with a deep buffer, were not targeted with the KP's design. But this is also true of the K-1. Obviously there is a need for a flagship APS-C and a flagship FF design, as the two have distinct advantages, though they overlap. It is very common for a new model's sales to go slowly for a time until the price comes down. Though some are happy to jump on a new model right away, paying the full intro price, most people do not.

To further emphasize the attractiveness of the KP, the remaining stock disappeared in record time after the K-3 III came. This caused the price to increase- something I have never seen happen with an outgoing model, over many decades!!

What is and has been the main trend with the camera market? A big swing to mirrorless, is what. Yeah, there's the "smart" phones, but that kind of general photo taking need has always been there as in compact P/S cameras, which is what the phones actually do replace, not comparable to what mirrorless cameras can offer for serious and challenging photography. One of the major aspects of the KP's design and appeal has been as a DSLR alternative option to upscale APS-C mirrorless offerings. Close in size, with a little more weight due to the OVF, but having a wealth of features and superior control systems. The choice of grip sizes was another factor in its command over those mirrorless models.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
KP made me stay with Pentax.
No doubt you are not alone. Many would have been otherwise drawn over into the mirrorless options. I have also seen many postings appear over the last 3 years or so expressing great interest in the KP after having shopped the APS-C mirrorless field. The KP has the tiltable rear EVF, which is useful when shooting on tripod from a lower angle to avoid having to bend over, as well as the OVF. It has its many other advantages in a still compact but very well built design.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-05-2021 at 05:44 PM.
07-05-2021, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The choice of grip sizes was another factor in its command over those mirrorless models.
Except that by the time many of us bought into the KP, the larger grips were not available for purchase, at least not in my country.
When the interchangeable grip was revealed, I thought they may have been planning to use it for something really innovative.
The grip could have been used for adding features to the camera like a GPS/compass unit or storage for spare cards or a charger.
Because the camera was sold (in Australia) with the smallest grip, its true ergonomic potential would not have been realised by many first time users of the camera.

So if Pentax does continue with this camera layout in a future model, I hope they package a bigger grip as standard and include some innovative grip options like an O-GPS grip.

(Also, I'd like a bigger flash).
07-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is a good camera; I occasionally use my wife's and find it convenient and very similar to the K-1 for controls
Absolutely. Another important factor in the KP's design is in providing pro and advanced photographers with an APS-C alternative field camera to their K-1 when in need of more compact carrying and for the specific advantages APS-C can bring, along with superb performance. The KP's 7fps burst shooting is not quite up to the APS-C flagship standards, but still very good especially for those not into this type of shooting often. All-in-all, a brilliant design, addressing the market trends and the needs of advanced photographers in an advanced, well-built camera. I now have the K-1 II and love it, but I still make extensive use of the KP.

As to "entry-level, this has always been a less expensive "serious" camera that is one able to perform where PS cameras or phones fall short. The appeal is for those who have become frustrated with those shortcomings, and want to break into using a "real" camera at a lower price point. As we know, this type of camera usually comes with some limitations in build quality, lens compatibility, and control features. What Pentax has traditionally done, is offer a better, more well-featured camera at or not much more than the lesser products of the competition. All Ricoh need to do now is find a company that can make a solenoid as good and as reliable as the old ones used for decades in models made before about 10 years ago.

To offer a camera having the features and performance of the K-70 along with WR construction at that price point is extraordinary. But it is not a KP. It cannot compete with the high-end APS-C mirrorless market, nor is it a suitable alternate to the K-1, nor does it mate as well with the DA Limiteds. The K-3 III certainly cannot compete against the high-end APS-C mirrorless draw. The appeal of the KP is now proven beyond any doubt, and it might well promote the DSLR over mirrorless, and having that as a mid-point model between "entry" and the K-3 III is not a bad way to go.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-05-2021 at 05:42 PM.