Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2021, 03:34 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will there be a Pentax KP mark II ?

So - what do you Pentaxians think; will Ricoh bless us with a successor to Pentax KP ?

Is there any kind of hints or rumours of any kind known at this present?

After falling completely in love with my KP, which I consider the best Pentax walkaround APS-C to date (yes I do),
I sincerely hope Ricoh will make it happen.

((And buying a second original Pentax KP now, when the prices skyrocket, is a bit out of reach for some of us I suspect.))

07-04-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

My thoughts … the KP was a bit of a design exercise, "how small can we make a fully featured DSLR". It was probably discontinued for one of two reasons … either it wasn't as popular as hoped or electronic component shortages. If the latter, it may re-emerge, either like a phoenix or re-vamped as a KPii.
I'd suggest the next APS-C camera could be a K-70ii, incorporating some/all of the advances developed for the KP but in the more "standard Pentax" body, with a fully articulated screen and built-in flash, maybe even facility for a battery grip.
I own and use both the K-70 and the KP, they both have their advantages. Taking the KP innards and grafting them into a K-70 body could be the best solution a that price-point. Not quite as "full-on" as the K-3iii (wonderful camera!) but just that little bit better than either the KP or the K-70.
07-04-2021, 04:32 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The fact that they discontinued the KP before a replacement was introduced tells me no direct follow on will come, but I think there will be a similar camera. It seems to me whenever a new Pentax comes out it incorporates the main advancements of the previous new camera, and has a few new advancements, features, and trials. The advancements of the KP are here to stay as evidenced by the K-3III, and the trial of a changeable grip may or may not return. Whether or not that next camera is a K-90, KO, K-4 I can’t see the abandoning the position of an upper midrange. Contrary to some people’s opinions, the K-70 is a midrange camera, there hasn’t been an intro level Pentax since the K-r. I could see the midrange level just continue to step up, and the K-70 replacement be closer to the KP in build quality, performance, etc.
07-04-2021, 04:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I am also in love with my KP and still under the shock that Ricoh discontinued it instead of the K-70. That said, I agree with another poster, putting the KP into a K-70 body (for its form factor) would probably be even better.

07-04-2021, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do hope there will "some kind of" follow up to KP., cause it fills a gap in the Pentax DSLR line up. A truly compact and high performance APS-C - with advantages from both the DSLR and mirrorless world. Incredible IQ, and no aperture block issues. It would be sad if Ricoh, instead of refining the concept, just let it fade out. A follow up could turn out to be a truly remarkable little camera.
07-04-2021, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my KP too. Discontinuing it turned it into an instant classic. I think it was a concept camera, testing the flip screen and interchangeable grips as well as advancements in camera tech prior to the K3iii. The latter was possibly the reason it was hastily discontinued. It had done its job and risked impacting on K3iii sales because it is just so good. I think there will be a K70 upgrade but I can't see a KPii ..... But then, if advancements need field testing .....
07-04-2021, 05:04 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there will be a replacement for the KP, something priced well below the flagship models but likely positioned above the entry-level line (which may eventually go away altogether).

However, I'd speculate that the next model to be released with be a full frame, perhaps a replacement for the K-1, which could really benefit from some of the K-3 III's tech.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2021, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The fact that they discontinued the KP before a replacement was introduced tells me no direct follow on will come, but I think there will be a similar camera.
The K-3ii was discontinued a fair bit before the K-3iii came out, so not necessarily the case.

I agree that they will sorta merge the K-70 and KP into a single "non flagship" (rather than entry level, as the K-70 would already be a mid/mid-high range camera in any other manufacturer's lineup). Where exactly that camera will end is anyone's guess...
07-04-2021, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think there will be a replacement for the KP....
Coming from you - my hope took a big leap from discouraged to positively established.

---------- Post added 07-04-21 at 06:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The K-3ii was discontinued a fair bit before the K-3iii came out, so not necessarily the case.
Well pointed!

And if I'm not incorrect (?), after discontinued, and the price raise the sales are STILL good. That is a good signal for Ricoh. I don't feel that KP is underappreciated, at least among actual owners, it just took a while for some of us to come to terms with the concept, and finally plunge into it.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 07-04-2021 at 06:06 AM.
07-04-2021, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of he design effort seems to be going into providing a meaningful alternative to mirrorless, and a small form factor is an important part of that market (at the hobbyist end) as well as more classic designs that Fuji (and Olympus?) are doing well with and Nikon are returning to - so I think they SHOULD - but I don't know that they will - they might just prefer to go down the entry level K-70 successor route.
07-04-2021, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
So - what do you Pentaxians think; will Ricoh bless us with a successor to Pentax KP ?

Is there any kind of hints or rumours of any kind known at this present?

After falling completely in love with my KP, which I consider the best Pentax walkaround APS-C to date (yes I do),
I sincerely hope Ricoh will make it happen.

((And buying a second original Pentax KP now, when the prices skyrocket, is a bit out of reach for some of us I suspect.))
I wish for a KP mark 2 but knowing Pentax, it won't happen.
It is my favorite APS-C body and that's why I bought a second one when Pentax dropped its price. 😁
07-04-2021, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I wish for a KP mark 2 but knowing Pentax, it won't happen.
It is my favorite APS-C body and that's why I bought a second one when Pentax dropped its price. ��
You just red my mind - that's my dilemma: Hope and wait for a Pentax KP II? Or grab a second one of the discontinued before they run out of stock?
07-04-2021, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
You just red my mind - that's my dilemma: Hope and wait for a Pentax KP II? Or grab a second one of the discontinued before they run out of stock?
Get a second one. I'm pretty sure the KP line will have the same end as the K-01.
07-04-2021, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Get a second one. I'm pretty sure the KP line will have the same end as the K-01.
I need a black one to go with my silver beauty
07-04-2021, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I need a black one to go with my silver beauty
That's what I did. 😁