Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2021, 06:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

KP right hand grip(s) too small. What can you do?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

For me, KP:s right hand grip (even the “biggest” option) is too small to have a safe grip when carrying camera with my right hand.

Most other Pentax DSLR models have deeper right hand grips. I have P-30 that has quite deep/safe grip.

KP Custom had some bigger “luxury” grip options (wooden), but apparently Pentax decided not to sell them separately.

There seems to be no third party offerings of KP hand grips, which seems surprising. Lawsuit expectations maybe?

One possibility is 3-d printing, if you can find or can make yourself a model.

Any experiences among other KP-owners on this topic?

Last edited by drawbar; 08-17-2021 at 06:47 AM.
08-17-2021, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you get the battery grip it will add some length and give you a little more grip area. It matches up to the large grip.

There was a thread about 3d printing a grip a while back. You can do a search for it. I would think someone whose is good with 3d printing could sell quite a few printed grips here on the forums.

When I first got my KP, it felt too small coming from a K5IIs. I adjusted how I carried it and now that I am used to it I have no issues and now the K5IIs feels too "fat". I use a use a optech wrist stap and let most of the weight hang on my fingers when walking around with the camera.
08-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is also KP J Limited option

MINT!! PENTAX KP J Limited BODY BLACK and GOLD | eBay

magnificent but hard to find
08-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote
KP Custom had some bigger “luxury” grip options (wooden), but apparently Pentax decided not to sell them separately.
I don't think this was a RIoch/Pentax decision but rather J Limited's from their aterial on the customizations. Each of the grips they produced are hand crafted beginning with the selection of wood by a company that normally makes custom wooden steering wheels. I doubt that neither J Limited or Ricoh has the resources to keep the grips in production or to build a stockpile of grips that might take years to sell. On top of that the KP is out of production. Also the concept behind the J Limited KP was customization, not accessories.

As far as third party grips go the return of investment on a line of grips would probably so low it wouldn't be worth the R&D time to even begin manufacturing. Unless Ricoh has patented the mounting system I don't really see any legal hurdles, just economic ones.

3D printing is your best bet. You just have to motivated someone to sculpt a model for you.

You could always build up an existing grip with some modeling putty like Milliput. The results would depend on your patience and skill at sculpting.

08-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
there is also KP J Limited option
Does anyone on PF actually have one of these?
08-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't think this was a RIoch/Pentax decision but rather J Limited's from their aterial on the customizations. Each of the grips they produced are hand crafted beginning with the selection of wood by a company that normally makes custom wooden steering wheels. I doubt that neither J Limited or Ricoh has the resources to keep the grips in production or to build a stockpile of grips that might take years to sell. On top of that the KP is out of production. Also the concept behind the J Limited KP was customization, not accessories.

As far as third party grips go the return of investment on a line of grips would probably so low it wouldn't be worth the R&D time to even begin manufacturing. Unless Ricoh has patented the mounting system I don't really see any legal hurdles, just economic ones.

3D printing is your best bet. You just have to motivated someone to sculpt a model for you.

You could always build up an existing grip with some modeling putty like Milliput. The results would depend on your patience and skill at sculpting.

A close look at the Pentax KP Custom - CP+ 2019 | PentaxForums.com

Ricoh: Selling a variety of custom design grips for current KP owners is under consideration.

Apparently not anymore though?
08-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

For me, KP:s right hand grip (even the “biggest” option) is too small to have a safe grip when carrying camera with my right hand.

One of the design parameters for the KP seems to have been to make a full-featured APSC DSLR as small as possible … even the large grip was an option in many areas!
I'll admit to having struggled before adapting to the KP (from a K-70, having struggled to adapt to that from K-5) and, for what I wanted, the effort was worth it … but moving on to a K-3iii really was a revelation
As my KP came with the three different size grips in the box I did toy with the option of building one up, rather than starting from scratch, but I never did get around to it, so can only offer that concept as a suggestion.
As someone else has suggested, a wrist strap might be a sensible idea if you don't like a neck-strap … I use both, as required, (not at the same time!), not dropped a camera yet

08-17-2021, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
When I first got my KP, it felt too small coming from a K5IIs. I adjusted how I carried it and now that I am used to it I have no issues and now the K5IIs feels too "fat". I use a use a optech wrist stap and let most of the weight hang on my fingers when walking around with the camera.
Completely agree with this. There is an adjustment period and you have to learn to handle the camera a little differently.

Then after a while you can switch between cameras at will without it feeling awkward.
08-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I consider small grip of KP as advantage. I carry the camera in my left hand using dedicated handle. Right hand I use to operate camera and lens.
Pentax KP Handle - PentaxForums.com
08-17-2021, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used what many would call a "flash holder grip" for years on my old manual slr cameras. They were a necessity for flash use- as all early slrs did not have a flash shoe-hot or cold.
Still works today , and they are frequently/usually oriented for left hand hold and right hand operation of controls.

They work just as well for a good camera grip even without the need for attaching a flash unit.

Some had a fully contoured left or right hand grip, and may have included a remote release. They are still available from $10 and up.

Some fancy ones are still made and have articulated arms.

For the KP, one could always "carve" a wooden grip similar to that of the limited model above, or just larger/different than the plastic grip. Attaching to the camera
with the existing screw should not be difficult.
08-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
With my KP came three grip models. Suggestion for possible "next KP" or similar models: make them stackable and more people will be happy. ;-)
08-17-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #12

Most other Pentax DSLR models have deeper right hand grips. I have P-30 that has quite deep/safe grip.

There seems to be no third party offerings of KP hand grips, which seems surprising. Lawsuit expectations maybe?

One possibility is 3-d printing, if you can find or can make yourself a model.

I also would suggest the battery grip - I find it significantly improves the handling of the KP. I actually enjoy using the KP with its battery grip, unlike my K-3 with its battery grip. That said, I really don't mind the KP without the battery grip when using either the medium or large grip, nor did I have any trouble adjusting to it. Perhaps because I was very used to using a Nikon FM & FE, which don't have any sort of grip, for over 20 years. Hopefully you will get used to it in time.
08-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
I also would suggest the battery grip - I find it significantly improves the handling of the KP. I actually enjoy using the KP with its battery grip, unlike my K-3 with its battery grip. That said, I really don't mind the KP without the battery grip when using either the medium or large grip, nor did I have any trouble adjusting to it. Perhaps because I was very used to using a Nikon FM & FE, which don't have any sort of grip, for over 20 years. Hopefully you will get used to it in time.
I am already used to my KP, which is a great DSLR on the whole, and which I've used many years. Still, my old K-30 is steadier/safer to carry in one hand, that is an ergonomic fact.

Wasn't KP partly designed to resemble some older Pentax designs in film era? I have used old film cameras enough too, starting with the good old Ricoh XR-1. Kinoformat cameras were usually flatter then than now.
08-17-2021, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

How did people cope with no grip, e.g. Pentax K1000 (only about 80g less than KP)?

I've got accustomed to the grips but my 'safety' solution for my Pentax KP is my home made wrist strap - a loop of 2cm wide black nylon webbing and a small key ring. My hand-sewing skills aren't good (not obvious with black cotton!) but it is very secure.

Philip
08-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got used to the grip pretty quickly. One of the Pentax videos they were talking about designs and talked about their research on the middle finger being the key, I picked up my KP and realized yea, they were right.