Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2021, 09:27 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
The Birds and the ...KP

Doing some bird shots today.

Its great when they fly right over you - strains the neck a bit

Somewhat easier when theyre to one side or the other.

Either way its a challenge - but Im pretty happy with the shots - wish the lens had faster focusing still worked pretty well considering

these guys are flying pretty fast and theyre a bit of a distance from you and birds generally fly away from people.

Last edited by mymaiseygirl; 09-10-2021 at 12:10 AM.
08-29-2021, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like to stop the aperture down to F/8-F/11 for a greater depth of field. The light can be tricky depending on the angle of the sun for sure.
08-30-2021, 12:46 AM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mymaiseygirl Quote
Either way its a challenge - but Im pretty happy with the shots - wish the lens had faster focusing still worked pretty well considering
This is with one of the DA 55-300 f4-5.8 models? Yes it doesn't touch the 55-300 PLM for focus speed.

Good get Mark (esp the first one). Settings? With a bird against the sky I use a preset with AF-C and auto 27 points. It's the only situation in which I use auto AF point selection.
08-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. It helps to have good light.

08-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please identify the lens you were using. The EXIF data only indicates the focal length and aperture for these shots.
08-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not the 55-300mm PLM lens, it's at 300mm f/6.3
08-30-2021, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
It's not the 55-300mm PLM lens, it's at 300mm f/6.3
Pentax DA 55 - 300 mm Telephoto

---------- Post added 08-30-21 at 02:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
Please identify the lens you were using. The EXIF data only indicates the focal length and aperture for these shots.
Sorry Pentax DA 55 - 300 mm Telephoto

---------- Post added 08-30-21 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I agree - with the birds well all I can say is the iight is coming from above. After that its depending on which way the bird happens to be facing. Nothing like posing ur favorite Model!

---------- Post added 08-30-21 at 02:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I did use Adobe photoshop quite a lot to lighten up the feathers

---------- Post added 08-30-21 at 02:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
This is with one of the DA 55-300 f4-5.8 models? Yes it doesn't touch the 55-300 PLM for focus speed.

Good get Mark (esp the first one). Settings? With a bird against the sky I use a preset with AF-C and auto 27 points. It's the only situation in which I use auto AF point selection.
Yes thanks for the compliment. Im thinking about buying the PLM for the speed. The DA takes a great picture but its now meant for moving targets, birds or otherwise.

But it does have this nice feature where once ur in focus, the focus follows the subject otherwise I wouldnt have got this picture.

---------- Post added 08-30-21 at 02:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I like to stop the aperture down to F/8-F/11 for a greater depth of field. The light can be tricky depending on the angle of the sun for sure.
Im gonna remember that. Thanks for that suggestion.

08-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes thanks for the compliment. Im thinking about buying the PLM for the speed. The DA takes a great picture but its now meant for moving targets, birds or otherwise.
The PLM is a step up in design. More elements, more groups. You'll likely be impressed.
12-01-2021, 04:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

Hi All, I can't see the posted images in this thread for some reason,(they don't appear in the posts),can anyone help?
(Sorry if it is a silly question on my poart, I'm a newcomer to the forum).
12-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No images here either.
12-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stephen_G Quote
Hi All, I can't see the posted images in this thread for some reason,(they don't appear in the posts),can anyone help?
I'm not seeing them now either. This can happen for various reasons, but usually it's because the images have been removed or replaced on the hosting site (most often Flickr).

You see it a lot in the photo sharing threads - frustrating when you see posts with lots of likes and contemporaneous posts saying that it's a remarkable image!
12-01-2021, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #12

Original Poster
Des, thanks for looking.

Yes this was an older post and the way this site is set up, there is a limit on posts in terms of size (mb) unless youve made some kind of donation.

So I removed some posts to make room for others. This one was an older post from August this year. I usually post once every ten days or so.

Im trying to remember which bird shots I had on here. I think it may have been the Raven. Ill try posting it again with some others. Thanks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by mymaiseygirl; 05-19-2022 at 10:39 AM.
12-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes this was an older post and the way this site is set up, there is a limit on posts in terms of size (mb) unless youve made some kind of donation.So I removed some posts to make room for others. This one was an older post from August this year. I usually post once every ten days or so.
A pity to have to delete images to make room for others. You could support PF and take advantage of one of the Black Friday special supporter offers: Holiday Special: Forum Account Upgrade & Perks - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com Or get a free Flickr account - that allows up to 1000 photos.