Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! I doubt I would be able to find one that has zero clicks! Nope I'm keeping it.

---------- Post added 09-28-21 at 06:11 ----------

I will keep that in mind. Thank You.
I also have a KS2 that has one click that I'm also saving for future use. Sometime in the next year or so everything I own will be in storage.
I will be selling the condo I currently live in and will be traveling out of the United States. Will be spending an entire year+/- in Madagascar , and up to 6 moths in Portugal.
Then I'm entertaining the idea of a World cruise for 7 months after that at some point , possibly even before , depending on covid.
I'm just concerned about my " Click Babies" (cameras) while I'm gone.
What photographic gear are you taking with you?

---------- Post added 09-28-21 at 09:25 AM ----------

Since cameras in the box sit without issue for long periods of time, I wonder if factory resetting it so that the clock isn’t set will remove the drain on the battery?

09-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just concerned about my " Click Babies" (cameras) while I'm gone.
It's not as though you are going to a harsh environment with high risk to the camera, or yourself. Take the KP with you and enjoy!
09-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
They are jealous because you have got that wonderful sadly discontinued KP!
And might I add.....with Zero clicks.
And.....a KS-2..... with 1 click.
I love both these models ALOT. They are backups for my daily users down the road when needed..

---------- Post added 09-28-21 at 06:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
It's not as though you are going to a harsh environment with high risk to the camera, or yourself. Take the KP with you and enjoy!
I'm taking my daily users...a beater KP , my well used KS2 as a backup , and a small Olympus EM10ii with single lens.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 09-28-2021 at 06:32 AM.
09-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Surely you can find a local Phoenician to give them loving care and an occasional wake-up shot. If not, bring them "up the hill" to Flagstaff, and I can baby sit.

If you do, I'd love to run them through my usual battery of camera tests: shutter speed accuracy and sensor linearity (might use up ~100 shots per camera).

09-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The issue with keeping a charged battery in a camera is not risky to the camera (today's Lithium batteries are almost totally leak-proof), but to the battery. One thing lithium batteries don't like is to be completely discharged. If they are, they are difficult or impossible to recover, and a camera places a load (though quite small when off) on the battery all the time. Normal use overcomes this issue because the battery is charged periodically and never reaches that unrecoverable condition. Some devices have protection circuits which cut all discharge off when the battery voltage gets to a certain low point, but battery self-discharge will eventually do the same thing, so a lithium battery needs some maintenance if it is to be stored long-term (even out of the camera).

Many modern cameras assume a good battery will be in them to maintain the clock battery system which is a secondary issue in long-term camera storage. The final solution is to periodically check the camera battery (charging if needed), and store the camera with it inserted.

Aside from these issues, storing the camera/battery combo in a cool (not freezing) and dry location will help preserve things.

Last edited by Bob 256; 09-28-2021 at 08:03 AM.
09-28-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

And might I add.....with Zero clicks.
And.....a KS-2..... with 1 click.
I love both these models ALOT. They are backups for my daily users down the road when needed..

---------- Post added 09-28-21 at 06:39 ----------

I'm taking my daily users...a beater KP , my well used KS2 as a backup , and a small Olympus EM10ii with single lens.
You know, that new K-S2 might have a dead solenoid from lack of use when you get back, are you sure you don't want someone to exercise that aperture assembly for you?

Well I don't know what to tell you... since you don't want to sell them, you might have to take your chances that they'll be working and the internal battery will be ok when you get back. For the internal battery I don't really think it'll be an issue but I've never done anything like that, leaving a camera completely unused for a couple of years. But as I said before - I'm sure that's happened, because when you hear that someone bought a NOS old camera, what other explanation is there?
09-28-2021, 12:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You know, that new K-S2 might have a dead solenoid from lack of use when you get back, are you sure you don't want someone to exercise that aperture assembly for you?
My unused KS2 was made in 2017. From what Ive read it has the green updated solenoid , not the original green one that plagued us with ABF.
My beater 2015 made KS2 just got a white solenoid and works great.

09-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggested earlier that the units be factory reset has anyone tried that? If the clock isn’t set does it actually drain the battery?
09-29-2021, 02:00 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I suggested earlier that the units be factory reset has anyone tried that? If the clock isn’t set does it actually drain the battery?
Neither camera has been set up at all. Clock and date has not been set.
I'm thinking that maybe I'm overly concerned and over thinking this whole thing.
Mainly was concerned when I heard about the internal battery going dead , but if it's only a clock issue I'm unconcerned.
Just trying to be cautious.
09-29-2021, 06:28 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neither camera has been set up at all. Clock and date has not been set.
I'm thinking that maybe I'm overly concerned and over thinking this whole thing.
Mainly was concerned when I heard about the internal battery going dead , but if it's only a clock issue I'm unconcerned.
Just trying to be cautious.
The clock drains the internal battery. I have to think it doesn’t when in the box new. Your li-ion batteries should be charged to 40-60% for long term storage.
09-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The clock drains the internal battery. I have to think it doesn’t when in the box new. Your li-ion batteries should be charged to 40-60% for long term storage.
Unless I hear differently....this is exactly what I will do. Thanks !
09-29-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless I hear differently....this is exactly what I will do. Thanks !
Good luck on keeping these babies happy. I think more research that I did suggests 30-50% more often than 40-60%.

Here is an article:
Will the lithium battery be damaged if left unused for a long time? - Benzo Energy / China best polymer Lithium-ion battery manufacturer,lithium ion battery,lipo battery pack,LiFePO4 battery pack, 18650 batteries, Rc battery pack
09-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How does one determine that a Li battery is at 30 to 60% charge?
09-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
How does one determine that a Li battery is at 30 to 60% charge?
Very carefully? LOL... I honestly don't have a good answer. One assumes you charge it, and drain it a calculated amount? Or charge it from flat a calculated amount?
09-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What photographic gear are you taking with you?
Beater KP with 16-85 and 55-300 PLM , Beater KS2 with SMC 18-50 RE WR , Olympus OMD EM 10ii with a few tiny lenses .
If it comes down to leaving something behind it will be the KS2 and lens. (Contemplating this already)
I have a very extensive Olympus M43 system that is quite capable by itself. I'm actually tempted to leave everything else behind and just take it.......so small and compact.
Lots of time to plan and contemplate.
Tripod choices are AOKA CF 28" , and a Benro slim CF I just got that seems nearly perfect.
If I only take one it will definitely be the Benro Slim CF.
Will be travelling ALOT on a Yamaha TW 200 motorcycle that I will be shipping over as soon as plans are concrete.