Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Double numbers?

Today I had a concert to shoot some shots. In between to sessions I switched from SD-card.

Now, copying them on my MacBook, some shots one SD appear to have the same number as shots on the other card. Where did I go wrong?

There's an overlap of 21 images.

Last edited by NickLapin; 10-31-2021 at 03:28 PM.
10-31-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the numbers increment based on the highest one on the card. If you happened to have two cards with close numbering that would be possible. This assumes only the numbers and not the content overlaps.
10-31-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It happens to me from time to time and I have so far not figured out why. As part of my fixed routine, I always check for duplicate filenames before adding all photos into a single folder. It's an annoying fluke in my book.
11-01-2021, 12:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLapin Quote
Double numbers?
Firmware bug?

11-01-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's definitely due to having images on the card when the card is loaded.
The camera takes it's cue from the card and counts up from there, if there are images on the card.
Only if the card is blank will the camera continue to count from it's previous exposure number.
The only practical solution is to either always insert a blank card or to only use the same card.
If moving one card between cameras, having unique file-name prefixes for each camera may help, but I've not actually tried this.
Purely for ease of management "down the line" I have each of my cameras generate a unique prefix, if the option is available.
This "feature" may well be a concept incorporated in an underlying specification rather than a specific Pentax "bug". I have a Samsung NX which exhibits the same symptoms, as did an old Fujifilm FinePix.

Last edited by kypfer; 11-01-2021 at 12:36 AM. Reason: afterthought
11-01-2021, 02:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I did format the second card before using it. Never the less the KP promted 'Couldn't save image on card', just after formatting. A simple off-on exercise worked around that.

Next time I'll make sure all empty cards are formatted in advance.
11-01-2021, 02:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
It's definitely due to having images on the card when the card is loaded.
How would one go about to test this?

I just tried with 4 cards, preconditioned as such:

Card 1: formatted
Card 2: photos, including date folder (renamed to current date), copied to it from PC
Card 3: formatted
Card 4: took some pics with camera

Then took some shots with a single card at a time from 1 to 4 - checked everything and have no overlapping filenames.

FWIW, I shoot lots of weddings and the cards are always formatted.

11-01-2021, 03:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
How would one go about to test this?

I just tried with 4 cards, preconditioned as such:

Card 1: formatted
Card 2: photos, including date folder (renamed to current date), copied to it from PC
Card 3: formatted
Card 4: took some pics with camera

Then took some shots with a single card at a time from 1 to 4 - checked everything and have no overlapping filenames.

FWIW, I shoot lots of weddings and the cards are always formatted.

Sorry … I've only got my experiences to go from.
What camera were you using?
I do know that on more than one occasion I've "upset" one of my camera's numbering sequence by inserting a card with images from another camera.
This would have happened in a "test" environment when I was comparing things and not bothering to use more than one card, for simplicity.
To revert to the original sequence I've simply copied the "last known good" image from my backup to an empty card, in an appropriately named directory, restarted the camera and made an exposure.
I don't usually format the card. I simply move the images, complete with their directories, to my hard disk, leaving an empty DCIM folder on the card.
Yes, I know there's a "risk" that something "might go wrong" and I should copy the files then delete the card later
I probably would if I was in a professional environment and getting paid for my time … I've not had a problem in 20+ years of digital photography (pre-Pentax!)

Afterthought :
Try taking a picture, then renaming the file in the computer to, say, 1000 higher, re-inserting the card into the camera and take another picture … what happens to your numbering sequence when you restart your camera with a blank card?

Last edited by kypfer; 11-01-2021 at 04:04 AM.