Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Stiff On/Off switch

My KP is coming up to 9 months old and I have noticed that the On/Off switch is getting more difficult to operate - very stiff. I am contemplating sending it back to Pentax to be checked but thought I would ask here if anybody else has had the problem?

11-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That might be expected of an old switch which has accumulated some gunk but in your case it shouldn't be happening and I would take advantage of the warranty while it's still in effect (if that's the case). Usually this only gets worse and it is a switch you use quite frequently so you don't want it failing.
11-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
That might be expected of an old switch which has accumulated some gunk but in your case it shouldn't be happening and I would take advantage of the warranty while it's still in effect (if that's the case). Usually this only gets worse and it is a switch you use quite frequently so you don't want it failing.

Yes!

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The notorious Pentax on/off stiffness! It has happened to my K5 and K3. It can be partially ameliorated by running hot tap water over it while toggling the switch repeatedly. Remove the battery first, and mount a WR lens.

However, in your case, I would definitely suggest invoking the warranty.

11-05-2021, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It can be partially ameliorated by running hot tap water over it while toggling the switch repeatedly.
Nope, I would not recommend that. I suspect it would be a poor idea if there's a weather sealing issue.
11-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had that very issue with my K-3 II. Tried a bunch of methods of solving it nothing worked long term except holding it under a thin stream of running water. While doing so i angle the camera so that water only hit's the switch and doesn't run down the camera into any gap, joint or void. It's of course risky business but it works. Just don't open your tap completely and wash all over your camera. Be precise about it and use a fine stream.
11-06-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That happened with my K-7, used distilled water in case any got inside of the body, works to this date.

11-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Since the camera is still under warranty, I say use it! Let them do what is needed to get rid of this problem. I have numerous Pentax DSLR models, some for many years, including two KPs for over three years with no issues so far.
11-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just got the camera back from a warranty repair by John Pye. Completely painless process. On/Off switch smooth and easy now.
11-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great! That's the way it should work out!
11-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJ43 Quote
Just got the camera back from a warranty repair by John Pye. Completely painless process. On/Off switch smooth and easy now.
Quick and painless is always good.

I would like to know though what causes this quite commonly in Pentax cameras. I suspect the hot and steamy jungles of SE Asia were contributing factors with my K5 and K3 as used by my adventurous son. Can others identify likely causes?