Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2021, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't compare it with the K-70, but I do love the KP. When I had to do a month without it and use my K-50, I realized how much I love it, I now have two of them. I'm still learning a lot because there are so many capabilities. Only recently have I set up the third dial for some useful autofocus settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
I noticed that the K-30 was quite cheap on Pentax Australia too, but they are all gone now. Was there any love for the K-30?
There sure was, like the K-30 prices also held up long after production had ended, even though the K-50 was very similar.

12-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can land a KP with all 3 body grips is an excellent suggestion as individually they are, I feel, a bit much for a "bit of plastic". And also if it has the battery grip as these appear to be as rare as rocking horse doings on the second hand market. These are the only gripe with mine but I did land it for a good price so I will just have to deal with it in a grown up manner😊
12-05-2021, 09:03 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Forum Member

I have both cameras. The image quality of both is more or less identical, which I actually appreciate - I can grab either with no anxiety about which is 'better'. Because of ergonomics, the K70 generally has a zoom lens mounted, and the KP a prime. One thing I like about the KP is the shutter - so much smoother and quieter than the K70.
12-05-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP will be more reliable.

12-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #20
JPT
Pentaxian

The KP seems to be quite sought after, so if you see one, make up your mind quickly.

One advantage of using the KP and K-70 as a pair is that they use the same batteries. I have the same situation with my K-01 and my K-5 IIs - two very different cameras, but use the same batteries and lenses.
12-05-2021, 11:54 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some other points to remember - if you do go KP, and want the Battery Grip, the Large size body grip comes with the Battery Grip (in most countries, I believe. I was told "No" by Australian supplier, and ordered both the large body grip and the battery grip, and ended up with two large body grips. Aussie supplier provided a free return and refund without hesitation on the redundant large body grip, so no bad).

Also, the KP really does need the battery grip (with the larger battery inside) as it is very power hungry.

I will probably end up getting the K3iii battery grip - the battery grip on the KP is SOOOO good for Portrait mode, and portrait mode so awkward without it on both KP and K3iii.
12-06-2021, 12:16 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote

I will probably end up getting the K3iii battery grip - the battery grip on the KP is SOOOO good for Portrait mode, and portrait mode so awkward without it on both KP and K3iii.
I've never understood the need for a battery grip. Portrait mode seems very comfortable to me without it.

12-06-2021, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my KPso much. I have all three grips and use all three. I currently have the smallest on for that film camera feel. The grips take some getting use to because they have a slightly unconventional shape, but once you bond, it is exceptional, particularly with the third wheel. Its a small camera, but the addition of a battery grip makes it big and stable for when you need big and stable. I got my grip nearly new for £120 but they are rare as there is no 3rd party options. Bottom line, the KP isn't loved by all, just 98% of us who have one
12-06-2021, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #24
Closed Account

One of the good things on the KP is the third control wheel. This allows you instant control of all three parts of the exposure triangle, iso, shutter, aperture, in an easy to reach form. Bracketing and a host of other functions can be set the same way, so its very customizable without the need to go in to the menus.
12-06-2021, 02:21 AM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
with all the increased activity on the "D FA 21 Lens Give Away" I have had the chance to see a lot of other's results, and have to say my favorites have almost ALL been done with a KP.
I don't know that you can draw much from that Chris, because KP owners overall are probably more advanced users.

But I agree with those recommending the KP. Advantages:
- Most robust construction
- Rated for 100,000 shutter actuations
- Stepper motor for aperture control - no solenoid to fail
- Third wheel, highly customisable
- Quiet shutter (no small thing when shooting wildlife or in a quiet environment)
- 27 AF points (useful for birds in flight, more selectable points)
- Electronic shutter option
- Much better dust removal system (I notice a big difference from my K-S2)
- Faster processer
- P-Line programming
- Slightly faster frame rate
- More sophisticated exposure metering
- Metering to -3EV (compared to 0EV for the K-70)
- Although the flippy screen (K-70, K-S2) is more versatile (e.g. front-facing for selfies, good in portrait orientation), the tilt screen on the KP is probably more durable. Edit: the tilt screen also deploys more quickly and is less conspicuous - pros for street shooting, for example.
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've never understood the need for a battery grip. Portrait mode seems very comfortable to me without it.
I'm with you on this Paul. And the grip is quite pricey (the cost of a nice secondhand lens). If battery life is the issue, it's much lighter and cheaper to carry a couple of spares. (It might be different for those mounting 2kg+ lenses, which might balance better with the grip.)
But stay on the look out for a well-priced used K3iii when they start to appear!
2024?

Last edited by Des; 01-22-2022 at 01:48 PM.
12-06-2021, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
Kypher have you kept both the K70 and KP now that you have a K3iii? What elevates the K3iii to superb over very good indeed?
Yes, I've kept both.
The K-70, 'cos I really like the fully articulated screen, I find it useful for low-level macro work "in the wild" and high angle astro work on a tripod.
The KP can feel less bulky in the hand when fitted with the small grip. It's currently fitted with my 18-50 WR RE but the 40mm DA XS also suits it well.
Both of these cameras retain some of the "artistic" Digital Filters that have been dropped in the K-3iii. I like the "Water Color" effect particularly, on suitable subjects.
The K-3iii … what can I say? Totally customisable with 10 User Modes, extremely competent a/f with moving subjects, backward compatibility with virtually every K-mount lens ever made with auto-exposure, 1,600,000 ISO capability … the list goes on. It may not be endless, but I haven't got there yet
12-06-2021, 03:24 AM   #27

I have both and have not really noticed much difference in the images they produce….but I also have a Kr which also produces good images, viewed on a pc screen which is what I tend to do.

One difference between the K70 and the KP is that taking pictures in live view is far better on the K70….I find the KP live view very ‘clunky’ and tend not to use it.

I also think the KP feels smaller and lighter although, in reality, there is not much difference….for these reasons I use a tripod more often with the K70 (and zoom lenses)
12-06-2021, 05:23 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Morston Quote
One difference between the K70 and the KP is that taking pictures in live view is far better on the K70….I find the KP live view very ‘clunky’ and tend not to use it.
Can you expand on this? I’ve never noticed that but I don’t own a k70 for comparison. Is the live view mode switch the issue? That took getting used to after coming from the k-3.

---------- Post added 12-06-21 at 07:30 AM ----------

Agreed. I started with film and learned how to shoot using my arms tight to my body in both landscape and portrait mode and the body mechanics are still burned in my brain. I own grips for a free cameras including the k-3 and I never use them.

With the KP the grip would allow me to use my extensive collection of larger batteries from my k-3 but that’s the only real benefit I see, at the cost of bulk and weight. However it does give options that I don’t have otherwise so I have tried with the idea of adding a grip. (But then I look at the three I’ve had on my Olympus EM-1, Sony A7rII, and Pentax K-3 which have been used about once each, and I think, “Am I a slow learner, clearly I’m not a grip guy… .”)

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-06-2021 at 05:30 AM.
12-06-2021, 05:52 AM   #29

On the K70 I can compose and focus in live view and press the shutter button and it takes a picture instantly.

On the KP I find there is a ‘lag’ before the shutter operates and can not get it to take a decent picture hand held…..unless I am doing something wrong??
12-06-2021, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Also, the KP really does need the battery grip (with the larger battery inside) as it is very power hungry.
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I'm with you on this Paul. And the grip is quite pricey (the cost of a nice secondhand lens). If battery life is the issue, it's much lighter and cheaper to carry a couple of spares. (It might be different for those mounting 2kg+ lenses, which might balance better with the grip.)

I figured I wouldn't ever need the battery grip, but I got my KP for a decently good price, grip included. It's no big advantage for battery life, especially seeing that putting a couple spares in your pocket is much lighter. And shooting in portrait mode is fine without it too (having learned on cameras without a grip). But I put it on with the large grip for trying the 150-450, and found it just much more comfortable - otherwise my pinky is hanging out in space. Using it like, now the large grip feels odd without the battery grip, so I only alternate between smallest grip and full on battery grip at the moment. If I didn't get the battery grip with my KP, I'm not sure if I would have bought it separate. In my opinion, I don't think it's worthwhile until you're shooting lenses such as the 150-450. Another advantage is bringing the centre of mass backwards when balancing big lenses on a gimbal.