Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2021, 06:16 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Morston Quote
On the K70 I can compose and focus in live view and press the shutter and it takes a picture instantly.

On the KP I find there is a ‘lag’ before the shutter operates and can not get it to take a decent picture hand held…..unless I am doing something wrong??
I haven’t noticed that. But clearly it’s true as this performance metric shows the lag: Pentax KP Review - Performance

However this review suggests the lag is virtually the same on the k70: Pentax K-70 Review - Performance

12-06-2021, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To answer the basic question of the OP. Even as I do not own a KP, so someone might correct me.

All that has been said about the technical differences between the KP and the K-70 is absolutely true.
But there is no main difference in IQ between both of these cameras. As far as I know, even the jpeg engine works very similiar.
So, if the most impressive pictures are from KP owners, it is the owners who perform better, not the camera.

I own a K-1 beside my K-70 and from just looking at a picture I can not tell you which camera I used, if I do not remember that. Instead for good or bad, all the pictures look if they are made by me.

The camera is a tool that you use for taking the pictures, that you create between in your mind.
You might take better pictures with a KP, then with a K-70. But then, because it is the more handy tool.
I like my K-1 very much it is a joy to work with it, but I own it since this August only. I create better pictures with my K-70, because I know it much better then the K-1. A couple of thousand pictures with the K-70, only some hundreds with the K-1 are a huge difference.

If you would like a KP, buy it. Both cameras are very capable and the KP has some obvious advantages over the K-70.
But if you buy it with the intention to get better pictures, I would suggest to invest into lenses (which make an astonishing difference) and as much time as possible using your K-70 instead.
12-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I haven’t noticed that. But clearly it’s true as this performance metric shows the lag: Pentax KP Review - Performance

However this review suggests the lag is virtually the same on the k70: Pentax K-70 Review - Performance
That is interesting….but I can only speak from my own experience.

I must persevere and make sure I am not making some basic error
12-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Morston Quote
On the K70 I can compose and focus in live view and press the shutter button and it takes a picture instantly.
On the KP I find there is a ‘lag’ before the shutter operates and can not get it to take a decent picture hand held…..unless I am doing something wrong??
Seems to be a "feature" of the KP!
It happens when the camera has been allowed to power down, to wake it up and have it immediately ready for action, you need to "double-half-press" the shutter button!
A pain in the aperture initially, once I'd defined what exactly was happening I had a choice of preventing the camera from powering down (Menu 'spanner'3) and risk having the battery go flat, or get used to it.
After losing a couple of shots due to flat battery I got used to the double-press … no big deal with a bit of practice!
One proviso … I work almost exclusively with the optical viewfinder, you'll need to check if it behaves the same in LiveView.
Good luck

12-06-2021, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #35
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
The camera is a tool that you use for taking the pictures, that you create between in your mind.
You might take better pictures with a KP, then with a K-70. But then, because it is the more handy tool.
I like my K-1 very much it is a joy to work with it, but I own it since this August only. I create better pictures with my K-70, because I know it much better then the K-1. A couple of thousand pictures with the K-70, only some hundreds with the K-1 are a huge difference.

If you would like a KP, buy it. Both cameras are very capable and the KP has some obvious advantages over the K-70.
But if you buy it with the intention to get better pictures, I would suggest to invest into lenses (which make an astonishing difference) and as much time as possible using your K-70 instead.
This is great feedback and glad to hear it from someone who owns and likes their K70. I do enjoy using mine and know I still have plenty of room to grow with this camera. As you point out, there are plenty of ways to spend money, where will I find the greatest value. That said, what are your favorite lenses with the K70?

---------- Post added 12-06-21 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Yes, I've kept both.
The K-70, 'cos I really like the fully articulated screen, I find it useful for low-level macro work "in the wild" and high angle astro work on a tripod.
The KP can feel less bulky in the hand when fitted with the small grip. It's currently fitted with my 18-50 WR RE but the 40mm DA XS also suits it well.
Both of these cameras retain some of the "artistic" Digital Filters that have been dropped in the K-3iii. I like the "Water Color" effect particularly, on suitable subjects.
The K-3iii … what can I say? Totally customisable with 10 User Modes, extremely competent a/f with moving subjects, backward compatibility with virtually every K-mount lens ever made with auto-exposure, 1,600,000 ISO capability … the list goes on. It may not be endless, but I haven't got there yet
Thanks Kyfer - I think you answered an unasked question as well: Whether or not to plan on a new K3iii in a year or two or a used KP in the near term. I can see from your post that I have plenty of runway to work with before taking off with a K3iii. If I do see a used KP for a good price I will jump on it. In the meantime my K70 and I will keep on clicking away, of course any advice on lens pairings with the K70/KP would be appreciated...but maybe that's a separate thread.

---------- Post added 12-06-21 at 01:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
But I agree with those recommending the KP. Advantages:
- Most robust construction
- Rated for 100,000 shutter actuations
- Stepper motor for aperture control - no solenoid to fail
- Third wheel, highly customisable
- Quiet shutter (no small thing when shooting wildlife or in a quiet environment)
- 27 AF points (useful for birds in flight, more selectable points)
- Electronic shutter option
- Much better dust removal system (I notice a big difference from my K-S2)
- Faster processer
- P-Line programming
- Slightly faster frame rate
- More sophisticated exposure metering
- Metering to -3EV (compared to 0EV for the K-70)
- Although the flippy screen (K-70, K-S2) is more versatile, the tilt screen on the KP is probably more durable
Des - thank you for the summary. The "Quiet shutter" and "27 AF points" are the items most important to me now. There are several parks nearby where migrating birds are starting to gather and scope out places for the nesting season. The K70 shutter is loud enough to get their attention and some just take off, while nearby photographers with great big lenses just sigh...or are those silent epithets? Well that last bit could be my imagination, but I suspect not far from the truth.
12-06-2021, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #36
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
lens pairings with the K70/KP would be appreciated...but maybe that's a separate thread.
There are a few threads on this, Chris, which might be worth reading before starting another. But if you want to pose the question and get informed answers (rather than just a reflection of people's own likes), you need to describe what you have, what you like and dislike about those lenses, what your photographic preferences are, and what you are looking to achieve with a new lens.

I gather from your posts and profile that you have a DA 18-135, DA 20-40 Ltd, DA 55-300 PLM and DA 50 f1.8. That's an extremely versatile and capable kit that covers a wide focal range. If you were going to add to it, it would probably be a specialty lens, such as an ultra wide angle lens or a long telephoto lens or a macro or an astro lens or a fisheye, depending on your preferences. But unless you already have a particular craving for one of these, since you haven't had this kit very long I'd suggest spending some time really getting to know what you have. That will give you a better idea of how you would like to shape your kit in future. Many people find the challenges such as "Single in ...[month]" a good discipline in doing this.

The other thing is software. If you are still getting to know Lightroom, there's a long but rewarding learning curve there.
12-06-2021, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #37
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again - I do appreciate the advice - re: lens preferences and not getting too far ahead of myself. It's a good deal of work, but fun at the same time. I will check out the "Single in" monthly challenge.

12-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Some other points to remember - if you do go KP, and want the Battery Grip, the Large size body grip comes with the Battery Grip (in most countries, I believe. I was told "No" by Australian supplier, and ordered both the large body grip and the battery grip, and ended up with two large body grips. Aussie supplier provided a free return and refund without hesitation on the redundant large body grip, so no bad).

Also, the KP really does need the battery grip (with the larger battery inside) as it is very power hungry.

I will probably end up getting the K3iii battery grip - the battery grip on the KP is SOOOO good for Portrait mode, and portrait mode so awkward without it on both KP and K3iii.
I only use my battery grip when below 0C or so. At warmer temps I'm not in the habit of taking more than a several score shots on any one outing (100 would be a huge day for me), so it's not a problem (plus I have extra pentax batteries anyway). Below -2 or -3C, battery life falls off a cliff and even a single score of shots gets problematic. The battery grip--with the large battery, not the small one which also fits--powers much better in this situation.
12-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you expand on this? I’ve never noticed that but I don’t own a k70 for comparison. Is the live view mode switch the issue? That took getting used to after coming from the k-3.

---------- Post added 12-06-21 at 07:30 AM ----------

Agreed. I started with film and learned how to shoot using my arms tight to my body in both landscape and portrait mode and the body mechanics are still burned in my brain. I own grips for a free cameras including the k-3 and I never use them.

With the KP the grip would allow me to use my extensive collection of larger batteries from my k-3 but that’s the only real benefit I see, at the cost of bulk and weight. However it does give options that I don’t have otherwise so I have tried with the idea of adding a grip. (But then I look at the three I’ve had on my Olympus EM-1, Sony A7rII, and Pentax K-3 which have been used about once each, and I think, “Am I a slow learner, clearly I’m not a grip guy… .”)
Agreed, but...

I have the battery grips for my K-3 & my KP. I very rarely use the K-3 grip (don't really care for the bulk & how the K-3 handles with it), but the KP integrates & handles better with its grip - I really don't mind using it & kind of like using it.
12-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
Agreed, but...

I have the battery grips for my K-3 & my KP. I very rarely use the K-3 grip (don't really care for the bulk & how the K-3 handles with it), but the KP integrates & handles better with its grip - I really don't mind using it & kind of like using it.
That’s helpful info.
12-06-2021, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
I have a K70 and I have been happy with my results so far, I can definitely see myself being happy with the kit I have for awhile. That said, with all the increased activity on the "D FA 21 Lens Give Away" I have had the chance to see a lot of other's results, and have to say my favorites have almost ALL been done with a KP. I imagine more experienced Pentaxians wouldn't bat an eye at having a second body to work with, so probably this is a pretty good place to ask. I amwondering if the KP and K70 would be a good pair to work with - the reviews were very closely matched, but the auto focus system on the KP seems head and shoulders above, wondering what KP users experiences have been.
There is essentially ZERO difference in the images you get from your K-70 and what a KP would give you, and I speak from experience. The differences between the two cameras have to do with controls/features and especially ergonomics. One won't deliver better photos than the other.

Better lenses and practice will make much more impact. Glass trumps camera. Experience trumps glass.
12-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've never understood the need for a battery grip. Portrait mode seems very comfortable to me without it.
Same here. I had a grip for the K5 and rarely used it. IMO it just made the camera bulkier without improving ergonomics. Carrying an extra battery is so simple.
12-07-2021, 01:38 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

2024?
Earlier I think. There will be a steady trickle of Pentax users leaving the brand for the promised land of Mirrorless, so used K3 iii's will appear from time to time. I believe there have been some sold on the forum already.
12-07-2021, 05:27 AM   #44
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Better lenses and practice will make much more impact. Glass trumps camera. Experience trumps glass.
I like that - easy framework to remember!
12-07-2021, 06:38 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
... Glass trumps camera. Experience trumps glass.
Nice maxim.