Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Same here. I had a grip for the K5 and rarely used it. IMO it just made the camera bulkier without improving ergonomics. Carrying an extra battery is so simple.
Same here … just hanging onto the grip in case D-Li90 batteries become unavailable and I need to revert to AA's

12-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Same here … just hanging onto the grip in case D-Li90 batteries become unavailable and I need to revert to AA's
That’s one reason I kept the k-3 grip. Probably a non issue as rebuilding dead li-ion batteries is possible with cells. Sadly the KP doesn’t have AA OPTIONS.
12-07-2021, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
They agreed, saying they would have preferred for the KP to remain current. Their understanding was that Ricoh wanted to create as much clear air for the K3iii as possible, as the KP and K3iii were too similar.
As it turned out, this was clearly a mistaken assessment. The KP and the K-3 III are very dissimilar in design and function. Perhaps more alike in performance, in that the KP does approach that of the K-1 II, as the K-3 III does also- yet more. The KP is good for burst shooting, but with a rather small buffer, while the K-3 III is far better than any previous Pentax. The modular concept of the KP is unique, but not for everyone's taste, for whom the K-3 III would be the logical step forward. The concept of the KP is for a compact, slim model of pro build quality, that is great for lighter carrying and competes quite well with high-end APS-C mirrorless offerings, but with its modular capability can be converted to a bulkier handful, while the K-3 III weighs a quarter pound more and bulkier on its own, which is more suitable for those preferring this style of camera. The KP has a built-in flash, which some find useless while others find useful. The KP would fit very well slotted-in as the mid-priced high-quality compact option, between the entry-level but capable K-70 and the top-level low-light and fast action K-3 III.

I have the K20D and K-5 IIs for the more full-size models, and the K-S2 for the flippy-screen lightweight model for casual carrying. This model is of similar design to the K-70, but is yet smaller and lighter, and it is capable of fine results. I use it for certain events with the small DA 18-50mm, which will actually fit into a large jacket pocket! I also use it for other purposes where the flippy screen will serve best. So the K-70 as a secondary body for backup, and specific alternative uses could work in similar manner in relationship to the KP.

If shooting JPEG images, the KP's Prime IV processor does an outstanding job for right out-of-camera results, even better than my K-S2 or K-5 IIs. With either camera, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for best fine detail. This is the same processor as in the K-1 II.

The KP's 86K pixel metering also seems to be more accurate than that of my previous cameras, also being the same as in the K-1 II. Likewise, the KP's SAFOX 11 AF impresses me as a bit quicker and more sure, especially when using traditional screw-driven AF lenses. Operation and shutter are quieter than my K-S2, but not compared to my K-5 IIs. The KP's controls are very advanced, far superior compared to my K-S2, but not compared to my K-5 IIs.

I enjoy the use of many of my lenses on the KP. The DA 20-40mm Ltd lens is great, and on the KP fits like a custom glove on the hand. The KP is also a great combo with the compact, high-quality Ltd primes. When adding the KP's battery grip, handling is much better for overall handling when not in the shooting position if using large, heavier lenses, and far better than when putting such lenses on my K-S2, even somewhat better than my K-5 IIs without its battery grip. I also like the battery grip when shooting certain events where pausing for battery changes would be disruptive. No such option with my K-S2.

Due to FOV issues, there are some of my FF lenses I definitely prefer to use with my K-1 II.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-07-2021 at 06:36 PM.
12-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #49
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Mike - Thanks for taking the time to put "pen to paper" so to speak. I have a much better appreciation for the product line overall and have a better sense of the KP specifically.

12-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
As it turned out, this was clearly a mistaken assessment. The KP and the K-3 III are very dissimilar in design and function. Perhaps more alike in performance, in that the KP does approach that of the K-1 II, as the K-3 III does also- yet more. The KP is good for burst shooting, but with a rather small buffer, while the K-3 III is far better than any previous Pentax. The modular concept of the KP is unique, but not for everyone's taste, for whom the K-3 III would be the logical step forward. The concept of the KP is for a compact, slim model of pro build quality, that is great for lighter carrying and competes quite well with high-end APS-C mirrorless offerings, but with its modular capability can be converted to a bulkier handful, while the K-3 III weighs a quarter pound more and bulkier on its own, which is more suitable for those preferring this style of camera. The KP has a built-in flash, which some find useless while others find useful. The KP would fit very well slotted-in as the mid-priced high-quality compact option, between the entry-level but capable K-70 and the top-level low-light and fast action K-3 III.

I have the K20D and K-5 IIs for the more full-size models, and the K-S2 for the flippy-screen lightweight model for casual carrying. This model is of similar design to the K-70, but is yet smaller and lighter, and it is capable of fine results. I use it for certain events with the small DA 18-50mm, which will actually fit into a large jacket pocket! I also use it for other purposes where the flippy screen will serve best. So the K-70 as a secondary body for backup, and specific alternative uses could work in similar manner in relationship to the KP.

If shooting JPEG images, the KP's Prime IV processor does an outstanding job for right out-of-camera results, even better than my K-S2 or K-5 IIs. With either camera, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for best fine detail. This is the same processor as in the K-1 II.

The KP's 86K pixel metering also seems to be more accurate than that of my previous cameras, also being the same as in the K-1 II. Likewise, the KP's SAFOX 11 AF impresses me as a bit quicker and more sure, especially when using traditional screw-driven AF lenses. Operation and shutter are quieter than my K-S2, but not compared to my K-5 IIs. The KP's controls are very advanced, far superior compared to my K-S2, but not compared to my K-5 IIs.

I enjoy the use of many of my lenses on the KP. The DA 20-40mm Ltd lens is great, and on the KP fits like a custom glove on the hand. The KP is also a great combo with the compact, high-quality Ltd primes. When adding the KP's battery grip, handling is much better for overall handling when not in the shooting position if using large, heavier lenses, and far better than when putting such lenses on my K-S2, even somewhat better than my K-5 IIs without its battery grip. I also like the battery grip when shooting certain events where pausing for battery changes would be disruptive. No such option with my K-S2.

Due to FOV issues, there are some of my FF lenses I definitely prefer to use with my K-1 II.
Thanks for taking the time to write this. I is an excellent assessment of the KP..
12-07-2021, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a used KP from the forum here in March and am very pleased with it - keep your eyes peeled and jump on a deal.
12-10-2021, 02:51 PM - 3 Likes   #52
Forum Member

I bought two K-70s as I saw them as the logical upgrade to the two K-30s I own, I and I liked them a lot for the time I kept them.

I never had an issue with the K-30s until last year. My plan was to keep the two K-70s as main bodies, sell one of the K-30s and retaining the other as I liked the fact of having a body that used AA batteries which are readily available anywhere in emergency.

Unexpectedly, after several years of fair use and when I was in the process of selling it, one of the two K-30 developed the dreaded ABF and that made me think about the K-70s that, potentially, with time, might develop the same problem.

For my peace of mind I decided to sell the two almost new K-70s and purchased a used silver KP. It was love at first sight! So much so that I bought a second body, new this time, when they were sold new at less than 600 Euros early last year, just for a few days.

Needless to say that I did not regret my decision for a minute. The main points (there are more, but less importatnt to me) that make me prefer the KP over the otherwise very capable K-70 are:

- peace of mind regarding the potential ABF
- better AF and quieter shutter
- third wheel! once you get used to, you cannot simply live without it
- building quality! the K70 is good, but the KP is in another league
- last but not least the availability of a dedicated battery grip that can hold a larger D-LI90 battery

So, to answer your question, KP anytime for me!

(Did I mention that the silver KP is a real beauty? )

12-10-2021, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #53
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
Needless to say that I did not regret my decision for a minute. The main points (there are more, but less importatnt to me) that make me prefer the KP over the otherwise very capable K-70 are:

- peace of mind regarding the potential ABF
- better AF and quieter shutter
- third wheel! once you get used to, you cannot simply live without it
- building quality! the K70 is good, but the KP is in another league
- last but not least the availability of a dedicated battery grip that can hold a larger D-LI90 battery

So, to answer your question, KP anytime for me!

(Did I mention that the silver KP is a real beauty? )
Thank you White Feather - I was out today trying my hand at birds in flight with my (silver) K70 and 55-300 PLM - long story short, I had good results with large slow moving birds, not so good with hawks zipping over my head! I won't blame the K70 AF, the guy behind the shutter needs more practice! The loud shutter is another matter entirely - easy to get birds to fly away from you when you are getting close and clicking away.
12-11-2021, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
Thank you White Feather - I was out today trying my hand at birds in flight with my (silver) K70 and 55-300 PLM - long story short, I had good results with large slow moving birds, not so good with hawks zipping over my head! I won't blame the K70 AF, the guy behind the shutter needs more practice! The loud shutter is another matter entirely - easy to get birds to fly away from you when you are getting close and clicking away.
Practice is the key! Despite the KP autofocus being better than that of the K70, do not expect miracles... practice (some luck) and the right tecnique are the way to go when shooting birds in flight!
12-11-2021, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

With some hawks, particularly fishing hawks, you can catch them on their hovers as they look and/or prepare to fold up and dive.

Here's an example with the non-PLM 55-300 RE...

12-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #56
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
With some hawks, particularly fishing hawks, you can catch them on their hovers as they look and/or prepare to fold up and dive.

Well done! Thanks for passing that along - i will keep it n mind next time I am out.
12-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done! Thanks for passing that along - i will keep it n mind next time I am out.
The PLM is a true joy to use. But with other versions there is usually a technique that works in particular situations
12-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote

The non-PLM is also non-RE…
12-12-2021, 02:48 AM   #59
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
...For my peace of mind I decided to sell the two almost new K-70s and purchased a used silver KP. It was love at first sight! So much so that I bought a second body, new this time, when they were sold new at less than 600 Euros early last year, just for a few days. ...
And I've been kicking myself over my decision, when the KP was selling for $549.00 U.S.D., for those few days, not to buy a second one.
12-12-2021, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
And I've been kicking myself over my decision, when the KP was selling for $549.00 U.S.D., for those few days, not to buy a second one.
We should start a club