Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To KP or not to KP?

I have a K70 and I have been happy with my results so far, I can definitely see myself being happy with the kit I have for awhile. That said, with all the increased activity on the "D FA 21 Lens Give Away" I have had the chance to see a lot of other's results, and have to say my favorites have almost ALL been done with a KP. I imagine more experienced Pentaxians wouldn't bat an eye at having a second body to work with, so probably this is a pretty good place to ask. I amwondering if the KP and K70 would be a good pair to work with - the reviews were very closely matched, but the auto focus system on the KP seems head and shoulders above, wondering what KP users experiences have been.

12-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I love the KP. But it is fairly close to the K70 (from what I understand). If I were buying now and I had a K70 already that was working fine I'd probably be saving for the K3iii...
12-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When the KP was discontinued, about the time of release of the K3iii, I had a conversation with the Australian Pentax distributers CRK. I said I was surprised and disappointed that the KP had gone instead of the older, less capable, and still subject to aperture block failure K70. They agreed, saying they would have preferred for the KP to remain current. Their understanding was that Ricoh wanted to create as much clear air for the K3iii as possible, as the KP and K3iii were too similar.

By all means, pick up a KP if you can find one. But stay on the look out for a well-priced used K3iii when they start to appear!
12-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I love the KP. But it is fairly close to the K70 (from what I understand). If I were buying now and I had a K70 already that was working fine I'd probably be saving for the K3iii...
Thank you for this - it is the underlying question - I am not ready for a K3iii, sort of toying with the idea of getting a KP and then selling either the K70 or KP depending on which one I like better when I am ready to buy a K3iii.

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
When the KP was discontinued, about the time of release of the K3iii, I had a conversation with the Australian Pentax distributers CRK. I said I was surprised and disappointed that the KP had gone instead of the older, less capable, and still subject to aperture block failure K70. They agreed, saying they would have preferred for the KP to remain current. Their understanding was that Ricoh wanted to create as much clear air for the K3iii as possible, as the KP and K3iii were too similar.

By all means, pick up a KP if you can find one. But stay on the look out for a well-priced used K3iii when they start to appear!
Thanks Paul - very good info there, I appreciate the insight into why the KP was discontinued.

12-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've got both. For me the KP was considered an a/f upgrade from the K-70, and in that respect it worked. I do a lot of wild bird photography and the KP gave me a bit more capability with a moving subject (as did the K-3iii from the KP!)
I prefer the ergonomics of the K-70 for most things, it's just so much more like my other Pentax bodies … the KP is just a little "different" in several respects.
If you "need" the a/f performance, maybe the 1/24,000sec high-speed electronic shutter appeals, or the extra 3 stops of low light sensitivity … then the KP is the camera for you, though do try to get one with all three optional grips, so you can tailor it to suit you.
Other than that, the K-70 is cheaper, has a fully articulated screen, a more powerful flash and a (slightly but noticeably) longer battery life.
Beyond that, both cameras are much of a muchness … I'd say superb, but the K-3iii is superb, so let's settle on "very good indeed"
12-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #6
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kypher have you kept both the K70 and KP now that you have a K3iii? What elevates the K3iii to superb over very good indeed?
12-05-2021, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

One big advantage to the KP is it's modularity if that's important to you. Stick on the small grip and a prime for a compact package, or large grip + battery grip for a super tele zoom. Both are comfortable. I also find the third dial extremely useful.

I believe the general consensus is that the K-70 and KP have pretty close IQ, but the KP is well ahead in customizability, build quality, and AF. I'd say go for the KP, you won't regret it

12-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One big advantage to the KP is it's modularity if that's important to you. Stick on the small grip and a prime for a compact package, or large grip + battery grip for a super tele zoom. Both are comfortable. I also find the third dial extremely useful.

I believe the general consensus is that the K-70 and KP have pretty close IQ, but the KP is well ahead in customizability, build quality, and AF. I'd say go for the KP, you won't regret it
Thanks - I had not thought about the multiple grips being useful in such a way.
12-05-2021, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I did go KP just before the K-3 Mark III was available. Not because I could not afford the new K-3, but reading so much about the KP that I ordered one. I put on my 20-40 and was flabbergasted. The results were absolutely better than the results with the K-3 II. It does not have anything to do with sharpness, it is just the overall brightness, livelyness of what comes out of the camera. I used the same settings. This is what you can get with the SMC FA 77mm 1.8 Ltd attached to the KP see: Lovely Portraits :) - PentaxForums.com. I noticed that many of my lenses perform better with the KP than the K-3 II, which is of course my personal assessment. But attach an 18-135 to the KP and be surprised how well that lens performs compared to the K-3 II. I have always been happy with my K-3 II, but I am happier with my KP. If you can find one, be prepared to pay a premium price, because second hand they are very exepensive at the moment.
12-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a KP - no K70, but my understanding is that they are very similar in output. It might be that the KP owners are those who are just posting better shots due to random chance. The KP is “nicer” but the differences are not about IQ mostly as I understand.
12-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #11

I noticed that the K-30 was quite cheap on Pentax Australia too, but they are all gone now. Was there any love for the K-30?
12-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want get a KP. Make an opinion of the camera yourself. Then sell the less favorable body and save for the K-3III. The main difference is design and built. I am very pleased with the plastic body of the K-70 but wouldn’t say no to a better one. From what I read and hear, IQ is not that different. ISO is broader on the KP but in reality we’re talking about a stop or something, not at very high values, of course. Test the camera. Keep your favorite. Sell, save, buy a better one. That’s the safest way that involves all three cameras. You win.
12-05-2021, 04:36 PM   #13
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I did go KP just before the K-3 Mark III was available. Not because I could not afford the new K-3, but reading so much about the KP that I ordered one. I put on my 20-40 and was flabbergasted. The results were absolutely better than the results with the K-3 II. It does not have anything to do with sharpness, it is just the overall brightness, livelyness of what comes out of the camera. I used the same settings. This is what you can get with the SMC FA 77mm 1.8 Ltd attached to the KP see: Lovely Portraits :) - PentaxForums.com. I noticed that many of my lenses perform better with the KP than the K-3 II, which is of course my personal assessment. But attach an 18-135 to the KP and be surprised how well that lens performs compared to the K-3 II. I have always been happy with my K-3 II, but I am happier with my KP. If you can find one, be prepared to pay a premium price, because second hand they are very exepensive at the moment.

I have the 20-40, really enjoy that lens, glad to hear you see results that are even better on the KP!

I will be keeping an eye out for a KP.
12-05-2021, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps in the meantime you should concentrate on learning the features of the camera you have to the fullest extent. Look at eh photos you like and think of HOW the photographer achieved those results, not WHICH camera was used.

Don't get me wrong, after over a year of research, I purchased used KP from a PF member, and as pleased as I am with it, I know the results I am getting will only improves as I learn to use it more proficiently during this month's Single In challenge.
12-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If you can get one for the right price, do it.