Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2022, 04:12 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

KP Epiphany!

So there I was … thinking Bronica and Hasselblad and TLR … and it suddenly occurred to me if I flip out the screen on my KP in LiveView I've got a waist-level large-size viewfinder

01-19-2022, 04:37 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you elaborate a little more: where did you put film into KP?
01-19-2022, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Can you elaborate a little more: where did you put film into KP?
There's a little door on the bottom
01-19-2022, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
So there I was … thinking Bronica and Hasselblad and TLR … and it suddenly occurred to me if I flip out the screen on my KP in LiveView I've got a waist-level large-size viewfinder
I do this all the time with the K1 when doing street photography. The low vantage point and the added inconspicuousness make it ideal.

01-19-2022, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

that simple flip screen and the super convenience it gives in many possible situations is one main reason why i still hang on to the KP.

And one big thing i lament, as to why k33 does not have that.
01-19-2022, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
.. if I flip out the screen on my KP in LiveView I've got a waist-level large-size viewfinder
This is why I am not a side-flip-screen fan. Flip-twist rather than simple tilt.. does not sound like much, but I really prefer the screen behind not beside the camera.
Now a screen hinged on top? I'd be OK with that, with subsequent twist or not, as the screen is still centered on the body for ideal TLR mimicry.
01-19-2022, 05:49 PM   #7

But then the image isn't reversed left-to-right on the KP screen as on a TLR.

01-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LOL.what took you so long!
01-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cowlitzJim Quote
This is why I am not a side-flip-screen fan. Flip-twist rather than simple tilt.. does not sound like much, but I really prefer the screen behind not beside the camera.
Now a screen hinged on top? I'd be OK with that, with subsequent twist or not, as the screen is still centered on the body for ideal TLR mimicry.
Yup. Prefer KP type screen than K70.
Cuz prefer same line of sight.
01-19-2022, 09:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sony a77 / a99 screen is a nice compromise between the tilt only and sideways flip out screens.

01-20-2022, 01:30 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The Sony a77 / a99 screen is a nice compromise between the tilt only and sideways flip out screens.
It is, and it works well (the few times I've used it on my A99-based Hasselblad HV) - but it's the least sturdy part of the camera by far. I'll bet there's a few broken ones out there...
01-20-2022, 01:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I do this all the time with the K1 when doing street photography. The low vantage point and the added inconspicuousness make it ideal.
Looking forward to trying it out "in the wild" … anticipating 'interesting' architectural results with ultra-wide or fisheye lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by cowlitzJim Quote
Exactly this
I'd tried the screen on the K-70 in various positions … it's very handy for low-level macro and high-elevation astro (and probably the ubiquitous 'selfie'), but it had never inspired me as a compositional tool … more concepts to play with

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
But then the image isn't reversed left-to-right on the KP screen as on a TLR.
No, but we're waiting for the firmware update

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
LOL.what took you so long!
Old age !?!

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Yup. Prefer KP type screen than K70.
Cuz prefer same line of sight.
Exactly, dunno why I never thought of it before

Last edited by kypfer; 01-20-2022 at 01:39 AM.
01-20-2022, 02:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I do not think I ever buy another ILC without a tiltable screen.
KP with DA10-17 has become a favorite combination of mine, because it is so easy to be creative with perspective/composition using live view and tilt screen.

But IMO many shots benefit from being shot from a lower level (waist level) and it is easier to keep track of the surroundings when not looking through a eye level viewfinder.
01-20-2022, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I do not think I ever buy another ILC without a tiltable screen.
Whereas I'll stick, wherever possible, to cameras with as few flippy, dangly bits as possible - though I do understand the attraction and practicality of articulating screens for some. The K-1 / K-1II implementation is the most robust implementation I've seen... I'd be quite happy to have something like that on my cameras - but I'd rather save a few mm in thickness and grammes in weight...
01-20-2022, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Whereas I'll stick, wherever possible, to cameras with as few flippy, dangly bits as possible - though I do understand the attraction and practicality of articulating screens for some. The K-1 / K-1II implementation is the most robust implementation I've seen... I'd be quite happy to have something like that on my cameras - but I'd rather save a few mm in thickness and grammes in weight...
The implementation of the tilt screen on KP is pretty sturdy too. It feels more sturdy than the tilt screens on my Sony E-mount cameras (but I never had any issues with the screens on them either).

Simple tilt screens are probably less prone to failure than fully articulated screens that are more exposed outside the camera and may have a higher risk of getting tangled up in something.
And also, the easier it is to flip it back onto the camera the less risk of damage while doing it.

I believe KP is the smallest and lightest Pentax DSLR I have owned (but it is partly because of the smaller battery).