Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2022, 11:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Access to Digital Filter Option for KP

I would like to experiment with the various digital filters that are available on the KP. I have attempted to do this by following the instructions found in the KP Operating Manual, pages 87-88. After displaying the image to edit in Step 1, Step 2 reads "Select (Digital Filter) in the playback mode palette." However, this option is not displayed in the playback menu. Only the following options are displayed:

Slideshow
Protect ALL Images
Delete ALL Images
Quick Zoom
Playback Sound Volume
LCD Display

Why is the Select Digital Filter option missing in the playback mode palette? Any help would be appreciated.

---------- Post added 01-27-22 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DenB Quote
I would like to experiment with the various digital filters that are available on the KP. I have attempted to do this by following the instructions found in the KP Operating Manual, pages 87-88. After displaying the image to edit in Step 1, Step 2 reads "Select (Digital Filter) in the playback mode palette." However, this option is not displayed in the playback menu. Only the following options are displayed:

Slideshow
Protect ALL Images
Delete ALL Images
Quick Zoom
Playback Sound Volume
LCD Display

Why is the Select Digital Filter option missing in the playback mode palette? Any help would be appreciated.
It looks like I stumbled onto the answer to my own question. I found the digital filters option by pressing the WB key while viewing a photo in the Playback mode. Why no mention of this in the Operating Manual? The Step 2 manual instruction ignores this essential requirement -- very strange and frustrating!!

01-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would like to experiment with the various digital filters that are available on the KP. I have attempted to do this by following the instructions found in the KP Operating Manual, pages 87-88.
Why no mention of this in the Operating Manual? The Step 2 manual instruction ignores this essential requirement -- very strange and frustrating!!

Try p47 "down arrow" displays the playback mode palette p81
Hint :- having a pdf copy of the manual on the computer gives an easily searchable document when looking for a specific feature
Manuals are available here Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Some of the Digital Filters are favourites of mine.
I now go to the effort of looking for subjects that might work with the filters, especially "extract color", "water color" and "pastel".
Try "water color" with the saturation turned off for a "pen & ink" effect!
For reference, these effects are NOT available in the K-3iii a significant oversight in my view!
I've taken to carrying both bodies "just in case"
Enjoy!

Water color filter with no colour!
01-27-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Try p47 "down arrow" displays the playback mode palette p81

For reference, these effects are NOT available in the K-3iii a significant oversight in my view!
I've taken to carrying both bodies "just in case"
Water color filter with no colour!
Yes , very odd indeed.
Those filters are available on all Pentax ( Q , MX-1 , K-30 , K-50 , K-70 , K-s1 , K-5 , K-1 etc),
even on K-3 mk1 + mk2 but not on K-3III,
odd ....
01-27-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It looks like I stumbled onto the answer to my own question. I found the digital filters option by pressing the WB key while viewing a photo in the Playback mode. Why no mention of this in the Operating Manual? The Step 2 manual instruction ignores this essential requirement -- very strange and frustrating!!
It is the first thng that is mentioned in the playback section of the manual. page 81.

Last edited by Fogel70; 05-31-2022 at 04:59 AM.
01-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Yes , very odd indeed.
Those filters are available on all Pentax ( Q , MX-1 , K-30 , K-50 , K-70 , K-s1 , K-5 , K-1 etc),
even on K-3 mk1 + mk2 but not on K-3III,
odd ....
The k3iii has a brand new operating system. Perhaps that is related.
01-27-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible to process in camera the K3iii images in the KP?
01-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
Is it possible to process in camera the K3iii images in the KP?
Not directly
The K-3iii produces a slightly bigger image than the KP, 6192x4128 vs. 6014x4000, so the image would first need to be cropped or resized.
Then, the EXIF data needs to be edited to "imitate" the data produced by a KP.
Any Pentax camera, in my experience (and as mentioned in the handbooks), will only edit images produced by a camera of the same type, even to the extent, in one instance at least, of one of my cameras refusing to edit an image taken with an earlier version of firmware!
Get that all correct and it'll usually work I've done it, at which point I decided it was easier to carry a second body

---------- Post added 01-27-22 at 03:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The k3iii has a brand new operating system. Perhaps that is related.
Very likely probably decided that the recoding effort simply wasn't worth it for a little-used function, or maybe the functions are simply too large and they needed the ROM space for other stuff!

01-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Fogel70 for pointing out the down key reference in the manual. I suspected that I overlooked something and you found it.

---------- Post added 01-27-22 at 06:51 PM ----------

Thank you Kypfer for mentioning the down key reference that I overlooked and for your tip on the "pen and ink" look. That is one I look forward to trying. Over the years I have noticed how many camera reviewers dismiss these options as amateurish and of no interest to "real photographers." I started looking into these kinds of menu options only recently and I have to admit that I find them to be a lot of fun.
01-28-2022, 11:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote

Very likely probably decided that the recoding effort simply wasn't worth it for a little-used function, or maybe the functions are simply too large and they needed the ROM space for other stuff!

In another thread, @JPT stated: (bold added by me)
QuoteQuote:
I saw a magazine interview recently where someone from Ricoh marketing was saying that the reason the K-3 III took so long to appear was mainly firmware development. He mentioned that the new firmware in the K-3 III is a like a once-a-decade endeavor, and a complete generational change. Although they based it on the GR firmware, so much needed to be added to support the many extra features of a DSLR, that it was way more complicated. To me, this makes me think that it is basically done now, so it will make it easier to develop cameras in the future. The hard work is done, so more cameras can follow.
If the new firmware for the K-3iii took an excessive amount of time, "extras" like Digital Filters may have been omitted to reduce development time or complexity with the new firmware.

My other thought was that Pentax has said a lot about the pentaprism and making the K-3iii a camera that truly connects with the classic idea of photography -- capturing what the eye sees. In that vein, perhaps they felt such digital manipulations were a "removal" from their intent with the camera? I don't know. Just pure speculation, having watched all their videos on the K-3iii.

I do wonder if a firmware update might add them at some future point?
01-29-2022, 12:17 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
In another thread, @JPT stated: (bold added by me)

My other thought was that Pentax has said a lot about the pentaprism and making the K-3iii a camera that truly connects with the classic idea of photography -- capturing what the eye sees. In that vein, perhaps they felt such digital manipulations were a "removal" from their intent with the camera? I don't know. Just pure speculation, having watched all their videos on the K-3iii.

I do wonder if a firmware update might add them at some future point?
I totally agree with "the classic idea of photography" logic.
I would like to keep cameras as simple & as reliable as possible.
Keep all Digital Filters etc in Post Production.
01-29-2022, 07:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I totally agree with "the classic idea of photography" logic.
I would like to keep cameras as simple & as reliable as possible.
Keep all Digital Filters etc in Post Production.
Just remember that you can do Limited post production on the camera. Pentax was one of the manufacturers that made in camera raw development available widely from flagship to entry level. That feature is quite useful when away from the laptop.
01-29-2022, 08:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just remember that you can do Limited post production on the camera. Pentax was one of the manufacturers that made in camera raw development available widely from flagship to entry level. That feature is quite useful when away from the laptop.
Especially when used in conjunction with an external screen, like a TV, connected with an HDMI cable