Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP: Focus confirmation pentagon

Is there any way to get focus confirmation hexagon on KP viewfinder while working with manual lens and without pushing a button (shutter release or AF)? If this is not possible is there any way to assign AF function to Fx1 button?

Last edited by jumbleview; 02-02-2022 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Typo fixed
02-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Is there any way to get focus confirmation pentagon on KP viewfinder while working with manual lens and without pushing a button (shutter release or AF)? If this is not possible is there any way to assign AF function to Fx1 button?
The green hexagon will illuminate on an in-focus condition when the camera is "alive". You can lengthen the alive condition in the menu.

You can assign the AF to the AF/AEL button on the back of the camera instead of or in addition too a shutter half press.
02-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The green hexagon will illuminate on an in-focus condition when the camera is "alive". You can lengthen the alive condition in the menu.

You can assign the AF to the AF/AEL button on the back of the camera instead of or in addition too a shutter half press.
Thanks, now I got it. If there are information illuminated in the green at the bottom of viewfinder I can see hexagon while in focus. No need to keep the button pressed. Still I am a little disappointed that function assignment to user buttons is not that flexible.

Last edited by jumbleview; 02-02-2022 at 01:33 PM.
02-02-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still I am a little disappointed that function assignment to user buttons is not that flexible.
You can have the AF active on shutter half press or by pressing the AF button on the back of the camera, or both.

The AF hexagon is only of use when your eye is to the viewfinder. Why do you want to assign a third button to it ?

02-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Still I am a little disappointed that function assignment to user buttons is not that flexible.
Hmmmm...you are asking for camera wake-up to be a user-defined button. Fair enough. If that is possible, it is new to me. Perhaps someone else has better knowledge of the matter than me.

Steve
02-02-2022, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is my setup. I made camera handle out of L-plate base and custom made handle. When I shoot in auto I hold the camera with both hands: left on the handle, and right on the camera grip. While shooting with manual I grasp the handle with the left hand and use the right hand for all adjustment (on the lens and on the camera). It would be convenient for me to push Fx1 button with the left thumb to activate hexagon while rotating the focus ring with the right hand. Alas.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by jumbleview; 02-02-2022 at 04:05 PM.
02-02-2022, 07:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider adding a remote release to your LH grip?
KP shutter release ... Wired and Wireless options that work ! - PentaxForums.com
or
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252185-REG/Pentax_37248_Cable_Switch_...981&

Or DIY you could adapt to your kit:
Make a DIY Cable Release for your K10D - PentaxForums.com

02-03-2022, 01:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

How about setting the camera power savings to "Never Turn Off" and the metering the same?
I ran my KP like this for a while … it'll last about 4 hours on a full battery, so a spare or two in the pocket becomes almost mandatory, but it's always ready for instantaneous action
I got bored with that concept when I lost a couple of potentially nice action shots 'cos the battery had died and I'd not realised
02-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a plan to get some remote to the KP (infrared which I use for other Pentax cameras is not applicable to KP). But I still believe for the hand held shooting it is an overkill.

---------- Post added 02-03-22 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
How about setting the camera power savings to "Never Turn Off" and the metering the same?
I ran my KP like this for a while … it'll last about 4 hours on a full battery, so a spare or two in the pocket becomes almost mandatory, but it's always ready for instantaneous action
I got bored with that concept when I lost a couple of potentially nice action shots 'cos the battery had died and I'd not realised
Not sure I do understand it. From my experiments with KP I can catch the hexagon approximately within 10 seconds after pushing AF button or shutter half-press. And it does not depend on power off camera setting.

Last edited by jumbleview; 02-03-2022 at 11:27 AM.
02-03-2022, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Not sure I do understand it. From my experiments with KP I can catch the hexagon approximately within 10 seconds after pushing AF button or shutter half-press. And it does not depend on power off camera setting.

The metering settings are separate from the power-off settings … Menu C1 #3 … set it to 4 Continue
02-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The metering settings are separate from the power-off settings … Menu C1 #3 … set it to 4 Continue
Bingo! Many thanks. Set it to 30 sec and tried it. More then enough! But I found that menu item "Meter operating time" is misleading. I assumed it is about exposure not focus.
02-04-2022, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Bingo! Many thanks. Set it to 30 sec and tried it. More then enough! But I found that menu item "Meter operating time" is misleading. I assumed it is about exposure not focus.
Super!
Glad that worked for you
I've had problems with Pentax's phraseology myself in the past … only realised very recently that Shading in the Digital Filters is actually a vignette function … who'd have known?