Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe you will find this weird but I got a Canon G3X superzoom as an "alternative" when I need something other than my K3 III. It sports an 8.8 to 220 mm zoom, equivalent to a 24 to 600 optical zoom on a 20 Mpx sensor. Only problem is colors are "colder" than Pentax lenses but it's light and delivers very good images.

03-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Yes, it is surprising to me how polarizing the KP is considering how much it resembles a film body. The first time I saw it I thought it was a great looking camera, and after I got one it took me about 15sec to get used to it! I was coming from a KS2 which is already small and a little different, but the KP is really the perfect camera for me!
I'll go with that same sentiment. I bought my new KP last year when my K-S1 started showing aperture problems, and it is a delight to use, with outsanding image quality. It feels like it could stop a bullet, and is actually made of that rare stuff-metal! I use the smallest handgrip without any issues, and the fact that it takes the 'universal 'K series batteries is a bonus.This one is not going anywhere soon......probably the closest to my ideal Spotmatic replacement in this digital age. It's a simple or complicated as you want to make it.
03-01-2022, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
So I've been out and about the with KP and really like it. I honestly don't understand why Ricoh discontinued it. They should have kept it, discontinued the K-70 and maybe lowered the price although it was half the price of the K3Mk3.
03-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donaldslevine Quote
So I've been out and about the with KP and really like it. I honestly don't understand why Ricoh discontinued it. They should have kept it, discontinued the K-70 and maybe lowered the price although it was half the price of the K3Mk3.
Perhaps Ricoh discontinued it because it's too well made!

Last edited by martin42mm; 03-01-2022 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
03-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That might not have been possible due to chip availability and cost to manufacture.
03-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If a camera manufacturer is any good at all they will have a few camera bodies their adherents will hate: Armchair Leicaphiles still treat the Leica M5 like the ugly stepchild, while Leicaphiles that actually shot with the M5 applauded the virtues of its design.
I get it. Everyone loves to hate the Leica X-Vario but I love mine. I just remember it is not a low light lens and I'm a happy camper. As for my new KP, I originally (way back in the dark ages) bought a Pentax for its size. I had borrowed a friends Canon F-1 when I was in college. It was so big and heavy. I hated it. When I saw a Pentax in the store, I was so pleased with its petit size vis a vis the Canon and Nikon. I don't like a big heavy camera. Never did.
03-01-2022, 12:52 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So I've been out and about the with KP and really like it. I honestly don't understand why Ricoh discontinued it.
It was discontinued when the K3iii came out. Not believing much in coincidental business decisions, I suspect it was to avoid sales cannibalization and to oblige media to compare the K3iii to the K3ii (logical predecessor) and K-70 (current available APSC). It appears as a series of bigger improvements, rationalizing the bigger price tag.

03-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Whoa!! Wait a minute!! "out and about with the KP"?? Did you get a KP after all? Did I miss a post? Maybe you borrowed or rented?? You're not holding out on us are you!?

Either way, I love my KP. I hope you have a good experience with yours and keep it. Let us know how it works out. BTW I have the silver version!
03-02-2022, 07:05 AM   #39

Original Poster
I bought it. Very happy with it too. Mine is black - beggars can be choosers - I had to take what was available. I put my new 18-135 on it. I have an older 18-250 from my K10 (RIP) which I might try on it. I'm even thinking of selling the K3Mkiii, the Sigma 17-50 and Pentax 55-300 and just keeping the 55 1.4 that I have to use with the KP. Or just selling the Sigma - it is a big, heavy lens - almost bigger than the KP itself.
03-02-2022, 08:29 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought it. Very happy with it too. Mine is black - beggars can be choosers - I had to take what was available. I put my new 18-135 on it. I have an older 18-250 from my K10 (RIP) which I might try on it. I'm even thinking of selling the K3Mkiii, the Sigma 17-50 and Pentax 55-300 and just keeping the 55 1.4 that I have to use with the KP. Or just selling the Sigma - it is a big, heavy lens - almost bigger than the KP itself.
The Sigma 17-50 is the one you refer to as "big and heavy", or is it a different Sigma? I have both the ones mentioned and don't recall there being a lot of difference in size or weight between them. Then against I'm pretty accustomed to the new lenses which by and large are all heavier than the relatively svelte lenses many of us used until recently.

EDIT: A few hours after I posted this I remembered that the *55 and Sigma 17-50 were my first two "portrait" lenses, used with two K-S2's, then later a KP as well. They actually made a very effective glass pair so I don't think I'd be too quick to get rid of the Sigma.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-02-2022 at 02:10 PM.
03-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I have the KP, and a Tamron 18-250 of less-than-recent vintage , and the lens works fine with the KP as it did with all my previous Pentax DSLRs. Like all wide-range lenses, there is always a trade-off between image quality and convenience, and that applies to all zoom lenses to a greater or lesser extent. I've always been very happy with the results from my copy of that lens.
03-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I'm even thinking of selling the K3Mkiii, the Sigma 17-50 and Pentax 55-300 and just keeping the 55 1.4 that I have to use with the KP.
Interesting. I'm glad you're liking the KP.

I actually tried the KP at BIC Camera in Japan, but I just couldn't get past the ergonomics. It's a nice camera, but I do prefer the K-3 type of camera body.
03-02-2022, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect they are starting to realize they made a mistake in discontinuing the KP. It is the perfect mid-price point in an excellent, unique camera, build quality and all. It is the only Pentax DSLR (or any other) that can compete with high-end APS-C mirrorless offerings for compactness with top quality imaging. It is also the perfect complement to the K-1 or K-1 II, or to the K-3 III as a compact alternative with still high-end imaging quality. Its controls are also much in line in being similar to the K-1, K-1 II, and K-3 III. I've had two KP bodies for several years now, bought new at a very good price point, and bought the K-1 II instead of the new K-3 III. I do indeed enjoy what I have.

You are fortunate to find a new left-over KP at all. Once announced as discontinued, the price actually went up! First time I'd seen that! Yet they still flew off the shelves. It sounds like you are having a good time with all the features and capabilities now at your disposal!
03-02-2022, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Sigma 17-50
I would highly recommend hanging on to that one- I too have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM and it is a great lens, especially for the cost. Performance is excellent, it was tested as having virtually no field curvature, a rare achievement for such a lens, and I don't find mine to be all that large for this type of lens. The new Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM is much larger and heavier and costs a whole lot more. This Sigma lens handles well for me with the largest of the supplied grips. It is well-designed, with its AF/MF switch conveniently located and not requiring simultaneous switching on the camera body. AF is quiet, and with my copy is fast and accurate.

I have other lenses I use more frequently, like my long-time DA 18-135mm, or my very compact and excellent DA 20-40mm Ltd, which seems like it is made with the KP in mind, though it came out ahead of the KP. But when you need a pro-style high-quality constant aperture f/2.8 zoom lens, nothing else will deliver the shutter speeds for low light and/or faster action shooting as a lens such as this one can. I love it in combo with my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 lens for a large aperture zoom kit with wonderful imaging quality, and at a fraction of the size, weight, and cost compared to the FF rig of a DFA 24-70 f/2.8 and DFA 70-200mm f/2.8 on the K-1 or K-1 II.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-04-2022 at 08:46 PM.
03-22-2022, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I suspect they are starting to realize they made a mistake in discontinuing the KP
Who knows, maybe it was discontinued because there's a planned successor in the next year or two. As far as I'm aware it sold decently well, and I'd personally be much more interested in a KPII than a K3III.

The KP design philosophy just suits me.