Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel Shift on KP

I was reading the Hidden Features of Pentax Cameras article and it mentioned that "higher end models allow for more advanced functionality with this feature (pixel shift) such as the ability to take shots handheld. . ." I was surprised reading this because I assumed the feature applied to tripod use only. Has anyone tried the pixel shift handheld with the KP? Were you satisfied with the results? In the meantime, I think I will give it a try!

Last edited by DenB; 04-02-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: My question still stands.
04-02-2022, 11:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the most part, results depend on the light available, because you want a high shutter speed. It also depends on how stady you are able to hold the camera as well.
04-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DenB Quote
I was reading the Hidden Features of Pentax Cameras article and it mentioned that "higher end models allow for more advanced functionality with this feature (pixel shift) such as the ability to take shots handheld. . ." I was surprised reading this because I assumed the feature applied to tripod use only. Has anyone tried the pixel shift handheld with the KP? Were you satisfied with the results? In the meantime, I think I will give it a try![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 04-02-22 at 10:39 AM ----------
IMO only K-1mkII has a in-camera pixelshift mode to use handheld, maybe the K3-III too - don‘t know.
04-02-2022, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
IMO only K-1mkII has a in-camera pixelshift mode to use handheld, maybe the K3-III too - don‘t know.
That's right. With the KP pixel shift is designed only for tripod use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can hold it steadily enough, you may not see any improvement in sharpness, but there could be a subtle improvement in colour fidelity and noise performance.
04-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

The KP does have a motion correction mode (mc pixel shift on or off). I have the KP in my hands. But as others said, it does require good light for fast shutter speed.
04-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
The KP does have a motion correction mode (mc pixel shift on or off). I have the KP in my hands. But as others said, it does require good light for fast shutter speed.
Motion correction only compensates for motion within the frame, such moving water or leaves on trees. It is not meant to compensate for hand-held shake. PS on the KP is only intended for use on a tripod (if you want to achieve useable results). I have obtained some spectacular results from my KP in PS mode.

04-02-2022, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pixel shift is something that people don't seem to understand very well. These are three options.

(1) Pixel Shift (motion correction off) -- this requires tripod support and a completely still scene. Any areas of motion will show as artifacts.

(2) Pixel Shift with motion correction -- motion correction can be done in camera or in post, but basically, with motion correction you replace any areas of motion with masked in areas from a single one of the four images you shot. Pentax uses the first image, but Raw Therapee will allow you to choose any of the four. I think it is important to note two things. First, any scene with lots of motion will require masking of the whole image and you are better off shooting a single image. Two, hand held simply won't work. Pixel shift requires a pixel level adjustment and that is not possible hand held.

(3) Dynamic Pixel Shift -- this is a hand held pixel shift that is only available on the K-1 II. It isn't terribly useful -- it can only be processed in camera and doesn't allow for RAW image shooting. It takes a long time to process per image, but does reduce noise and improve sharpness for a jpeg image.

My personal rules of thumb are that you should use a tripod and have a still scene and use either the self timer or a remote to trigger the camera for best results.
04-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want an example (how you shouldn't do), I took a pixelshift picture from the deck of a (slow) moving boat...

K3II,

Check top ridge of the mountains....
Conclusion, a big, slow moving boat outpaces pixelshifting
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pixel shift is something that people don't seem to understand very well. These are three options.

(1) Pixel Shift (motion correction off) -- this requires tripod support and a completely still scene. Any areas of motion will show as artifacts.

(2) Pixel Shift with motion correction -- motion correction can be done in camera or in post, but basically, with motion correction you replace any areas of motion with masked in areas from a single one of the four images you shot. Pentax uses the first image, but Raw Therapee will allow you to choose any of the four. I think it is important to note two things. First, any scene with lots of motion will require masking of the whole image and you are better off shooting a single image. Two, hand held simply won't work. Pixel shift requires a pixel level adjustment and that is not possible hand held.

(3) Dynamic Pixel Shift -- this is a hand held pixel shift that is only available on the K-1 II. It isn't terribly useful -- it can only be processed in camera and doesn't allow for RAW image shooting. It takes a long time to process per image, but does reduce noise and improve sharpness for a jpeg image.

My personal rules of thumb are that you should use a tripod and have a still scene and use either the self timer or a remote to trigger the camera for best results.
I've tried different modes of pixel shift but was not very impressed. To get high resolution/ nearly noise free results in difficult situations (taking pictures in museums without flash or tripod) i recommend shooting of e.g. ten pictures (in high speed series mode) with high iso setting (e.g. 51200) and process them with Photoaccute (Almalence). The only way to get good results is to go for image stacking with products like Photoaccute or Photoshop.