Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #1

Overseas KP purchase

Greetings!
I'm upgrading from my KS2, and I've come around to the KP. However, as we know they are becoming rare and expensive on the used market. ATM, there are a few available from Japanese eBay sellers, but I have my reservations. Before I take the plunge, a few questions I'm hoping someone can ease my fears or dissuade me from a bad decision:
  • Does approx $850 USD (1100ish CAD) seem reasonable for a kit that includes a grip? (about 9,000 shutter count)
  • Does anyone have experience importing from Japan to Canada? Are import fees excessive?
  • Has anyone bought a KP and regretted it?
  • Is KS2>KP a meaningful upgrade?

I'm also wondering if there will be a KP replacement, but I see a recent thread to that effect saying basically no.
Thanks all for your time.

05-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Import fees: You will likely need to pay PST/GST on your purchase.

Postage to Japan is *very* expensive, so if there is a problem with your purchase, make sure the seller pays for return postage.
05-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I "window shop" cameras and lenses as a way to waste time. Recently, Amazon had a used KP for 900 usd. By that measure the deal you have (with grip) is good. The lack of KPs in the used market makes a meaningful price range impossible. I bought a Ks2 as a backup for my K70. It arrived with aperture block so it was returned. I immediately liked the ergonomics and was sad to see it go. As there were many similarities to the K70 I thought it a good 2nd camera. Bought the KP when it was 700 and to answer you question, absolutely no regrets. Is it a meaningful upgrade? I would think so. I believe you will get better images and the bells and whistles are convenient. I would add some weasel words. I shoot landscape and man-made stuff associated with it. The KP is fine if not outstanding. As you will see in all reviews the K3 III is the guy for wildlife and other action stuff. Get the tool that is appropriate for the job.
05-06-2022, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too bought a KP for $700 and love it. I got my grip for $130 new about six months ago.

05-06-2022, 11:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I too bought a KP for $700 and love it. I got my grip for $130 new about six months ago.
That's the battery grip, right? I should have specified the one I'm looking at includes just the extra "large" grip, not the battery grip. Thanks for your input!

---------- Post added 05-06-22 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Import fees: You will likely need to pay PST/GST on your purchase.

Postage to Japan is *very* expensive, so if there is a problem with your purchase, make sure the seller pays for return postage.
Good point, thank you. I will look closer at that fine print.
05-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP sold here in the US came with all 3 grips. I already long had my K-5 IIs, and for a few years, my K-S2 as my compact lightweight model, both bought new in closeout deals. I also bought the KP after the price came down considerably and liked it so much I bought a 2nd body. And I do use them both! What I am saying is, if you find a lightly used one closer to home, it will likely come with all 3 grips. Hard to find, patience required, as owners tend to hang on to this outstanding model. But some have gone for the new K-3 III for the special capabilities it offers, and might then decide to part with their KP.
05-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Doh, of course the one I was looking at is now gone. And no Japanese sellers I've come across include return shipping.
I may try to be a bit more patient, as mikesbike advised, and wait for one on the continent. (If you're selling, DM me!)

05-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do this search once a week or so:
Pentax in Canada - Kijiji?

There was a KP listed in Calgary a couple months ago.

Some people on kijiji are leery about shipping, but I've had some success a few times.
05-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eorrbit Quote
Greetings!
I'm upgrading from my KS2, and I've come around to the KP. However, as we know they are becoming rare and expensive on the used market. ATM, there are a few available from Japanese eBay sellers, but I have my reservations. Before I take the plunge, a few questions I'm hoping someone can ease my fears or dissuade me from a bad decision:
  • Does approx $850 USD (1100ish CAD) seem reasonable for a kit that includes a grip? (about 9,000 shutter count)
  • Does anyone have experience importing from Japan to Canada? Are import fees excessive?
  • I'm also wondering if there will be a KP replacement, but I see a recent thread to that effect saying basically no.
Living in a different customs import regime to where most of my photography equipment comes from makes me familiar with the concept of import/export duties etc.
Check with your local authorities specifically regarding the import of second-hand cameras … there may be import duties to be considered as well as local purchase tax and/or GST etc. … things can get expensive. Also, irrespective of actual postage costs, confirm the details of re-exporting the unit if you need to return it … some taxes/duties can be non-refundable and there may be customs duties etc. to be dealt with at the other end!
I don't regret buying my KP … my K-3iii gets the majority of use, but the KP is a great "second string".
I would suggest trying to get a KP with all three alternative bolt-on grips. In my hands, the ergonomics of the KP are sufficiently different to my other Pentax DSLRs to make the small grip most comfortable, but many do prefer the large grip.
There will (probably) be a new "non-flagship" APS-C DSLR from Pentax at some point … my guess would be a "conventionally" shaped body with many of the features of the KP, so possibly a K-70ii (or K-70p?), but that's purely personal opinion based on an overview of the current camera market … it's almost certainly going to be a couple of years before it happens, we'll have to wait and see
05-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Patience, patience and more patience. I found mine on gumtree for $600AUD without batteries.
Then several months later got the battery grip for $120AUD in as new condition in box from cash converters.
So lots of looking online at pawn shops, second hand dealers, etc etc. Personally I find the prices asked by the Japanese dealers very much on the high side without considering the import duties etc.
05-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI. There are 4 used KPs on Amazon, starting at $699.00 USD. The second listing is 749.00. Looks like a 30 day return policy. Good luck in your search.
05-06-2022, 11:07 PM   #12

There is a silver KP available on Amazon for $849. Japanese seller (Delight World), but shipping & returns by Amazon. An excellent no risk option, imho. I’ve purchased from this seller & was very satisfied.
05-07-2022, 01:30 AM   #13
SFX

I have experience with both KS2 and KP. I mainly use the KP. There is little difference in photo quality. But the KP feels like a real piece of equipment. The different handles (in thickness) are very handy. The body feels very slim. It is my most favorite body. Recommended!
05-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with SFX. I have long had my K-5 IIs, then the K-S2, and I still love them, but my KP is my most used body. The K-S2 is no slouch, a wonderful little camera, and its articulating rear screen especially with the selfie feature, can be very useful. I take it to social events, etc. for casual use, but if a more serious photo opportunity comes up along the way, it is still extremely capable. However, it is the KP that has been delivering the best imaging for me. Its low light/high ISO performance is really exceptional. If you like to shoot highest quality JPEGs right out of the camera, the KP's processor is outstanding. But for both cameras, do avoid using the green "auto" setting of your mode dial. This will block access to most adjustments and settings open to you, the camera being the boss for all operations. Instead, use the "P" setting for fully automated exposure if wished, which does allow you to make your own adjustments. Then be sure to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the most often used "Bright" category.
05-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eorrbit Quote
Greetings!

I'm also wondering if there will be a KP replacement, but I see a recent thread to that effect saying basically no.
I purchased my KP on Black Friday 2018, when the price first went down to $700; I have absolutely no regrets.
At that time, few Pentaxians wanted one because they were comparing it to the unseen K-3iii in their heads;
they seemed to assume a flippy LCD even though neither the K-3 nor the K-3ii had one,
and were interested in the KP only when Pentax no longer sold one.

Incidentally, I put the smallest grip on mine when it first arrived; I suppose I should look around for the large one, since they seem to have some value these days.