Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2022, 08:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

The Amazing KP

Last year I bought a brandnew KP and was amazed about the results with the 20-40 and the 77mm Ltd. Also noticed that the lovely 18-135 shines on this camera more than on the predecessors. This week, just for fun, I took some old glass: the Takumar f2.5 135mm and was amazed by the good quality of the pictures, so the last few days I took my A f3.5 35-105mm and the A f1.4 50mm. And I am simply amazed. I also took the K f3.5 28mm and was shocked by how easy it was to focus and get sharp pictures. The predecessors of the KP: Samsung GX-10, Pentax K-7 and K-3 Mark II never made it easy to focus with my manual lenses, so I stopped using them and went for AF. But the KP makes it so easy to focus with the OVF which so much more clear than the other camera's I mentioned. Is there anyone out there that has the same experience?

05-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Last year I bought a brandnew KP and was amazed about the results with the 20-40 and the 77mm Ltd. Also noticed that the lovely 18-135 shines on this camera more than on the predecessors. This week, just for fun, I took some old glass: the Takumar f2.5 135mm and was amazed by the good quality of the pictures, so the last few days I took my A f3.5 35-105mm and the A f1.4 50mm. And I am simply amazed. I also took the K f3.5 28mm and was shocked by how easy it was to focus and get sharp pictures. The predecessors of the KP: Samsung GX-10, Pentax K-7 and K-3 Mark II never made it easy to focus with my manual lenses, so I stopped using them and went for AF. But the KP makes it so easy to focus with the OVF which so much more clear than the other camera's I mentioned. Is there anyone out there that has the same experience?
I really love the KP, especially with the 16-85 and a couple of Ltd lenses. I use my KP even more than my K-1 II, unless I require the full 36 Mp.
05-21-2022, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have noticed that, but generally when using manual focus I’m on a tripod using live view. I agree that every lens is better on it, the DA*300 noticeably, or maybe that’s in my head. The 20-40 and KP is a killer combo.
05-21-2022, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did find that with 18-135 KP is excellent. Among manual lenses I used it only with Carl Zeiss 28mm F 2.0. See sample attached. I do have A f3.5 35-105mm, A f1.4 50mm, and K 3.5 28 but never tried it with KP. Thanks for pointing it out. Will try all of them.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The predecessors of the KP: Samsung GX-10, Pentax K-7 and K-3 Mark II never made it easy to focus with my manual lenses, so I stopped using them and went for AF. But the KP makes it so easy to focus with the OVF which so much more clear than the other camera's I mentioned. Is there anyone out there that has the same experience?
Ever since I bought my film *ist I've been using the 'green hexagon' focus confirmation indicator, in conjunction with catch-in-focus where appropriate, and never experienced any problems focussing my manual lenses.
The KP is doubtless a fine camera and I thoroughly enjoy using mine, despite having a K-3iii, but I don't find it any easier to manually focus through the optical viewfinder with than any of my earlier DSLRs!
05-21-2022, 11:17 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For whatever reason, and I struggle to say exactly why, I've just been blown away by the KP.

I had avoided getting one for the longest time, because the form factor was a bit different, the grips smaller than normal (even with the large), and, well, it just looked a bit different so I was worried if I'd adapt to it easily. Not being able to pick one up locally and feel it in hand acerbated those thoughts.

Well, the chance came along to buy one used from a reliable used equipment seller, so I decided to finally satisfy my curiosity. Before going on, I should note that my Pentax cameras over the years have included the K200D, the K01, the K30, K5iis, the K3ii, then the K1. I wouldn't go so far as to say I was good at using any of them, but I was pretty happy at the point in time that I bought each one.

As soon as the KP arrived, I liked the look and it felt fine in my hands with the largest grip. I was going on a tour of a historic place the next day. Without knowledge of the place or much of the camera, I decided on the DA 12-24mm. My results were the same as yours. Without having gone through the menus, setting anything up, just using defaults, my photos were some of the best I've ever taken with that particlur lens. I didn't have a lot of time on each shot. The conditions were varying light, interior and exterior, including dark available light only photos of, for example, an escape tunnel. The pics were usable to excellent (for my skill level anyway). I was very pleased.

Now, I'm kicking myself for not having bought a KP brand new during the closeouts. I'm hoping that Pentax follows up with a KP replacement. Maybe a K70/KP replacement could become their next "consumer" camera, along with the K3iii in the ASPC line? Well, a man can dream.
05-22-2022, 12:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price of the KP used is bordering on crazy. There's currently one on eBay at $1001AUD which started at $200. It's probably the only camera which has proven to be a true investment 😁.

05-22-2022, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
SFX

The KP is a great camera. I've decided to take it everywhere with me. Light combinations with the SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 or the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL (Limited lenses in my opinion, but in a solid plastic fantastic housing). I confirm the ease of working with manual AF lenses (on the KP).
05-23-2022, 12:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
The price of the KP used is bordering on crazy. There's currently one on eBay at $1001AUD which started at $200. It's probably the only camera which has proven to be a true investment ��.
Yes, I think some people were surprised that Pentax canceled such a capable camera relatively soon after release. That and it is a really fine camera. Maybe the OVF isn't as refined as the K3iii, but it certainly is one of the more capable image producing cameras that Pentax has built. I'd pick up another at the drop of a hat.

Another reason for higher prices is that I suspect anyone who owns one and uses simply doesn't plan on getting rid of it. Shortage of supply; plus demand; equals rising prices.
05-24-2022, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm another delighted KP owner. I've been shooting Pentax since Spotmatic days. When I retired, I decided to update my kit ( ist-D and a couple of kit lenses) primarily because I could start to see a bit of softness with 8X10s and larger; what a difference. Thanks to this site, I found which lenses were sharper and went with a DA 16-85, F50 1.7, DA* 60-250, and a DFA100 2.8 macro. I've fallen in love with the TAV setting and use it for most of my shooting.
05-26-2022, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been getting such outstanding results from the KP, I continue to be delighted after several years of ownership. Even with images right out of the camera, and with numerous lenses! I also soon recognized that many of my lenses having AF operating via the old screw-driven technology were nailing focus with better speed, and with dead-on accuracy without hunting, compared to having these same lenses on my other camera bodies- an unexpected and very welcome surprise! The KP provides amazingly powerful photographic capability in such a well built yet manageable compact form for portability. Even though having an excellent build quality, and a wealth of very useful features, these come without imposing significant weight/size penalties. A most remarkable design!
05-26-2022, 10:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been a KP user since August 2017. Like other posters, my first use of it was only a couple of days after I got it, at a family event with the FA 50 1.4 that came with it (second hand). I was very pleasantly surprised by the combo.

I'm interested in the comments about the 18-135 on it. I've tended to shy away from that lens a lot because I found it was fairly poor on edge sharpness and aberrations when I was using it originally with the K5 that I bought with it in 2011. I've been thinking lately I should give it another go and perhaps find out its best parameters. For example, the 55-300 ED and ED WR were sharpest at f/11, particularly at the 300 end where mine spent most of their lives. The PLM I have now is just as happy at f/8.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on how to make this lens sing? I bought it because of the sheer flexibility of it from wide to decently telephoto.
05-30-2022, 04:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Lots of people love the KP but I wasn't aware that it's viewfinder was any different from previous APS-C Pentax DSLRs. I think the VF of the new K-3 III is the only one that's significantly different as it magnifies the image more.
05-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

... Is there anyone out there that has the same experience?
yes many have/have had the very same experience.

Added: I started a thread some time ago on this same observation under the title "KP look and feel" (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/203-pentax-kp/410870-kp-look-feel.html) . You are correct.

Last edited by jgnfld; 05-30-2022 at 06:24 PM.
05-31-2022, 09:51 AM   #15
Forum Member

Still my favourite and I have or have had K10, K20, K5, K3, K1, K-01, K100D. It's not perfect but what is.

I still own K-01, K3, K1 and KP and the KP is what I use the most.