Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
Did you work out the remote trigger issue?

I have had similar issues with remote shutters on each of my KP's. I don't think mine were lint-related.
I fixed one input issue by specifying "CABLE RELEASE" rather than "AUTO" - that's under the Menu, Wrench #3, and 5th item down (External Input Device Options).

Infrequently I have contact problems that, I think, are with the cable itself rather than the port. Jiggling it around or repositioning the cable helps sometimes... but man that's a burden when shooting vertically on an L-bracket.
The only way my triggers will respond when they lock out is by blowing into port. So, maybe a bit of debris could be the problem, but I will try your suggestion and assign cable release.
Thanks.

07-10-2022, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
I have been experiencing remote trigger issue with my KP, and the autofocus is a bit wonky sometimes (many times).

1. My remote trigger will refuse to fire, but if I unplug the trigger and blow gently into trigger socket then plug back in, the trigger seems to function.
2. Autofocus claims it's in focus, I fire the shot and my image looks like I took it from a severely rocky boat. This is with my camera mounted firmly to a tripod in my makeshift studio. No vibration of any kind.

The only solution to keep the camera going now is to blow into trigger hole when remote stops functioning. For AF I found if I remove the lens a few times and remount it, eventually the AF begins to work again. being that I am not an electronic engineer, I have NO desire to start tinkering with this camera. My only option is a tech service, but i am concerned that the cost to repair will exceed the value of this camera.

I think it is time for me to move on.
It happened to my KP after two (and something) years that it needed the AF system calibration. Since that time it works smoothly.
07-10-2022, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
The next time I have an issue I will save a few and post them.

---------- Post added 07-10-2022 at 05:02 AM ----------

Well, it's not simple un-sharpness. but thanks for the reply, and I never asked any questions Yes, it has nothing to do with SR. This is not a snarky response by any means, I am simply telling you I know this is not the problem. This issue just started to occur, I never had issues in the past. I understand my camera completely. I appreciate the responses; I am not after anything.

This thread was a heads-up post on a KP issue that I experienced. The camera needs serviced, after two years of general use, that's the bottom line. I (was) am sharing information on my KP performance, nothing more.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in here. I appreciate all of your suggestions and most of you in this community are great folks willing to reach out and help. This is why I love this community,
After 2-1/2 years of using a KP, I have never had the AF problem you describe, although I will watch for it, so I’m not yet convinced that it is a general problem. I agree that you should send it in for servicing, and see what happens next.
07-10-2022, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried the Pentax app for remote shooting?(image sync)
Does the cable remote active AF and is this what's triggering the AF issues?
If you have a wr zoom lense, you might try mounting it fully extended and with the remote port open, quickly retract the lense. This pump of air may blow the port clear from the inside.

07-10-2022, 09:39 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
Have you tried the Pentax app for remote shooting?(image sync)
Does the cable remote active AF and is this what's triggering the AF issues?
If you have a wr zoom lense, you might try mounting it fully extended and with the remote port open, quickly retract the lense. This pump of air may blow the port clear from the inside.
Yes, the cable will activate the focus. This was my first concern about the remote port causing my camera AF issues.
I'm just going to send it to a tech and hope for the best. Thanks for the input.
07-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a kp but the rocky boat you describe sounds like you trigger finger is pushing down on the canera body when you depress the button. This has pagues electronic shutter buttons since about 1999 was the first time I had issues with it and that would also explain the lense trying to refocus when the shutter button is depressed try a remote cable and see if you still have the problems.
07-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried a reset back to factory settings followed by an upgrade to the latest KP firmware v1.31? Updates usually have the comment - "Improved stability for general performance".
Costs nothing to try and who knows, you may have some success with the auto focus issue.

07-12-2022, 11:44 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
I don't have a kp but the rocky boat you describe sounds like you trigger finger is pushing down on the canera body when you depress the button. This has pagues electronic shutter buttons since about 1999 was the first time I had issues with it and that would also explain the lense trying to refocus when the shutter button is depressed try a remote cable and see if you still have the problems.
Check thread: I lthink he is talking about this prob occuring when using a shutter release cable (and even on a tripod).