Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #1

KP ISSUES! (The camera is 2 years old)

I have been experiencing remote trigger issue with my KP, and the autofocus is a bit wonky sometimes (many times).

1. My remote trigger will refuse to fire, but if I unplug the trigger and blow gently into trigger socket then plug back in, the trigger seems to function.
2. Autofocus claims it's in focus, I fire the shot and my image looks like I took it from a severely rocky boat. This is with my camera mounted firmly to a tripod in my makeshift studio. No vibration of any kind.

The only solution to keep the camera going now is to blow into trigger hole when remote stops functioning. For AF I found if I remove the lens a few times and remount it, eventually the AF begins to work again. being that I am not an electronic engineer, I have NO desire to start tinkering with this camera. My only option is a tech service, but i am concerned that the cost to repair will exceed the value of this camera.

I think it is time for me to move on.

07-09-2022, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What lens/es are you having the autofocus issue on? Clean the contacts (on lens and camera) will for sure be the first advice anyone should give, and hopefully that will solve that.

For the remote issue, is there any chance there's some kind of foreign debris in the socket? Like a piece of lint or something? That's one possibility. Trying with another remote could be another thing to try, sometimes wires wear out and it could just be the movement that makes it work, with the blowing only a placebo.
07-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #3

Sounds like there is some lint or other gunk in the remote socket. Did you try blowing it out with your lens blower? Or a tiny bit of contact cleaner on the tip of the plug?

Are you using mirror lockup or turning off image stabilization when using the tripod?
07-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
What lens/es are you having the autofocus issue on? Clean the contacts (on lens and camera) will for sure be the first advice anyone should give, and hopefully that will solve that.

For the remote issue, is there any chance there's some kind of foreign debris in the socket? Like a piece of lint or something? That's one possibility. Trying with another remote could be another thing to try, sometimes wires wear out and it could just be the movement that makes it work, with the blowing only a placebo.
It doesn't matter what AF lens I put on the camera; the issue will crop up regardless. My FA had issues my Sigma had issues.

I have used other remotes, the issue remains. Bottom line is the camera needs serviced.

---------- Post added 07-09-2022 at 11:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like there is some lint or other gunk in the remote socket. Did you try blowing it out with your lens blower? Or a tiny bit of contact cleaner on the tip of the plug?

Are you using mirror lockup or turning off image stabilization when using the tripod?
the camera is set as need be. Image stabilization remains on unless I shoot with filters for long exposure, no mirror lock up. The camera is simply having issues. I wish it were a simple fix. I have tried everything I could think of to correct these problems. The camera needs a professional service tech.

07-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
Image stabilization remains on unless I shoot with filters for long exposure
SR should be turned off for tripod work. It can start to create vibrations, "working against itself" as people sometimes describe it. I've definitely seen it happen firsthand, and turning SR off stopped it immediately.

I was asking what lens mostly to figure out whether it was a screwdrive or SDM or DC or PLM or what have you, which may or may not be relevant and help someone diagnose your problems.

Best of luck, hope you can get it figured out, or if it does need service I hope it's not too costly or time consuming.
07-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
SR should be turned off for tripod work. It can start to create vibrations, "working against itself" as people sometimes describe it. I've definitely seen it happen firsthand, and turning SR off stopped it immediately.

I was asking what lens mostly to figure out whether it was a screwdrive or SDM or DC or PLM or what have you, which may or may not be relevant and help someone diagnose your problems.

Best of luck, hope you can get it figured out, or if it does need service I hope it's not too costly or time consuming.
Yes, on long exposure it may try to correct for itself, but this issue exceeds that kind of problem, plus anything under 10 or even 20 seconds should not create an issue. This is a severe out of focus issue, it appears that a chip may being going wonky. The images look like I was running with the camera and shooting in long exposure, that's how bad it is. It's not just a soft image.

The reason I know this is a camera issue is the problems just started to crop up. I had zero issue with this camera over the past 2 years. Not so much anymore.
07-09-2022, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #7

The screws on the lens mount on the camera may have loosened. And cleaning the AF sensor in the mirrorbox may not help but probably won't hurt.

07-09-2022, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

For AF I found if I remove the lens a few times and remount it, eventually the AF begins to work again.
Well this certainly points you in the direction of a bad contact between lens and camera. By mounting and dismounting you probably clean the contact a little bit, just enough to work for a short time. This sometimes happens and I had it once with my K-7, a thorough cleaning of the contacts and the problem was solved. As for the remote control I never use it, but with the KP you could try to fire the shutter by the use of a smart phone and a program called image sync I believe. It could be that the remote control that seems not to work as it should is causing the problems.

Autofocus claims it's in focus, I fire the shot and my image looks like I took it from a severely rocky boat. This is with my camera mounted firmly to a tripod in my makeshift studio. No vibration of any kind.
And as said before by Wadge22, when using a tripod turn the SR off. It can cause problems if you don't and it is one of the problems that Ricoh warns you for in their manual.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-10-2022 at 02:13 AM. Reason: two typo's this time (sigh)
07-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Well this certainly points you in the direction of a bad contact between lens and camera. By mounting and dismounting you probably clean the contact a little bit, just enough to work for a short time. This sometimes happens and I had it once with my K-7, a thorough cleaning of the contacts and the problem was solved. As for the remote control I never use it, but with the KP you could try to fire the shutter by the use of a smart phone and a program called image sync I believe. It could be that the remote control that seems not work as it should is causing the problems.

And as said before by Wadge22, when using a tripod turn the SR off. It can cause problems if you don't and it is one the problems that Ricoh warns you for in their manual.

Hope this helps.
It has nothing to do with the SR, but thanks for the input. The SR would possibly give a soft image due to constant correction; this goes way beyond such an issue. This is a massive out of focus image. if you look at the images I post of my camera collection, you will see nothing, but studio shot images up to 20 second exposures. The lens will not correct its focus, because it is in a controlled environment with nothing to correct against. Just because you are mounted on a tripod does not indicated SR should be shut off. That is an issue of time and condition. I completely understand the concept, and I can assure you the issues I am now experiencing have nothing to do with SR. Thank you for the input, it truly is appreciated.

Example:
Sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
ƒ/14,.0 63.0 mm, 8 seconds, iso 400

ƒ/11.0, 53.0 mm, 25 seconds, iso 400

07-09-2022, 09:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has nothing to do with the SR, but thanks for the input. The SR would possibly give a soft image due to constant correction; this goes way beyond such an issue. This is a massive out of focus image. if you look at the images I post of my camera collection, you will see nothing, but studio shot images up to 20 second exposures. The lens will not correct its focus, because it is in a controlled environment with nothing to correct against. Just because you are mounted on a tripod does not indicated SR should be shut off. That is an issue of time and condition. I completely understand the concept, and I can assure you the issues I am now experiencing have nothing to do with SR. Thank you for the input, it truly is appreciated.

Example:
ƒ/14,.0 63.0 mm, 8 seconds, iso 400

ƒ/11.0, 53.0 mm, 25 seconds, iso 400
How about some samples of these "bad focus" pics? Also, have you tried mirror lock-up? That ball joint connection looks like it could well respond to shutter impact, compared to having the camera sitting on a quick release plate.
07-10-2022, 12:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have been experiencing remote trigger issue with my KP, and the autofocus is a bit wonky sometimes (many times).

1. My remote trigger will refuse to fire, but if I unplug the trigger and blow gently into trigger socket then plug back in, the trigger seems to function.
2. Autofocus claims it's in focus, I fire the shot and my image looks like I took it from a severely rocky boat. This is with my camera mounted firmly to a tripod in my makeshift studio. No vibration of any kind.

The only solution to keep the camera going now is to blow into trigger hole when remote stops functioning. For AF I found if I remove the lens a few times and remount it, eventually the AF begins to work again. being that I am not an electronic engineer, I have NO desire to start tinkering with this camera. My only option is a tech service, but i am concerned that the cost to repair will exceed the value of this camera.

I think it is time for me to move on.
On my K1 fixation on the tripod resulted in an af offset. Very reproducible. The screw if fixed tight would put the thread towards the af sensor inside the body. So I could fine tune on tripod and after taking the camera off the tripod everything was off. I got it fixed and now I am careful with screwing down Pentax gear.
Check cross section cuts of Pentax cameras and you see what I mean.

Obviously you should have fine tuned AF in the beginning for best focus.
07-10-2022, 01:41 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It has nothing to do with the SR, but thanks for the input. The SR would possibly give a soft image due to constant correction; this goes way beyond such an issue.
So if the manual says "turn off SR when on tripod" without specifying "only for long shutter speeds", when the camera itself turns off SR if you use a 2 or 12-second timer and when everyone else seems to suggest PEBKAC is the likely source of unsharpness, you response is "it has nothing to do with SR"? Why ask a question you seem to already have made up your mind about? Get the damned thing serviced by a professional if you're not willing to deal with suggestions provided. What is it you are after?
07-10-2022, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #13

I am wondering what exactly the purpose of this thread is.

It seems that OP knows/has decided that the camera has to be serviced and all suggestions seem to be useless therefore.
07-10-2022, 04:56 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
How about some samples of these "bad focus" pics? Also, have you tried mirror lock-up? That ball joint connection looks like it could well respond to shutter impact, compared to having the camera sitting on a quick release plate.
The next time I have an issue I will save a few and post them.

---------- Post added 07-10-2022 at 05:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So if the manual says "turn off SR when on tripod" without specifying "only for long shutter speeds", when the camera itself turns off SR if you use a 2 or 12-second timer and when everyone else seems to suggest PEBKAC is the likely source of unsharpness, you response is "it has nothing to do with SR"? Why ask a question you seem to already have made up your mind about? Get the damned thing serviced by a professional if you're not willing to deal with suggestions provided. What is it you are after?
Well, it's not simple un-sharpness. but thanks for the reply, and I never asked any questions Yes, it has nothing to do with SR. This is not a snarky response by any means, I am simply telling you I know this is not the problem. This issue just started to occur, I never had issues in the past. I understand my camera completely. I appreciate the responses; I am not after anything.

This thread was a heads-up post on a KP issue that I experienced. The camera needs serviced, after two years of general use, that's the bottom line. I (was) am sharing information on my KP performance, nothing more.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in here. I appreciate all of your suggestions and most of you in this community are great folks willing to reach out and help. This is why I love this community,

Last edited by spiralcity; 07-10-2022 at 05:42 AM.
07-10-2022, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The next time I have an issue I will save a few and post them.

---------- Post added 07-10-2022 at 05:02 AM ----------

Well, it's not simple un-sharpness. but thanks for the reply, and I never asked any questions Yes, it has nothing to do with SR. This is not a snarky response by any means, I am simply telling you I know this is not the problem. This issue just started to occur, I never had issues in the past. I understand my camera completely. I appreciate the responses; I am not after anything.

This thread was a heads-up post on a KP issue that I experienced. The camera needs serviced, after two years of general use, that's the bottom line. I (was) am sharing information on my KP performance, nothing more.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in here. I appreciate all of your suggestions and most of you in this community are great folks willing to reach out and help. This is why I love this community,
Did you work out the remote trigger issue?

I have had similar issues with remote shutters on each of my KP's. I don't think mine were lint-related.
I fixed one input issue by specifying "CABLE RELEASE" rather than "AUTO" - that's under the Menu, Wrench #3, and 5th item down (External Input Device Options).

Infrequently I have contact problems that, I think, are with the cable itself rather than the port. Jiggling it around or repositioning the cable helps sometimes... but man that's a burden when shooting vertically on an L-bracket.