Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2022, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
I think early on in the pandemic they were both in discount AND some stores were clearing out stock so you would get them for crazy low prices.
Can't buy all the things of course but really missed out on a good deal not getting one
I think I paid $750 for mine in June of 2020. Not a super deal, but I used my “essential worker” bonus from my employer to buy it, so it worked out. I’m sorry you missed out.

08-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
So in mid July I bought the last new KP Jessops had in stock. And I love it.
No technical review or comparison from me here there is enough of that jargon stuff on this forum which I found really useful and confusing before buying it.

I bought the silver one because it was the only new one I could find. I had a K-70 and moved to a KP.

So here is my comparison

K-70 KP

It's a Pentax It's a Pentax
Black Silver
has an LCD screen has an LCD screen which is a little different
has traditional knobs & buttons has traditional knobs & buttons but a few more

etc etc etc

So if you ask which is better I don't know. All I know is I loved my ME Super in my youth and it was a quirky camera and the KP reminds me of it so much in looks and quirkiness I think it has more of the old Pentax philosophy. I owned the K-70 for 3 and a bit years had one issue the dreaded Aperture block. It was a brilliant camera and had more than I would ever use or even understand how to use and the KP has even more stuff I'll never use however it just makes me smile more. So the KP club has a new member if they will have me that is
Welcome to the KP club! You were indeed very fortunate to find a new left-over KP. And a silver one, yet! You have a jewel of a camera, and with a set of wonderful controls and features. I too bought a new ME Super as my first Pentax camera, and used that model exclusively for some 6 years, then continued with it as my compact alternative after getting a new Pentax SF-1n as my first AF camera. Left-over new KP stock was selling out very quickly after the new K-3 III came out, and the price actually went up! I have never seen that before with left-over stock of discontinued Pentax DSLR cameras. This is a very unique and very advanced upper-level model! Glad you were able to get one.

If you enjoy sometimes shooting time-saving highest-quality JPEG images right out of the camera, the KP's processor is exceptionally good! Just be sure to go into the Custom Image menus (accessed via the info button) to set up "Fine Sharpening" especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. This will provide best fine detail in your images. You are apparently an experienced photographer, so most likely you avoid setting your mode dial to the green "auto" mode, using the "P" mode instead when desiring fully automated exposure by the camera. As you probably know, the "auto" mode disables most controls and adjustments, including access to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, where the user can instantly intercede, making changes to shutter speed or aperture when the camera is set to the "P" mode.

As to the articulating screens, I have the K-70 style on my little K-S2. In comparing this style to that of the KP and K-1, each has its own advantages. The K-S2 actually has a design feature with it for doing selfies! The K-1 and KP's type being the pull-out design instead of swing-out, is better when needing to not have the camera expand its size laterally.

No doubt you're having a fine vacation in Italy! What a way to put your new KP to use! Please let us know of your experience there.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-20-2022 at 09:38 PM.
08-17-2022, 04:52 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done, Lucklu, I remember that with typical Pentaxian angst it was criticised widely at launch, but as time has gone on, I think it will correctly be regarded as a wonderful camera!

Last edited by clackers; 08-17-2022 at 05:05 PM.
08-17-2022, 04:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
So in mid July I bought the last new KP Jessops had in stock. And I love it.
No technical review or comparison from me here there is enough of that jargon stuff on this forum which I found really useful and confusing before buying it.

I bought the silver one because it was the only new one I could find. I had a K-70 and moved to a KP.

So here is my comparison

K-70 KP

It's a Pentax It's a Pentax
Black Silver
has an LCD screen has an LCD screen which is a little different
has traditional knobs & buttons has traditional knobs & buttons but a few more

etc etc etc

So if you ask which is better I don't know. All I know is I loved my ME Super in my youth and it was a quirky camera and the KP reminds me of it so much in looks and quirkiness I think it has more of the old Pentax philosophy. I owned the K-70 for 3 and a bit years had one issue the dreaded Aperture block. It was a brilliant camera and had more than I would ever use or even understand how to use and the KP has even more stuff I'll never use however it just makes me smile more. So the KP club has a new member if they will have me that is
I got a new KP when the price went down to $700 on Back Friday 2018 and have never regretted it.

08-29-2022, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well done, Lucklu, I remember that with typical Pentaxian angst it was criticised widely at launch, but as time has gone on, I think it will correctly be regarded as a wonderful camera!
I think the angst for the KP was mainly from angry K-3 owners that they didn't get their k-3III yet. Most people I've seen adore the camera. And it seemed to be able to get people from other brands as well.

I actually think this review largely helped in changing perception of the camera for a lot of people. It was certainly the reason I bought one new in 2018.

08-29-2022, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #21
SFX

The Pentax community was unfortunately (too) critical, partly because "the specs" were supposedly not good enough. And perhaps linked to the lack of a new K3. The very compact, sturdy and retro KP (and the K-01) are my favorite bodies. I hope Ricoh realizes that a KP "mark II" does indeed make a body without a prism unnecessary. A bright prism viewfinder remains great! And the combination with a compact 18-50 is also great!
08-29-2022, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #22
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote

I actually think this review largely helped in changing perception of the camera for a lot of people. It was certainly the reason I bought one new in 2018
That review as well as the Snappiness one made up my mind - I bought one December 2021.