Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2022, 02:47 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well I succumbed to the temptation and bought the KP.... what have I done!

So in mid July I bought the last new KP Jessops had in stock. And I love it.
No technical review or comparison from me here there is enough of that jargon stuff on this forum which I found really useful and confusing before buying it.

I bought the silver one because it was the only new one I could find. I had a K-70 and moved to a KP.

So here is my comparison

K-70 KP

It's a Pentax It's a Pentax
Black Silver
has an LCD screen has an LCD screen which is a little different
has traditional knobs & buttons has traditional knobs & buttons but a few more

etc etc etc

So if you ask which is better I don't know. All I know is I loved my ME Super in my youth and it was a quirky camera and the KP reminds me of it so much in looks and quirkiness I think it has more of the old Pentax philosophy. I owned the K-70 for 3 and a bit years had one issue the dreaded Aperture block. It was a brilliant camera and had more than I would ever use or even understand how to use and the KP has even more stuff I'll never use however it just makes me smile more. So the KP club has a new member if they will have me that is

08-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
No technical review or comparison from me here there is enough of that jargon stuff on this forum which I found really useful and confusing before buying it.

I bought the silver one because it was the only new one I could find. I had a K-70 and moved to a KP.

So here is my comparison

K-70 KP

Black Silver

etc etc etc

So if you ask which is better I don't know. All I know is I loved my ME Super in my youth and it was a quirky camera and the KP reminds me of it so much in looks and quirkiness I think it has more of the old Pentax philosophy. I owned the K-70 for 3 and a bit years had one issue the dreaded Aperture block. It was a brilliant camera and had more than I would ever use or even understand how to use and the KP has even more stuff I'll never use however it just makes me smile more. So the KP club has a new member if they will have me that is

congratulations!

convert your K-70 to a manual-lens-only body and away you go!
08-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I moved (upgraded?) from a K-70 to a KP … the only thing I (occasionally) miss from the K-70 is the fully articulated screen.
I found, after a year or more of using the biggest of the three grips, that the smallest grip actually suits me better … well worth trying the different sizes if you have the opportunity.
If you haven't updated to the latest firmware it's well worth the effort. Seems like a lot of the development from the K-3iii got transferred to the KP in that (final?) update … certainly the a/f tracking seemed to noticeably improve!
Only found out today that the KP will do video via wifi … the K-70 won't!
Enjoy
08-08-2022, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KP it's a great camera and most underrated modern pentax camera .

08-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the club!! My son has a K70 so I have handled both, and can say that I like the KP for handling, aesthetics, build quality, and advanced features. I think the KP is the best consumer grade digital camera around. You can 't go wrong with it, and I'm sure you will be pleased. It took mea few months to get it customized, but now it is set up and extremely versatile. Congratulations on your camera, and have fun!
08-09-2022, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I think the KP is the best consumer grade digital camera around
You underestimate/underrate this camera. It is better than that. It leans to the professional, just like its predecessor the K-3 Mark II, with some impovements like SRII which was later incorporated in that other flagship, the K-1 II. Read the introduction from long time ago https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/ricoh-unveils-ultra-compact-pentax-kp/
I chose the KP over a new K-3 Mark III. So I bought it from Ricoh's webshop when they cleared the KP stock. The KP is a "gem".

Congratulations! You are one of the lucky ones!
I found out that some of my old glass perform better on the KP and the 18-135 really shines on this camera. I bought that 18-135 for my Samsung GX-10, used it on the K-7 but never felt happy with it to the K-3 II which worked very pleasant, but I was amazed what that lens does when mounted on the KP. So again, congratulations!
08-09-2022, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #7
SFX

Congratulations!
The KP is my most favorite camera. The body is retro and compact. Also reminds me of my old Super A (Program A) European Camera of the year 1983. Have fun with it!

08-09-2022, 10:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I was fortunate to obtain a relatively cheap Pentax refurbished black KP several years ago, and I like it so much that I exchanged my K-70 for another KP, a silver one, during the end-of-line bargain period.

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I moved (upgraded?) from a K-70 to a KP … the only thing I (occasionally) miss from the K-70 is the fully articulated screen.
I found, after a year or more of using the biggest of the three grips, that the smallest grip actually suits me better … well worth trying the different sizes if you have the opportunity.
Enjoy

I like the tilt screen but I agree - the articulated screen was occasionally more useful, e.g. when the camera is used in portrait orientation. The grips are also useful and it's good to have the choice - I have the medium grip on one camera for use with the DA Limited primes, and the large grip on the other for the compact DA zooms - the 18-135 or 55-300 PLM.

Philip
08-10-2022, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
congratulations!

convert your K-70 to a manual-lens-only body and away you go!
Thanks Pepperberry, I did have the K-70 repaired however I was ot allowed to keep it by the other half
08-10-2022, 12:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your reassurances

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If you haven't updated to the latest firmware it's well worth the effort. Seems like a lot of the development from the K-3iii got transferred to the KP in that (final?) update … certainly the a/f tracking seemed to noticeably improve!
Only found out today that the KP will do video via wifi … the K-70 won't!
Enjoy
I never used the screen much not even closed on Live view however I did like the fact that on the K-70 was able to reverse to protect it.

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
KP it's a great camera and most underrated modern pentax camera
I think the K-70 is also underrated to call it entry level is doing it a disservice.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Congratulations! You are one of the lucky ones!
I found out that some of my old glass perform better on the KP and the 18-135 really shines on this camera. I bought that 18-135 for my Samsung GX-10, used it on the K-7 but never felt happy with it to the K-3 II which worked very pleasant, but I was amazed what that lens does when mounted on the KP. So again, congratulations!
Well I do have that lens and for some reason I do use it more on the KP it feels good on it and yes I think it does perform better. I also have a Sigma 17-70 hsm which I think performs better on the K-70 but I think the reason for that is the metering being slightly different. With the sigma the pictures seem over exposed and highlights are blown out but It is early days and no doubt I will be able to customise a setting for it.....eventually.

I'm off to Italy for 2 weeks flying out on Saturday will spend the next couple of days trying to figure out which lenses to take. I want to take all of them but going to limit myself to 2 or 3. Probably from this shortlist. the 55-300 PLM the 18-135 and the 12-24. I'm sure my 40xs will find it's way there too, but I prefer my 35mm F2 AL.....or maybe I'll end up taking 4 or 5 along with the 1.4x converter
08-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure my 40xs will find it's way there too, but I prefer my 35mm F2 AL.....
Despite having a number of other lenses in that range, including the 31Ltd, the 35mm f/2 is my favorite on the KP and I even upgraded it to the HD version. What do you use the 1.4x with/for?
08-10-2022, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a used KP from a PF forum member, and love it. One of the things that impressed me most about it is how accurate the jpeg color rendering is. Once you get acclimated to it, check out some of its advanced features. I think you'll be glad you did.
08-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
What do you use the 1.4x with/for?
I got it initially to compliment the 55-300plm and the Scottish countryside and wildlife but I have found myself using with the sigma 17-70 and the 18-135. Sometimes I just stick it in my pocket and use it with whatever lens I have on the camera (not the XS as they are not compatible) it just gives some more flexibility
08-11-2022, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So here is my comparison

K-70 KP

Black Silver

etc etc etc

If that ain't the greatest camera review/comparison I ever read then I don't know

I regret not getting one when it was on a ridiculous sale a while ago. Enjoy your camera and share the results with us
08-12-2022, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote

I regret not getting one when it was on a ridiculous sale a while ago.
I think early on in the pandemic they were both in discount AND some stores were clearing out stock so you would get them for crazy low prices.
Can't buy all the things of course but really missed out on a good deal not getting one