Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Update :-
A couple more hours testing and checking, mostly using Wi-fi Commander, has shown that the problem is the camera overheating … even more so with the AC Adaptor in use than when just running on batteries
Wi-Fi Commander gives a wider range of camera feedback than ImageSync so it's possible to recognise the camera is getting hot from the on-screen message.
So it would seem trying to use my KP for this kind of work at this time of year may be a non-starter
I've reverted to a totally reliable long wire cable release, but this does mean I have to be in line-of-sight with my subject to know when to press the button, a situation I was wanting to avoid.
Glad you worked it out ... and yes, WiFi Commander rocks!

08-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Update :-
A couple more hours testing and checking, mostly using Wi-fi Commander, has shown that the problem is the camera overheating … even more so with the AC Adaptor in use than when just running on batteries
Wi-Fi Commander gives a wider range of camera feedback than ImageSync so it's possible to recognise the camera is getting hot from the on-screen message.
So it would seem trying to use my KP for this kind of work at this time of year may be a non-starter
I've reverted to a totally reliable long wire cable release, but this does mean I have to be in line-of-sight with my subject to know when to press the button, a situation I was wanting to avoid.
There are wireless releases that plug into the cable release.
08-14-2022, 01:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are wireless releases that plug into the cable release.
Yes, but the nature of my shy subjects make it easier if I'm hiding behind a bush or whatever, hoping to monitor the scene on my 'phone.
If I'm out in open view I might as well use the K-5 and the i/r remote control!
I've bought a DSLR with wifi capability … the handbook gives an Operating Environment of -10 to 40 degrees C (14 to 104F), ambient yesterday was about 30C, so maybe the camera's out of spec.
08-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about a small USB powered fan (a quiet one) blowing across the back of the camera with the screen tilted up out of the way? Might just keep temp down enough.

08-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
How about a small USB powered fan (a quiet one) blowing across the back of the camera with the screen tilted up out of the way? Might just keep temp down enough.
That’s how a number of vloggers use older Sony cameras. In 4k a many overheat quickly otherwise.