Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #1

Transition from Pentax K100D Super to Pentax KP

Hi,
after 15 happy years with the K100D Super I bought a used KP now and this seems to be a very good camera.
But as a happy owner of a collection of legacy K lenses I'm still struggling to get the exact exposure.

My lenses are K 1:2.8/24, K1:3.5/35, M 1:1,7/ 50, K 1:1.8/55, K 1:2.8/105, M 1:4.0/50 Macro, A Macro 1:4/200 ED.

The K100D Super has a basic live view function, but with a histogram, perfect for manual adjustment of time and aperture.
The KP has a very advanced live view, but I miss the histogram, possibly hidden anywhere in the menu.
Any idea how I can get the histogram in M-mode before shooting?
Another issue is the connection of the camera with a PC or my Ipad. No problem with the K100D, but with the KP this does not work.
Set to "MSC" USB-mode, I tried 4 different USB B cables and two different notebooks: the camera looks in some way but is not detected by PC or iPad. I could switch to SD-cards, strongly recommended anywhere here, but I'd like to know, if this is a possible hardware fault or some kind of wrong configuration.

Thank you!
Guenter

10-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luebeck Quote
Hi,
after 15 happy years with the K100D Super I bought a used KP now and this seems to be a very good camera.
But as a happy owner of a collection of legacy K lenses I'm still struggling to get the exact exposure.

My lenses are K 1:2.8/24, K1:3.5/35, M 1:1,7/ 50, K 1:1.8/55, K 1:2.8/105, M 1:4.0/50 Macro, A Macro 1:4/200 ED.

The K100D Super has a basic live view function, but with a histogram, perfect for manual adjustment of time and aperture.
The KP has a very advanced live view, but I miss the histogram, possibly hidden anywhere in the menu.
Any idea how I can get the histogram in M-mode before shooting?
Another issue is the connection of the camera with a PC or my Ipad. No problem with the K100D, but with the KP this does not work.
Set to "MSC" USB-mode, I tried 4 different USB B cables and two different notebooks: the camera looks in some way but is not detected by PC or iPad. I could switch to SD-cards, strongly recommended anywhere here, but I'd like to know, if this is a possible hardware fault or some kind of wrong configuration.

Thank you!
Guenter
Go to screen 5 of the Camera Menu, click Live View, check the Histogram box.
10-08-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest using the wireless connectivity as another option.
10-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Go to screen 5 of the Camera Menu, click Live View, check the Histogram box.
Unluckily histogram is not clickable here

---------- Post added 10-08-22 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I suggest using the wireless connectivity as another option.
Yes, that‘s possible, but requires about 20s per ***jpeg.

---------- Post added 10-08-22 at 12:03 PM ----------/

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (1st generation)  Photo 

Last edited by luebeck; 10-08-2022 at 12:08 PM.
10-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You must have something set which interferes I just checked in Auto, M and P modes and it is always available. Check your set up. It works fine on my KPso it should on yours.
10-08-2022, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Unluckily histogram is not clickable here

---------- Post added 10-08-22 at 12:03 PM ----------

Yes, that‘s possible, but requires about 20s per ***jpeg.

---------- Post added 10-08-22 at 12:03 PM ----------/
In screen 1 of the camera menu go to AF with live view and disable focus peaking. The reason that both histogram and highlight alert are greyed out is due to focus peaking being on. In the KP these two setting do not work together. In earlier camera's you could have focus peaking and histogram turned to on. After disabling focus peaking return to screen 5 and set the histogram view.
10-08-2022, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you!
Meanwhile I found a preview solution when customizing the buttons. Now the preview is very similar to that of my K100DS and I can work with that. My procedure is:
First press the fabulous green button to set the exposure suitable for present aperture. Then check the histogram with Fx2.
Great!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (1st generation)  Photo 
10-08-2022, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Set to "MSC" USB-mode, I tried 4 different USB B cables and two different notebooks: the camera looks in some way but is not detected by PC or iPad.
I guess you will not see the camera, but with the right cable and camera set to MSC you must see a new drive in the drive-tree, usually the last one. Procedure: start up PC, connect the SWITCHED OFF camera with the cable and only then switch on the camera, on the camera LCD you must now see a symbol representing the connection. Start file explorer and in the drive tree you should see the new drive which is your camera.

By the way: When using all those old K and M lenses make your camera fully manual and set the exposure and shutter values as you used to do with your MX. With A lens it is another story.
10-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #9

If the KP has MTP mode for USB settings you might try it on your PC provided its Win10 or 11. I'm not sure if the iPad supports MTP. If that does't work the USB port on the KP might be faulty. Test the cables on some other USB device to make sure they work.
10-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the KP has MTP mode for USB settings you might try it on your PC provided its Win10 or 11. I'm not sure if the iPad supports MTP. If that does't work the USB port on the KP might be faulty. Test the cables on some other USB device to make sure they work.
Yes, that I'll do and report then.

Just collected some experience with AutoFocus Fine Adjustment. Works with legacy lenses only with "Apply All". Probably because legacy K-Lenses do not have some kind of personality like modern e.g. DA-Lenses. So I made Fine Adjustment "Apply All" for my Pentax SMCs A Macro 1:4/200 ED. This adjustment of +5 luckily also fits my K 1:2.8/105 and probably the other less critical lenses also.
And an observation on "Preview" with histogram, mentioned above. That does not work with "M.UP" mirror up, multi exposure and "INT" intervall shooting.

Last edited by luebeck; 10-09-2022 at 03:57 AM.
10-09-2022, 02:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have tried everything, including suggestions here and have never been able to get my PC to recognise my KP.
10-09-2022, 04:20 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hi Terry, welcome to the club. Meanwhile I found the hidden SD card reader at the lower end of my PC and I‘ll adapt to swapping the SDs.
10-09-2022, 04:28 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that I'll do and report then.

Just collected some experience with AutoFocus Fine Adjustment. Works with legacy lenses only with "Apply All". Probably because legacy K-Lenses do not have some kind of personality like modern e.g. DA-Lenses. So I made Fine Adjustment "Apply All" for my Pentax SMCs A Macro 1:4/200 ED. This adjustment of +5 luckily also fits my K 1:2.8/105 and probably the other less critical lenses also.
And an observation on "Preview" with histogram, mentioned above. That does not work with "M.UP" mirror up, multi exposure and "INT" intervall shooting.
If you find some manual lenses need different adjustments, putting labels on dedicated lens caps that state the amount needed will allow you to go to that menu and change it quickly.
10-09-2022, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
A very good idea! Thank's a lot!
10-09-2022, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very good idea! Thank's a lot!
You’re welcome. And it’s not original to me. I stole it from someone else. I don’t even use the idea as I rarely use manual lenses except in liveview, where the af adjustments are not relevant.