Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anybody tried replacing their KP LCD screen?

I just cracked my flipping (no pun intended) LCD screen on my KP. I was sitting on my couch and as I lifted it up, the strap got caught on my other camera and dropped literally about two inches but landed right on the screen. So frustrated!

It appears that the screen would easily be removed except possibly for the cable that attaches it to the camera. Has anybody replaced the screen on this or similar camera?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 3  Photo 
11-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #2

I think getting the parts will be a bigger problem than the actual repair work. Ricoh will not sell parts except to their authorized repair center. There maybe third party compatible parts as there have been a few posts on other bodies using these parts . Try the forum search function.
11-01-2022, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’d be more interested in a retrofit for a KP screen on a K3 mark iii
It’d void the warranty for sure, but it’s def something I’d pay for! (and maybe even risk surgery on a new K3iii for)
11-01-2022, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
I’d be more interested in a retrofit for a KP screen on a K3 mark iii
It’d void the warranty for sure, but it’s def something I’d pay for! (and maybe even risk surgery on a new K3iii for)
If you're that keen on a flippy screen, why not just buy a used KP to use alongside the K3iii. It's an excellent camera, and it's what I did ( though I got the KP first, the K5iis and the K3iii came later).

11-02-2022, 03:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote
I just cracked my flipping (no pun intended) LCD screen on my KP. I was sitting on my couch and as I lifted it up, the strap got caught on my other camera and dropped literally about two inches but landed right on the screen. So frustrated!

It appears that the screen would easily be removed except possibly for the cable that attaches it to the camera. Has anybody replaced the screen on this or similar camera?
Might be best to make it the problem of your household contents insurance company.
11-02-2022, 05:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schnur07 Quote

When Adam was giving away a KP, I was suddenly interested for a few hours. I was sitting watching Squirrels out a back door; a cat - the cat who is sitting on my lap right now, in fact - jumped on my lap and knocked my KP a few feet to the carpeted Living Room floor, and the KP suddenly couldn’t focus. After a few hours I had a thought, and “hard booted” the camera - I took the battery out for a few minutes. When I replaced it, all was well; I suspect it had “its bell rung” - the firmware lost its place. The flash was broken mysteriously in another incident, but this is a new one on me.

If I were you, I would look for a replacement. They are a nice camera, but not very expensive now - maybe someone is unloading one. Another option is to purchase a K-70; if you purchase from a ‘high-volume’ seller, you will probably get a new production one with the newest solenoid and free from the “Dark Image Syndrome”; as Mark II has suggested, household insurance should cover the cost - it isn’t worth becoming upset about it in any case.
11-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by allanmh Quote
If you're that keen on a flippy screen, why not just buy a used KP to use alongside the K3iii. It's an excellent camera, and it's what I did ( though I got the KP first, the K5iis and the K3iii came later).
I do drive a KP, and it’s a great camera.
I’m putting off buying a K3iii until there’s a similar model with a flip screen (and the various current K3iii features, and maybe a 50-60mp APS-C sensor like we’re seeing in other brands lately)

11-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to think the cost of replacing that screen should not be anything like the cost of a replacement camera. I cannot imagine the job to be a big one for a qualified technician. If it were mine, I'd have it fixed. The KP is too good a camera. I have no idea where you live, but recently there was a name given for replacing a failed aperture control solenoid with the new revised part, of a man who has a good rep and is company-certified for Pentax DSLR repairs. I think it best to check around to get a repair quote.
12-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #9

i have the same problem... =(
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12  Photo 
12-16-2022, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #10

here in Europe, replacing the screen with a new one costs 160 euros including shipping costs. I live in Finland and the nearest Pentax repair shop is in Sweden
.. sorry... google translator =)