Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2022, 03:18 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax now selling wooden grips for the KP

As part of their J-Limited initiative, Pentax has today started taking orders for wooden grips for existing users if the KP.

https://ricohimagingstore.com/jlimited.html

This is actually the fact same shape as the grips that came with the original KP J-Limited.

The grips are available for 25,000 yen. It isn’t cheap, but these grips are made by the firm that makes steering wheels for the Lexus brand of fancy Toyotas. The finishing on these is kind of overkill, but that’s what J-Limited is all about.

It’s interesting that they are not using crowdfunding for this. I don’t know if they will be available overseas, so you might need to brave eBay to get hold of one.

The other interesting thing is that they are doing this for a camera that is no longer in production. It’s nice for KP owners that want to make their camera look different. Also the shape is not the same as any of the stock grips.

Last edited by JPT; 12-01-2022 at 05:24 AM.
12-01-2022, 05:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm quite happy with the small standard grip on my KP, having made what proved to be a mistake and tried using the larger of the three for about a year, so I'll not be expressing any interest in these, but it's good to know the KP hasn't been totally forgotten
12-01-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'm quite happy with the small standard grip on my KP, having made what proved to be a mistake and tried using the larger of the three for about a year, so I'll not be expressing any interest in these, but it's good to know the KP hasn't been totally forgotten
Indeed - they must obviously be aware it has quite a following.
12-01-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it available outside Japan?

12-01-2022, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is it available outside Japan?
I don't know about that. I think the fact that it is not done by crowdfunding makes that a little more likely. Some of these special items do appear in limited numbers overseas later on.

These grips were shown at a J-Limited event I attended in spring. For what it's worth, I mentioned to the J-Limited designer TKO that I thought some overseas customers would be interested in them. I don't know whether that will happen though.

Since that event, they have simplified the shape slightly. It used to have the lettering PENTAX stamped into it vertically but now it is just the same shape as the one that came with the KP J-Limited. Also, they mentioned at the last online event that they would be making it in limited numbers. It makes sense, because they don't want to be left with unsold ones and the number of potential buyers is limited to existing owners of a discontinued camera.

---------- Post added 12-01-22 at 02:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Indeed - they must obviously be aware it has quite a following.
Interestingly, there were a lot of attendees at the latest online event introducing themselves in the Zoom chat as "Team KP" or something like that. When they were talking about the new firmware for the K-3 III and K-1, the Team KP people were commenting "What about the KP?"

So I think, yes. They are well aware that the KP has a dedicated following.
12-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes, 25,000JPY = 184USD
12-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both brown and blue version look great. Comfy and visually tasteful.
Although, for 175 euro, ehhh....

(Edit! Standard grips, on Pentax EU store, is 40 euro each.)

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 12-01-2022 at 09:22 AM.
12-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks good. Let's see if they come to the US and cheaper.
12-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Both brown and blue version look great. Comfy and visually tasteful.
Although, for 175 euro, ehhh....

(Edit! Standard grips, on Pentax EU store, is 40 euro each.)
40 € but not in stock..
12-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

An admission that maybe the KP was discontinued too early?
12-02-2022, 03:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very attractive look.
I wonder how hard it would be to carve one out of a nice wood and fasten it on with a similar screw of matching threads? Been years since I've tried detailed woodwork like that.
12-02-2022, 01:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably take me the best part of a day's work, not forgetting it probably has metal bracket like the plastic versions so looking around $500. Rather be taking photos 😊
12-02-2022, 05:26 PM   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
At their J-Limited events in Japan, one of the regular things they do is to show user made customizations. They gather submissions from people who register. I've seen a lot of Japanese customers that made their own grips out of blocks of wood, some of which look quite nice.

However, these grips made by Miroku are made differently. I think they are made by a process of somehow shaping thin wood into the desired shape and then applying nine layers of lacquer over it, which supposedly makes the grip resistant to stains and wear. So this is why they are expensive items. Also, you may know that lacquer is quite a traditional craft in Japan. So there is also a link to Japan's cultural heritage here.

By the way, if anyone here has made their own KP grip and want to share it with the J-Limited team, I can send them a photo on your behalf. They would probably show it at an event, but of course the event itself would only be open to Japan-based customers, so you wouldn't get to see it.

As for the timing, it probably seems strange since the camera is discontinued. At the very first J-Limited presentation, one of the things they wanted to do was sell "Custom parts", but they said it was difficult to realize for some unspecified reason. It seems they have now decided to go ahead with it. One problem with releasing this while the KP was in production must have been that fewer people would buy the KP J-Limited model of they could get the grip separately. I know the J-Limited model had other changes, but to be honest, the grip is the part that is the most interesting part.

As for the two colors, I happen to think they black grips look really really good in person. The finish of the wood doesn't't come across well in pictures, and the brown one looks more special. But in person the black grips have a really deep shine to them and look very classy in an understated way.

It would be cool if they introduced another camera that takes the same grips in future. I have no reason to believe it will happen, but it would be great to make it a standard attachment and be able to mix and match grips and bodies.
12-02-2022, 05:52 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
An admission that maybe the KP was discontinued too early?
I think that rather than resurrect the K-70, Pentax should have resuscitated the KP, even though it would be more expensive.

Edit: Another thought, the KP, K-3 III, and K-1 II are all rather complementary, fitting nicely into specific usage scenarios.
12-05-2022, 06:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Another thought, the KP, K-3 III, and K-1 II are all rather complementary, fitting nicely into specific usage scenarios.
I quite agree! And. again, it seems obvious that the KP is the only DSLR that can make the compact APS-C mirrorless crowd sweat a bit!

As to the custom alternate grips compared to the standard grips, I could not make such a choice without actually trying one out. Compared with most DSLR designs, the main departure by the KP's grip, especially the largest of the supplied grips, is the lack of a finger notch. Although this notch can make for a more secure feel in handling, such as in raising the camera up to the eye, etc. doing this over a long period of time can put some stress on the inside of the middle finger in the notch, especially when using a weighty lens. In comparing handling with my K-5 IIs body, I find this body more secure feeling, but the KP with its largest grip to be less stressful in this regard. When using a very weighty lens, I prefer to use the battery grip with the KP, and even with the K-5, to provide a greater gripping surface that is not so reliant on the finger notch, and to balance better with the camera. But all hands are not equal!

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-05-2022 at 06:49 PM.