Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2022, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Still worth buying

Hi all just rejoined , used to have the k5 , k5ii then changed systems but very nearly pulled the trigger on the kp some years ago and still miss pentax so whats peoples experience with it. Thinking of now adding one to my Arsenal

12-02-2022, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Petebuster1 Quote
Hi all just rejoined , used to have the k5 , k5ii then changed systems but very nearly pulled the trigger on the kp some years ago and still miss pentax so whats peoples experience with it. Thinking of now adding one to my Arsenal
It’s my daily driver in Pentax. Lovely camera, poor battery life is the main downside. Buy a spare and it’s not bad. Liveview eats batteries. Grip works as well, but not required for casual shooting most of the time.
12-02-2022, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I got mine stolen several weeks back and was able to score one w/ only 2270 activations on the Marketplace here for a reasonable price (not always true with used KPs as people will take bad deals for this great camera). As Uncle Vanya, says, there is the battery life which in my cold climate meant I bought the battery grip and a large battery for winter pics. I don't use the grip in the summer as it's not needed given my habits of taking no more than a couple of score pics in any one session.

Last edited by jgnfld; 12-02-2022 at 02:22 PM.
12-02-2022, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Petebuster1 Quote
The KP is an amazing camera, it has a lot of frills that you can find in the K-1 II as well and is a bit more like a camera than the flagships, it is smaller, lighter and has (in my opinion) a brighter OVF, which makes it much easier to use manual lenses. Unfortunately this model is discontinued and I seldom see a second hand KP. Like the old Super A it comes with different grips that you can attach to the camera to get the right gripping that that fits your hand. Battery life is lower than a flagship, but an extra original battery will solve that problem.

12-02-2022, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
The KP is an amazing camera, it has a lot of frills that you can find in the K-1 II as well and is a bit more like a camera than the flagships, it is smaller, lighter and has (in my opinion) a brighter OVF, which makes it much easier to use manual lenses. Unfortunately this model is discontinued and I seldom see a second hand KP. Like the old Super A it comes with different grips that you can attach to the camera to get the right gripping that that fits your hand. Battery life is lower than a flagship, but an extra original battery will solve that problem.
I find that KP battery life below about -5C w/o the grip is only a few shots once you are outside in the elements for a while which even with my low typical shoot counts/session means a LOT of switching to and from batteries in an inner pocket. Thankfully I ordered a battery grip which takes the big Pentax battery just before the KP was discontinued and that solved the problem.
12-02-2022, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The KP is still worth getting if you can find one at a price that suits you.
Superior to the K-70/KF in most respects, (not that there's anything "wrong" with the K-70), it sits comfortably between the KF and the K-3iii and has a few tricks that the K-3iii can't manage
12-02-2022, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I find that KP battery life below about -5C w/o the grip is only a few shots once you are outside in the elements for a while which even with my low typical shoot counts/session means a LOT of switching to and from batteries in an inner pocket. Thankfully I ordered a battery grip which takes the big Pentax battery just before the KP was discontinued and that solved the problem.
Wow, I think you may have a bad battery or your definition of a few is higher than mine. Before moving to this warmer climate I've had many outing where I was out in below freezing temps for 2-3 hours, I've only had performance that bad on older third party batteries. The cold does mess with batteries, and it's not always easy when you are wearing bulky gloves, and your hands are cold and stiff. I do have one 2020 battery that is not as good as my other Pentax batteries when it is colder, even the 2012 one I have. It seems OK when not in the cold.

12-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Wow, I think you may have a bad battery or your definition of a few is higher than mine. Before moving to this warmer climate I've had many outing where I was out in below freezing temps for 2-3 hours, I've only had performance that bad on older third party batteries. The cold does mess with batteries, and it's not always easy when you are wearing bulky gloves, and your hands are cold and stiff. I do have one 2020 battery that is not as good as my other Pentax batteries when it is colder, even the 2012 one I have. It seems OK when not in the cold.
Dunno. All Pentax batteries. Perfectly fine above 0C. Newfoundland is tough, though. Very wet and quite cold in winter.

???

Last edited by jgnfld; 12-02-2022 at 10:05 PM.
12-02-2022, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF.

There would be very little difference between the K-70/KF and the KP in image quality, but the KP has a number of premium features which make it a much better camera: quiet shutter, more robust construction, third wheel (very useful), better AF, better metering, electronic shutter, better dust removal system, more bracketing options, to mention a few.

If the latest and greatest AF matters to you, you should look at the K-3iii. It will also have a feel and features more like the K-5 series that you are used to - two card slots, top LCD, bigger battery, longer guaranteed shutter life etc. Plus a great viewfinder, very fast burst speed, larger buffer and a host of new features. Downside (apart from cost) is the fixed screen. The tilt screen on the KP (or the flippy screen on the K-70/KF) is really handy.

Last edited by Des; 12-03-2022 at 02:58 PM.
12-03-2022, 01:36 AM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Two low shutter count examples for sale at MPB in the UK (the OP's country)
icon/midnight/@menu

I have one and I love this camera - the size, custom options, the IQ - just great!
12-03-2022, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #11

"quiet shutter, more robust construction, third wheel (very useful), better AF, better metering, electronic shutter, better dust removal system, more bracketing options"

and

more ISO Power (check dpreview with K-3 III and K-1 II), battery grip option, pixel shift,

So - i would prefer a 2nd hand KP.

Good luck!
12-03-2022, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cola Quote
more ISO Power
^ For anyone coming from the K-5 series, the high ISO performance of the KP (or K-70 or K-3iii), with the accelerator unit, will be a significant improvement.

Each of these models also offers pixel shift. And the ability to control aperture on KAF4 lenses, such as the HD DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM and the HD DA*16-50mm f2.8 PLM, which the K-5 series doesn't have.

Last edited by Des; 12-03-2022 at 05:18 PM.
03-07-2023, 04:11 PM   #13
Forum Member

After doing my research, I decided to spring for a KP. In addition to all the reasons mentioned here, I find their re-sale value higher, so it's less of a risk if I jump ship. It's supposed to be delivered today, so wish me luck!

In terms of availability, I find that 5-10 a week come up on the market here in Japan. The big domestic sellers are mapcamera and camera kitamura, both you can find with google, and I think both do international shipping - note, unlike from China, shipping from Japan -> NA is usually lightning fast. I got mine for about $580 USD delivered in "as new" condition. I'll note that they don't tell you the shot count (despite many phone calls), with weird reasons given, but you have a 14 day return window, at least domestically.

I'm upgrading from a K-50, so I'm excited!!!
03-07-2023, 06:10 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimyoung999 Quote
After doing my research, I decided to spring for a KP. In addition to all the reasons mentioned here, I find their re-sale value higher, so it's less of a risk if I jump ship. It's supposed to be delivered today, so wish me luck!

In terms of availability, I find that 5-10 a week come up on the market here in Japan. The big domestic sellers are mapcamera and camera kitamura, both you can find with google, and I think both do international shipping - note, unlike from China, shipping from Japan -> NA is usually lightning fast. I got mine for about $580 USD delivered in "as new" condition. I'll note that they don't tell you the shot count (despite many phone calls), with weird reasons given, but you have a 14 day return window, at least domestically.

I'm upgrading from a K-50, so I'm excited!!!
The jump is going to be HUGE. I went form K-50 to K-3 and then later to KP. The jump from K-50 to K-3 was modest. It was noticed mainly in ergonomics and special features. The jump to the KP will be mind blowing in terms of ISO performance and usability. The extra control wheel is very useful in practice.
03-07-2023, 06:15 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The jump is going to be HUGE. I went form K-50 to K-3 and then later to KP. The jump from K-50 to K-3 was modest. It was noticed mainly in ergonomics and special features. The jump to the KP will be mind blowing in terms of ISO performance and usability. The extra control wheel is very useful in practice.
That's what I want to hear!