Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2023, 08:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Broken LCD Screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I posted in December that I cracked the LCD screen on my KP. I've taken it to a couple local camera shops (Portland, OR). The first one charged me $60 too look it over and then told me several days later that they'd have to send it off for repair at about $700. The second place was able to tell me over the counter that they can't buy parts for it but maybe they could possibly find the part if they had the part number. Does anybody know if there's a place that lists the part numbers? I can't find anything using google. Maybe chatgpt!

I think I might put an ad in the buy/sell to see if anybody has a broken one they wouldn't mind selling me cheap for parts and then have the local place repair it.

I looked at the Precision Camera website and it looks like the minimum repair would be $500 - I don't know that they do their online estimates - they just ask for the model number. They don't ask what is wrong with it.

It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult of a fix - very frustrating. It's virtually unusable because I can't see the right half of the screen - so using the menu is not possible.

Any other ideas? I have the KP 3 III, but often times I use both cameras fitted with different lenses.

04-15-2023, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talk to your insurance company. Make it their problem.
04-16-2023, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The estimated prices are ridicilous!

The most expensive Pentax LCD screen is the one from the K3 (3,2"),
most 3" screens cost at the most $ 50.

In Germany the official Pentax repairshops Kamerazeit in Luebeck and Maerz Hamburg charged € 200 for a KP LCD replacement!
04-16-2023, 01:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At those prices, why not buy a used KP to replace it?

04-16-2023, 05:04 AM   #5

Precision won't give you an actual estimate until they can inspect the equipment. They won't charge your card until you approve the work and it is completed and shipped. You can always decline the estimate although you would have to pay for return shipping.

You would need the service parts list to get part numbers. It appears that Ricoh no longer sells service manuals and parts lists as the KP manuals are not available online as some of the earlier models are.

Even with a part number Ricoh will not sell parts except to one of their authorized repair centers.

There are replacement screens for other model Pentax available on eBay. The seller for this screen for this K-R/5/7 screen seems to specialize in camera screens. Perhaps they can help you. Listings don't mention OEM parts. There are also sellers in Germany and Poland that seem to sell replacement screens.

LCD Replacement Screen Display f Pentax K-R K-5 K-7 711766763589 | eBay
04-16-2023, 08:42 AM   #6

You could try KEH Georgia. They have done some repairs for me in the past.
04-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's another eBay screen source you might e-mail to see if they carry a KP screen.

NEW LCD Display Screen For PENTAX K-1 Repair Part K1 | eBay

04-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simsburyphoto Quote
You could try KEH Georgia. They have done some repairs for me in the past.
KEH will not fix Pentax cameras because they cannot get parts. I wasted money and sent a KP there and they returned it with that message, why can't they put that on the website?
04-16-2023, 05:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
KEH will not fix Pentax cameras because they cannot get parts. I wasted money and sent a KP there and they returned it with that message, why can't they put that on the website?
Why won't Pentax supply parts?
04-16-2023, 06:13 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Why won't Pentax supply parts?
Ricoh changed their policy a couple years ago and will only sell parts to their authorized service centers. Before that they would sell parts to other camera repair businesses as well.
04-16-2023, 11:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Here's another eBay screen source you might e-mail to see if they carry a KP screen.

NEW LCD Display Screen For PENTAX K-1 Repair Part K1 | eBay
Thank you

Last edited by Medex; 02-08-2024 at 04:07 AM.
04-17-2023, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
This is NOT K-1 screen FOR SURE. K-1 screen has different flex cable
Understood, but it's possible the supplier might have one or knows one that works for the KP. There's a supplier link in the K-1 screen listing (same is true for post #5).
04-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #13

I brought my Pentax KP to a local camera repair shop about two weeks ago because my LCD just stopped working. Its obviously an easy and relatively cheap replacement however the shop can't find any replacement LCDs because Ricoh just doesn't sell them to anyone aside from their authorized service centers. The official authorized repair center near me has extremely poor reviews as well as much higher price estimates than literally any local shop I took the camera for an estimate for similar repairs.

There are so many posts (on this forum and elsewhere) about the KP's LCD needing repair or replacement. I'm surprised that Ricoh has not allowed for the sale of spare parts or even acknowledged that this is a relatively common issue for the KP.
04-18-2023, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PrincePolo Quote
I brought my Pentax KP to a local camera repair shop about two weeks ago because my LCD just stopped working. Its obviously an easy and relatively cheap replacement however the shop can't find any replacement LCDs because Ricoh just doesn't sell them to anyone aside from their authorized service centers. The official authorized repair center near me has extremely poor reviews as well as much higher price estimates than literally any local shop I took the camera for an estimate for similar repairs.

There are so many posts (on this forum and elsewhere) about the KP's LCD needing repair or replacement. I'm surprised that Ricoh has not allowed for the sale of spare parts or even acknowledged that this is a relatively common issue for the KP.
Good point and the fact that LCD screens often end up being damaged in accidents should prod Ricoh to offer screens as is done in the cell-phone industry. One can easily find a replacement screen for most any phone - why not cameras? It may be that Ricoh wants to keep the actual repair under their control so other camera issues aren't created when an unqualified person botches the LCD replacement job, but it would be nice if these screens were available.
11-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #15

I too am looking for a KP LCD screen and/or the the flex wire that attaches it to the body of the camera. Has anybody had any luck sourcing these parts?