Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2023, 08:37 PM   #1

KP JPEG Image Sharpness

Hi all, I recently got a 2nd hand KP together with a 18-45 kit lens. After trying a few shoots, I did find a major problem with the camera. Is it a common problem for KP or all recent Pentax DLSRs that the default JPEG is not sharp? What are the key settings I need to adjust? Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

---------- Post added 04-16-23 at 09:05 PM ----------

Sorry for typo. Shall be 18-55 kit

04-16-2023, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not enough information, mate. How are you judging sharpness? Have you a sample of an unsharp photo?
04-16-2023, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_Walker Quote
Hi all, I recently got a 2nd hand KP together with a 18-45 kit lens. After trying a few shoots, I did find a major problem with the camera. Is it a common problem for KP or all recent Pentax DLSRs that the default JPEG is not sharp? What are the key settings I need to adjust? Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Use your lens at F8, 35 mm, focus in Live View and then see for sharpness
04-17-2023, 12:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pictures, or it didn't happen

In addition to Medex's suggestions, shoot static subjects with the camera on a tripod. Then, if they're still not sharp, post them here with EXIF intact and we'll do our best to help.

04-17-2023, 12:13 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which version of the 18-55mm are you using?

18-55mm: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2023, 12:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it a common problem for KP or all recent Pentax DLSRs that the default JPEG is not sharp?
It is not common for any Pentax camera to produce unsharp jpegs. The "kit" lenses often come in for some flak, but will all take sharp images.

Without an image it is difficult to diagnose your problem. There may indeed be an issue with your copy of camera or lens, but you need to define "not sharp". That phrase is often used when the issue is not sharpness per se...... eg a slow shutter speed can induce blur due to camera shake or subject movement..... or missed focus will not show sharpness where you want it, but either in front or behind the intended subject. If you rely on autofocus while using the viewfinder (PDAF) there is the possibility your AF sensor is dusty or out of alignment.... a clean with a rocket blower and an adjustment to the AF in the menu will solve that.

As advised above, please post some images.
04-17-2023, 01:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You can't just blame it on the camera as there are too many things that affect photo sharpness.
21 Tips for Getting Sharper Photos | B&H eXplora

04-17-2023, 02:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Which version of the 18-55mm are you using?

18-55mm: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com
AL WR version. The one without the green line.

---------- Post added 04-17-23 at 02:50 AM ----------

Thanks! I 'll try other shoots and share the photos with you.
04-17-2023, 02:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I 'll try other shoots and share the photos with you
Excellent. If you can, try to link to a full size jpeg from a hosting site like Flickr, rather than uploading the photo directly to the forum. Direct uploads are resized by the forum software.
04-21-2023, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Well, there are certainly better lens choices for sharper images than those from the DA 18-55mm kit lens, However, even this lowly lens can do pretty well if used in mid apertures, like from f/8-11. If shutter speeds are too low at these apertures, you'd need to increase ISO sensitivity. Also, despite SR being very effective, it does not compensate for shutter speeds needed for the natural movement of live subjects, or that of moving cars, boats, trains, etc. Shutter speeds too low for conditions can be responsible for lack of sharpness.

As to the KP's sharpness, it has been found from lab tests, that the more pro and advanced-oriented Pentax models in particular are designed with sharpening set to "normal" actually being quite conservative, the idea being for more leeway in post processing. For sharper JPEG images right out of the camera, try this-
First, since your camera was purchased used, it is a good idea to do a reset to factory spec in order to do away with any adjustments the previous owner may have left in place. Then, do not have your mode dial set to "Auto" as this will disengage many controls, and not allow most adjustments by the user. The camera will decide everything, including the choice of which Custom Image category will be used for JPEG images, according to what it "thinks" it is "seeing". For fully automated exposure setting of both shutter speed and aperture, use the "P" (Program) setting instead, which allows full access for adjustments, including the exclusive Pentax Hyper system (more on this later).

Now that you have full access and have a clean start, go to the quick-link screen via the "info" button. The very first selection will probably be the Custom Image categories. Now the 4 buttons surrounding the OK button will be for navigation and adjustments. So if "Custom Image" is already selected, hit the OK button, which should reveal that the default "Bright" category has been preselected, which is a good choice for most uses. If not, move to it. Now hit the info button again to access its menu. Tab down to Sharpening, which in this category is already up one notch to +1 as its "normal" setting by default, as it is shown in green. Now, using your thumb dial, implement "Fine Sharpening" by putting an "F" onto the "S". Fine Sharpening refines and controls the sharpening process. This should improve fine detail in your images. You could increase the sharpening level by one more notch to +2 and see if this provides further improvement, and if not just leave it back on +1, but in either case, "Fine Sharpening" is vey important. I would not advise going above +2 as this can invite unwanted artifacts. Once you've made the adjustment, hit the OK button, and then just turn off the camera. The normal rear screen will be restored upon turning it back on.

You can also adjust to the same settings in other Custom Image categories as well, such as the "Natural" category, which involves a less saturated color palette for more natural skin tones, and less exaggerated contrast, which is better for already high-contrast scenes or conditions. It is not recommended to increase any sharpening aspect in the "Portrait" category.

The KP is a marvelous camera. Imaging is outstanding with the right setup and with upper level lenses. Your DA 18-55mm will do for now if used at its best parameters. But your KP deserves better.

I hope your camera included the owner's manual. If not, one could be downloaded from a Ricoh/Pentax website, according to which country you live in. (?)

And, welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-21-2023 at 06:35 PM.