Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe I read somewhere in this thread that viewing the images on a phone via the Theta application degrades image quality. The advice was to not view images on the phone if one wanted to later do a thing or two to them on a computer.

I can hunt this comment if needed but thought I would skip that step and ask if anyone knows much about this...

I might understand that the images transferred to the phone for viewing may have quality or image size reduced for viewing on the phone. IQ will have been degraded.

However, surely the images on the Theta itself are not degraded.. If images are copied to the phone rather than moved, surely the image on the Theta remains unmolested... How/why would things be any other way?

05-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I believe I read somewhere in this thread that viewing the images on a phone via the Theta application degrades image quality. The advice was to not view images on the phone if one wanted to later do a thing or two to them on a computer.

I can hunt this comment if needed but thought I would skip that step and ask if anyone knows much about this...

I might understand that the images transferred to the phone for viewing may have quality or image size reduced for viewing on the phone. IQ will have been degraded.

However, surely the images on the Theta itself are not degraded.. If images are copied to the phone rather than moved, surely the image on the Theta remains unmolested... How/why would things be any other way?
There is a setting in the Theta S smartphone app for you to decide what size/quality spherical image you want to transfer via the WiFi connection. I have mine set to the original, highest quality. I think this was NOT an option in the Theta m15 or Theta360 - you only got the down-sized image if you did a WiFi transfer. But, you're right, the image on the Theta is still the original image, no matter what, and you can always plug the Theta into your computer and move the original quality images into Lightroom or wherever you do your editing.
05-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
You're seeing in Theta-vision! :-D
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Hahaha, I love it. Did you just make that up?
I did! At least, I've never heard it before... but it's catchy, isn't it?
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
It's really awesome, you should try to get that to catch!
If you want to suggest that Catchline to Ricoh PM me or Adam) for the contact info of the Marketing Director in Denver.

It's really very good!
05-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a setting in the Theta S smartphone app for you to decide what size/quality spherical image you want to transfer via the WiFi connection. I have mine set to the original, highest quality. I think this was NOT an option in the Theta m15 or Theta360 - you only got the down-sized image if you did a WiFi transfer. But, you're right, the image on the Theta is still the original image, no matter what, and you can always plug the Theta into your computer and move the original quality images into Lightroom or wherever you do your editing.
You are correct. I have the m15.

05-30-2016, 09:59 AM - 3 Likes   #140
Veteran Member

My first excursion with the Theta S was to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. This is the old mulberry tree.

Ricoh Theta 360 Image
06-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #141
Veteran Member

At the beautiful Emerald Bay.
Theta Image
06-07-2016, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We went to a friend's wedding in Colorado over Memorial Day weekend. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have, but the Theta was nice to have. :-)

At Penelope's burger joint in Estes Park
Theta Image

"Labyrinth" at the YMCA of the Rockies
Theta Image

Demonstrating the Theta S for a friend at the Stanley Hotel whiskey bar
Theta Image

Eating pizza at the cabin
Theta Image

Bonfire
Theta Image

Long exposure for some stars
Theta Image

At the ceremony
Theta Image

Newlyweds!
Theta Image

Toasting at the reception
Theta Image

06-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
My first excursion with the Theta S was to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
I love that place.

You all are making it hard for me to resist buying a Theta-S
06-08-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I love that place.

You all are making it hard for me to resist buying a Theta-S
Me too. I am a member there and go as often as I can.

Resistance is futile! You might as well get a Theta now.

Next stop for my Theta is Scotland.
06-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FYI I just got a Samsung Gear VR headset and I can view Theta photos in VR. Very cool! I just plug in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and the Oculus app can see the Theta folders stored in albums there (not within the Theta app).

The Gear VR screen resolution is dependent upon the phone or phablet that you insert. The S7 Edge has a great screen with high pixel density (nearly 600 pixels per inch!) but it's not enough for VR - you can see the pixels in all the VR screens. And images from my M15 are really really grainy but it's still very cool to be back in the image and able to look around.

I'm going to borrow some files from my brother with the Theta S and see how much better they are.

This is the future.
06-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Waiting for the next sale...
06-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Facebook now allows native 360 photo sharing. It's pretty cool.
06-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Waiting for the next sale...
I did find a bargain on m15 but hesitated and let it go. I think the S is to expensive for what it offers. But I will gladly shell out that price for an upgraded version with 4K video and seals that make it submersible. 4K because the video is cropped very hard when viewing, and very good seals for under water photo. If I find the S for under 200$ I could get that in the meantime.
06-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Does Theta work together with Ubuntu phones? Or standalone?

I don't want Android anymore and iOS is not an option.
06-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #150
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Does Theta work together with Ubuntu phones? Or standalone?

I don't want Android anymore and iOS is not an option.
The app is only available for android and ios. You can still use the camera without a phone app, and download via USB to a PC or tablet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: