Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I spent 2+ weeks riding a motorcycle in Patagonia. I took the Theta V with me. Here is the first of many photos to come.

Boat tour of the Beagle Channel from Ushuaia, Argentina

Theta Image

Theta Image

Last edited by johnmflores; 02-23-2018 at 11:39 AM.
03-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #257
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I spent 2+ weeks riding a motorcycle in Patagonia. I took the Theta V with me. Here is the first of many photos to come.

Boat tour of the Beagle Channel from Ushuaia, Argentina

Theta Image

Theta Image
Great shots! Do you have any others you'd like to share? I'm looking for some nice samples for our upcoming Theta V review. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take the V to all the exotic places my SC has gone.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Great shots! Do you have any others you'd like to share? I'm looking for some nice samples for our upcoming Theta V review. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take the V to all the exotic places my SC has gone.
Hey Adam, I'm still sorting through my Patagonia photos, but feel free to use whatever you need for the review. All I ask for is a photo credit.

Thanks and let me know if you want any feedback about the V...john
03-22-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #259
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Riding through Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi
by John Flores, on Flickr

04-02-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #260

Photos: Gallery
These are so cool. I stood there looking at the Theta in a camera store a week ago thinking if I should own one. Watching these pictures I'm starting to lean to that =)
04-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Things really deteriorate at ISO1600 but you can salvage the image if you convert to black & white.
Theta Image
06-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #262
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Walking to Malin Head, the northern end of Ireland

07-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #263
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Took my nephew to his first car race, the Formula E electric races in NYC. Here's some footage right at the start of the race as the field charges (ha ha!) into Turn 1. Turn up the volume!

07-16-2018, 05:49 PM - 7 Likes   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I experimented this weekend with stacking Theta V milky way photos.

The first is five pictures, 25 seconds at ISO 1600, WB incandescent light 1, stacked in Sequator
Ricoh Theta 360 Image

The second was two pictures, same settings, stacked in Sequator
Ricoh Theta 360 Image
07-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote

The first is five pictures, 25 seconds at ISO 1600, WB incandescent light 1, stacked in Sequator
These are beautiful and very interesting shots. Can you tell us more about how you did it. Did you just take the Theta shots and stack them like any other photo or did you need to do something to accommodate the 360 view?
07-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, it was fun. The milky way is really vertical in the sky right now, seeming like a perfect opportunity for a 360 degree overhead capture.

Of course, the down side of the small sensor and required high ISO was going to be noise. I thought I'd try stacking the images in Sequator (free software, pretty good noise reduction).

With the camera settings described in my above post, I simply loaded them into Lightroom, played with the sliders, exported to Sequator for stacking of the images, and brought the final image back to lightroom for some more processing. The resulting images weren't horrible and were exported and dragged into the THETA program for sharing.

I had the camera about 15 feet up on a light stand, connected to my phone via wifi. This was up in the mountains on a deserted logging road. The hardest part was not getting the glow of my cellphone captured in the shot (I wish the bluetooth selfie stick hand piece worked). I ended up hitting the capture button on the phone and pushing the phone rapidly against my stomach while walking away from the light stand during the shot.

Last edited by riseform; 07-17-2018 at 06:49 PM.
07-23-2018, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #267
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing. How easy is it to use Sequator?

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote

Spherical Image | RICOH THETA

The second was two pictures, same settings, stacked in Sequator
Spherical Image | RICOH THETA
07-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing. How easy is it to use Sequator?
Thanks, it's actually pretty easily picked up.
The Sequator website instructions are fair, but you'll really learn how to use the program watching video tutorials on You Tube (where I learn virtually everything these days, this forum aside).
Search You Tube for "Sequator tutorials" and you'll be good to go.
07-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #269

Thanks for sharing these nice photos! I have recently heard about Theta and I got curious about it.
I hear some of the reviews say the quality is pretty bad but from what I can see - it actually quite good!
07-29-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hummingbirds
Ricoh Theta 360 Image