Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Theta Image

---------- Post added 06-28-15 at 12:56 PM ----------

Theta Image

06-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Hmmm... there seems to be something on the lens in those last two.
You really should have a UV filter over the lens to protect it from dirt, smudges, and losing resale value...
06-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Growing up, I never liked the way that I looked. Now I just don't care.
I am perplexed by how the Theta manages to erase its own existence in its images. Wow. How was it mounted on the bicycle?
07-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I am perplexed by how the Theta manages to erase its own existence in its images. Wow. How was it mounted on the bicycle?
I had a Manfrotto Nano Clamp on the handlebar and a small ballhead IIRC.

I believe that each element of the Theta takes a slightly greater than 180 degree photo. The body of the camera is in the exact same photo on each shot so it's not hard to stitch the two sides so the camera is in the overlapping/hidden part of the stitch.

A new one from today. The Theta really needs light to take a decent shot.

Theta Image

08-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looking to do some hill work so I ran to a local steep road and went up and down several times

Theta Image

Stanton Mountain Road is steep - it climbs ~400 feet in about 1.7 miles. Thankfully it's shaded. It's hard to capture the steepness of the road with the Theta.

Theta Image

This kind of setting with high exposure range is particularly challenging for the Theta. The sky gets washed out and lots of chromatic aberration in the branches and leaves.

Theta Image

A fun selfie

Theta Image

The backside of the mountain is more gradual and easier, but running down a hill really stresses the quads. The Theta M15 performs better in bright light but it's still kind of meh. It would be great to have the 1/1.7 sensor of the Q7/Q-S1 in the next iteration, but they'd likely have to re-engineer the optics. I'd like to see a more handle-like (cylindrical grip) and some kind of integrated lens shield system, perhaps a cylinder that slides over the lenses for storage and slides down for taking photos.

Theta Image
08-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't look down!

Theta Image
10-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This page gets slower and slower with each new spherical. But here's another one anyway, called "Running is Hard"

Theta Image

10-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very cool John.
I did not realize this thread was around until today.

Thanks for all the effort.
10-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

This review of the Theta S on DC Watch is interesting because it includes direct comparisons of m15 and S models of both stills and videos.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20151016_725963.html

That night shot with the building with rounded windows is taken right outside the station where I live. Well, I don't actually live in the station, but you know what I mean.

---------- Post added 10-17-15 at 02:00 PM ----------

Oh, and I was watching a police drama on TV the other day and it had a really bit of product placement for Theta. The forensic expert pulled one to to record the scene and made the comment "Look I've got one of these things now", or something similar.
10-27-2015, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Three photos from one shot:

Theta Image

Trail Running with the Ricoh Theta M15
by John Flores, on Flickr

This is what an "unwrapped" Ricoh Theta photo looks like
by John Flores, on Flickr
10-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I just pre-ordered the new Theta S. What is the best way to share 360 degree photos on social media? I know the app can share a link to Facebook and Twitter, but will it just share a link or can people be able to view it on Facebook without having to go to Theta site?
10-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi guys, I might have missed where it has already been discussed but I understand the image needs to be uploaded to the theta site to produce the panning images as seen in the shots above. Does this then give you a url to embed into a website as you have done? I would LOVE this for my website. Cheers Mike
10-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
I just pre-ordered the new Theta S. What is the best way to share 360 degree photos on social media? I know the app can share a link to Facebook and Twitter, but will it just share a link or can people be able to view it on Facebook without having to go to Theta site?
On Facebook and Twitter, you have to share a link that brings people to the the Theta360 site. People can't view it in-stream.

QuoteOriginally posted by mickyd Quote
Hi guys, I might have missed where it has already been discussed but I understand the image needs to be uploaded to the theta site to produce the panning images as seen in the shots above. Does this then give you a url to embed into a website as you have done? I would LOVE this for my website. Cheers Mike
For websites, there is an HTML embed code that you can use. There seems to be a limit on how many can be active at the same time though. Check out this page on my site - Story in the Round: Running a 5K with the Ricoh Theta M15 | johnmflores
11-04-2015, 05:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there a way to view the images in Phone VR glasses like these?
11-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #30
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Is there a way to view the images in Phone VR glasses like these?
There's a new version of the app out today. It allows you to view images through smartphone VR setup using "Google cardboard".

https://theta360.com/en/info/news/2015-11-17/

Interestingly a magazine guide to the Theta was released in Japan today as well. It includes a ready made cardboard headset thing to use for VR viewing.

RICOH THETA ????????? | ?????

Finally, I noticed that the Theta S is #4 in the online sales ranking of compact cameras in Japan at the moment. Not bad for something dismissed by many as a gimmick.

http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-camera/ranking_0050/

This link was showing the Theta at #4 on Nov 17 but it will change if viewed at a later date.