Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
I totally agree. Ricoh Theta was a game changer for 360 photography. Samsung camera looks nice but it only works with Samsung phones, which kind of sucks for people with other brand phones. I am waiting to see how the LG camera works. I am hoping 360 photos become more common with all these new players. Right now it is a pain to process and upload them on web.
Hey there Theta-philes! As my name on this forum suggests, I've been shooting panos (360x180 a la Theta) for 16 years now. I also do a ton of HDR work, 3D modeling and rendering, and building "virtual worlds" for head-mounted displays.

Here's the deal; I also write for a little site called dpreview, and pretty soon I'll be writing a "primer" on VR for photographers, and then a bit later reviewing 360 cameras (incl. the Theta and others that have been mentioned). As expected on DPR, I'll push these cameras to their limits in terms of dynamic range, flare control (for spherical cams!), general controls, stitch quality, software support, and so on.

What you say above, uday029, preps me for where Ricoh is at today, and what to expect from Nikon, Samsung, LG, and some others to-be-named-later. However, I then see you post fabulous long-exposures with light-painting!!?? Whatever little headaches are happening, the post-production is yielding great results. Heck, severalsnakes is showing what looks like HDR tonemapping in the car auction panos! Was not aware these things were possible with "one-shot 360" at such a small, and reasonably priced, scale.

03-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Kansas City Royals won the World Series last year and KC has been on cloud nine ever since. They've had a series of really cool billboards to celebrate, but the best one is definitely the "Salvy Splash" in Westport. Salvador Perez is the catcher. He's an adorable, big-hearted, overgrown kid, and he always dumps the Gatorade bucket on one of the players during the dugout interviews at the end of every game.

The number of selfies taken in front of this billboard is definitely in the thousands.

Add one more!

Theta Image
03-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Panoguy,

Would you mind sharing the link to the article once its published? Would love to know how other 360 cameras perform in comparison to Theta.

Another thing to note is that the app used to control theta is terrible. I could go on and on about how many improvements can be made to the app but the one major flaw I found the most irritating was:

It is super irritating to shoot something and wait for 60+ seconds only to see that error. It failed every time I shoot 60 seconds exposure. It failed about 75% of the time with 30 seconds. If you look closely, long exposure shots have weird purple bands in the photos. Two other important implementations could be:

1. Self timer
2. Show the EXIF data while shooting on Auto so it is easy to figure out Manual settings. Without any data, shooting manual is like shooting in the dark.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hey there Theta-philes! As my name on this forum suggests, I've been shooting panos (360x180 a la Theta) for 16 years now. I also do a ton of HDR work, 3D modeling and rendering, and building "virtual worlds" for head-mounted displays.

Here's the deal; I also write for a little site called dpreview, and pretty soon I'll be writing a "primer" on VR for photographers, and then a bit later reviewing 360 cameras (incl. the Theta and others that have been mentioned). As expected on DPR, I'll push these cameras to their limits in terms of dynamic range, flare control (for spherical cams!), general controls, stitch quality, software support, and so on.

What you say above, uday029, preps me for where Ricoh is at today, and what to expect from Nikon, Samsung, LG, and some others to-be-named-later. However, I then see you post fabulous long-exposures with light-painting!!?? Whatever little headaches are happening, the post-production is yielding great results. Heck, severalsnakes is showing what looks like HDR tonemapping in the car auction panos! Was not aware these things were possible with "one-shot 360" at such a small, and reasonably priced, scale.
03-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Theta S got a new firmware update today that adds a self timer!! Go get it! :-D It can be set to 2.5, 5 or 10 seconds and counts down with a flashing green light and little beeps before the shutter fires. Very, very cool! I'm looking forward to not having my hand in all my shots, and finally using my little mini Manfrotto tripod some. :-)

(The firmware also lets you take photos while connected to USB, but that's not as exciting to me)

03-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Theta S makes the mundane exciting!

Theta Image

And here's the tiny planet version

Woah!!

---------- Post added 03-24-16 at 08:10 PM ----------

Wow, I don't have a theta, stumbled into this thread to see what you fine folks are up to. These photos are soooo fun!
03-24-2016, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ordered a Theta S today. I want to take it to Scotland on vacation this summer. Love the pics y'all have posted.
03-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Alpine Lakes:

Theta Image

Theta Image

04-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Theta Image
04-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Ricoh Theta S (HDR mode)

Theta Image
04-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Took the Theta S out to the Fairgrounds and found these canoes in storage in the Conservation building.

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image

Theta Image
04-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Theta S

Black and white
Theta Image

Color
Theta Image
04-05-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #102
Veteran Member

Ricoh Theta S

I voted!

Theta Image

Theta Image
04-05-2016, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #103
Veteran Member

Yosemite Falls under the stars:
Theta Image
04-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Yosemite Falls under the stars:
Gorgeous!!! :-D
04-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Ricoh Theta S (I'm using the Theta S as my photo-a-day challenge for the month of April, so these are going to be coming through pretty consistently...)

These were taken at the Swine Pavilion! My fave photo spot. :-)

For this shot I set up the Theta on the mini Manfrotto tripod (so super handy!) and perched it in a terrifying way on the corner of the stair rail. I took two images using the WiFi trigger in the app, then used one image to clone myself out of the other image in PS Elements. It worked perfectly! Now I know that if I have a fairly static environment, I don't have to hide from the camera. I can just take a shot, move, and take another. It's probably an elementary discovery for spherical imaging, but I'm pretty pleased with myself.
Theta Image

This one is just the Theta S on a selfie stick standing on top of the mini Manfrotto. HDR capture with some toning-down of the kooky HDR colors, and a boost to contrast and clarity.
Theta Image