Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2019, 12:36 AM   #301

Some great pictures in this post. Keep up the good work folks.

01-19-2020, 11:17 PM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I recently purchased a Insta360 OneX from my brother. The still image quality is a step behind the Ricoh V but the video image quality (particularly the stabilization) is pretty incredible.

Insta360 OneX motocycle test - YouTube

Note that the camera is directly mounted to the handlebars of a twin cylinder motorcycle! Impressive. The workflow, however, is pretty tedious, and I prefer the usability of the Theta.
Just got a Insta360 One X and got to say that the stabalization is impressive and pretty much a game changer for cycling videos.
Before that, I'd have to stop and change the camera angle, but now its just 'shoot and compose later'

The only irony for me was that I'd always thought that I'd get a Ricoh Theta, but the early versions did not have the resolution for non-360 video, nor the stablization
01-21-2020, 03:18 AM   #303
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Just got a Insta360 One X and got to say that the stabalization is impressive and pretty much a game changer for cycling videos.
Before that, I'd have to stop and change the camera angle, but now its just 'shoot and compose later'

The only irony for me was that I'd always thought that I'd get a Ricoh Theta, but the early versions did not have the resolution for non-360 video, nor the stablization
I have looked at the One X for exactly those reasons - as well as the possibility for extra memory and batteries. The battery life of these cameras is not too impressive, and when travelling I'd love to be able to swap batteries rather than to rely on clunky solutions with power banks.
01-21-2020, 07:05 AM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have looked at the One X for exactly those reasons - as well as the possibility for extra memory and batteries. The battery life of these cameras is not too impressive, and when travelling I'd love to be able to swap batteries rather than to rely on clunky solutions with power banks.
Yeah, the battery is a big plus.
I'd reckon that 1hr battery like is probably doable with a power bank when most footage are going to be within 1-5mins each (and the 360camera goes into the bag during travel and gets plugged to the power bank)
But, yeah, with removable batteries, much less need of this discipline and hassle.

I'm looking for a better selfie stick.
The stock one retracts in a short while on my bicycle with all the jiggling around.
A better bicycle mounting solution over my current hose clamps would be good too.

I'm a bit concerned for Ricoh/Pentax.
It seems like they are the pioneers, but are now missing this market segment. (ie. action 360 )

01-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #305
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, the battery is a big plus.
I'd reckon that 1hr battery like is probably doable with a power bank when most footage are going to be within 1-5mins each (and the 360camera goes into the bag during travel and gets plugged to the power bank)
But, yeah, with removable batteries, much less need of this discipline and hassle.
It's also a lot worse when it's cold - which it is much of the year here. That goes for the One X, too, from what I have read. But at least then you can have a couple of batteries in a warm pocket.

I'm looking for a better selfie stick.
The stock one retracts in a short while on my bicycle with all the jiggling around.
A better bicycle mounting solution over my current hose clamps would be good too.
I can imagine that the twist-lock stick isn't ideal for action use. Maybe the Bike Bundle would be of interest? I have no experience with it myself.

I'm a bit concerned for Ricoh/Pentax.
It seems like they are the pioneers, but are now missing this market segment. (ie. action 360 )
Well, yes, they seem to be concentrating on a bit pricier segment with the Theta Z. It will be interesting to see if they will release a direct successor to the V as well to close the feature gap to the One X.

Then again, I'm not quite sure where Insta360 is going with their new One R. Is it supposed to succeed the X? It's quite a different beast, I think.
02-15-2020, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #306
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've thought about the One X as well, But decided to stay with the Theta for now. If I was in to video then the One X would be the way to go, but I shoot stills. I had found some software that will smooth out the Theta video but didn't want to spend the money to buy it. I do like exploring the tiny planet images and how they can transform the subject. Here's my latest shot with SC2 and processed with Snapseed:

05-08-2020, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #307
Pentaxian

Hello fellows & round-around guys

07-28-2020, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #308
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a video from the Theta V that I shot a couple of years ago:

I really hope that Ricoh catches up in video quality. It would be great to have a 1" sensor with great 5.6K video!
09-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #309
Banned

Wow, that hemispherical flare is quite something!
10-08-2020, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick stroll through a park at lunch today

11-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #311
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
If I was in to video then the One X would be the way to go, but I shoot stills.
Indeed. If I do decide to wade into video I would definitely get a One X. Now that the One X 2 is out there might finally show up some used Xes.

To get notably better stills I think the Theta Z is the way to go. Apart from the price...

I have also for the first time tried resampling the Theta images through Topaz Gigapixel AI. They clean up quite a bit, so I guess that can make it a "poor man's Z"

This second one was edited in the Theta app on the phone, then run through Gigapixel. Not quite as good, but it still cleaned up the smaller twigs quite well.

11-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #312
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
A quick stroll through a park at lunch today
Nice one! Beautiful colours!
11-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Indeed. If I do decide to wade into video I would definitely get a One X. Now that the One X 2 is out there might finally show up some used Xes.

To get notably better stills I think the Theta Z is the way to go. Apart from the price...

I have also for the first time tried resampling the Theta images through Topaz Gigapixel AI. They clean up quite a bit, so I guess that can make it a "poor man's Z"
I'll have to look into the Gigapixel AI. It sounds and looks very interesting. Funny you should mention the One X2. I've been thinking of starting to do video now and was thinking of getting the one R combo with the 1" mod. But now that the One X2 is announced I think I will be going for that, for multiple reasons but mostly for a better stitch line and the fact that the 1" mod does not focus that closely. I can get better close focus with a wider aperture with my Cannon G9X and it will fit in a shirt pocket. and not to mention not have dissemble and reassemble it.
11-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #314
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to look into the Gigapixel AI. It sounds and looks very interesting. Funny you should mention the One X2. I've been thinking of starting to do video now and was thinking of getting the one R combo with the 1" mod. But now that the One X2 is announced I think I will be going for that, for multiple reasons but mostly for a better stitch line and the fact that the 1" mod does not focus that closely. I can get better close focus with a wider aperture with my Cannon G9X and it will fit in a shirt pocket. and not to mention not have dissemble and reassemble it.
If you're interested in Gigapixel AI you should read this: 32% off Topaz Gigapixel AI, +New Update - PentaxForums.com

As for the X2, I think there isn't much difference in video/image quality from the X. It's mainly better controls and bigger batteries - and the X2 is waterproof. But both of them are, like the Thetas, more pocket friendly than the R.
11-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #315
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

One X
Now, then... I guess I will soon see how my Theta S compares to the One X. I found a used one for about $120 shipped