Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,213
Theta about to have some company (Nikon)

Could be interesting:

adventure journal – Nikon Enters Action Camera Market

Looks like Ricoh was ahead of the curve here.

01-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,517
The Nikon is rugged and 4k which beats the Theta.
But we don't know price and full specs.
01-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,078
I found the D5 info interesting. Crazy high ISO and 20mp.
01-05-2016, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 973
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Crazy high ISO and 20mp.
Just set the K-3II to ISO 51200, note the settings, turn the knob to M, copy the settings but set the shutter speed 64 times faster. There you got it. A higher resolution white noise machine.

01-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
The D5 announcement is pretty impressive. I'm quite curious to see its ISO quality. Hopefully it drives the price down on the other bodies and I can use my old AF Nikkor lenses on a full frame for birding. If the D5 is clean up to 300,000 ISO or so I think flash photography might be losing a grip at least in photojournalism and such. Fashion will still hold that flash till the end
01-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,696
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The Nikon is rugged and 4k which beats the Theta.
But we don't know price and full specs.

Those are impressive specs. We still don't yet know about the sensor and lens. There's a sample video Nikon has on youtube. It looks like gopro footage you move around with your finger on a phone's touch screen and view from any angle. I didn't see anything spherical like what can be done with the Theta. I really like the ability to zoom pics and videos in and out all the way to a sphere with the Theta.
01-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,213
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Those are impressive specs. We still don't yet know about the sensor and lens. There's a sample video Nikon has on youtube. It looks like gopro footage you move around with your finger on a phone's touch screen and view from any angle. I didn't see anything spherical like what can be done with the Theta. I really like the ability to zoom pics and videos in and out all the way to a sphere with the Theta.
The spherical, hold you tablet and watch the video rotate as you do is implemented by YouTube. It doesn't look like It's enable for the demo Nikon video, likely because the intro shots aren't 360 shots.
01-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
360 degree and spherical are not the same thing - this could be 360 rather than spherical. I didn't take a good look at it, though, so I apologize if I am overlooking obvious specs.

360 captures 360 degrees horizontally, but not does not capture the view above and below the camera.

01-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,696
With the Theta you can zoom out until you get a photo/video sphere. I've seen three demo videos for the Nikon. None of them give the option to view spheres. Given they're on youtube, so that may be the limiting factor.

Here Are the First 360° VR Videos Shot with the Nikon KeyMission 360
01-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,213
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
360 degree and spherical are not the same thing - this could be 360 rather than spherical. I didn't take a good look at it, though, so I apologize if I am overlooking obvious specs.

360 captures 360 degrees horizontally, but not does not capture the view above and below the camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
With the Theta you can zoom out until you get a photo/video sphere. I've seen three demo videos for the Nikon. None of them give the option to view spheres. Given they're on youtube, so that may be the limiting factor.

Here Are the First 360° VR Videos Shot with the Nikon KeyMission 360
I just viewed these on my iPad with the YouTube app. They are full 360 spherical. You can either rotate the FOV with your finger or move the tablet to change your FOV. Just like the Theta. And the image quality is significantly better than the Theta.

The playback issues are browser/app issues, not camera issues. Companies are paying attention to this tech because of the VR headsets from HTC, Oculus, and others that are about to hit the market. The hope is that VR is the breakout hit that home 3D never became. The jury is still out though.
01-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I just viewed these on my iPad with the YouTube app. They are full 360 spherical. You can either rotate the FOV with your finger or move the tablet to change your FOV. Just like the Theta. And the image quality is significantly better than the Theta.

The playback issues are browser/app issues, not camera issues. Companies are paying attention to this tech because of the VR headsets from HTC, Oculus, and others that are about to hit the market. The hope is that VR is the breakout hit that home 3D never became. The jury is still out though.
Nice. There was demand for this, within the industry. I participated in a meeting of approximately 20 people in the motion picture industry less than a year ago. This was in regards to how to capture spherical video for a commercial being shot by an Oscar-winning cinematographer. At the time, there was no device that could capture spherical video on the market at 24 fps.

Participants in the meeting included the commercial production company, a post production company, and a camera engineering team.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
digital camera, pentax cameras, point and shoot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have you ever heard Canon/Nikon to Pentax lens adaper Maksat Tutan Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 02-06-2014 07:46 PM
i have a couple of ?? about some lenses lguckert79 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 11-21-2010 08:14 AM
Nikon - have to decide tonight... Duh_Vinci Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 23 10-27-2010 11:07 PM
Are we about to say goodbye to a well known camera company Adrian Owerko Pentax News and Rumors 88 02-08-2010 03:19 AM
Hello, and I have some questions about low light shooting strictlypentax Welcomes and Introductions 2 06-02-2007 09:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top