Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can you get rectilinear photos from the Theta?

I have been trying to find out if and how you can get rectilinear photos form the Theta. I am interested in the 360 views, but I am also interested in using it for rectilinear photos. Can it be done? How easily, and with what software?

Thanks.

10-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course. Simply open the file in the Theta desktop app, pan/zoom to the area you want, then screenshot it and export to photoshop, etc. This is a nice quick-and-dirty way. You can also apply traditional distortion correction algorithms if that's what you want.

There's also plenty of open-source software for dealing with 360-degree photos, and I'm sure more all-in-one solutions will soon be released.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You mean apply traditional distortion control to the screenshot?

So there is third-party software that will convert the 360-degree photos to some sort of rectilinear photos?
10-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, there are actually a lot of tools for this because there are lots of 360 cameras out there. Here's one that's free (and hard to use, but usable for batch processing):

Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher
Straightening 360 Images Using Hugin

There are other paid plugins, though I think the screenshot method is still easiest. However, in lieu of applying distortion correction, I just crop it so that it still looks natural. For example, this is about 270 degrees:

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What did you start with? Did you take a screenshot and then crop?
10-28-2017, 02:50 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What did you start with? Did you take a screenshot and then crop?
Yes, and if you have a 4K monitor, there isn't really any degradation in image quality (in that shot I used my 1080 monitor though).

Adam

10-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm interesting in sufficient quality for printing, and I don't have a 4K monitor, so I would prefer a non-screenshot solution. It looks like you can't get RAW from it, but can you get any format other than JPG?
10-31-2017, 04:33 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's JPEG only. If you plan to print flat panoramas, then a crop of a spherical projection would be the way to go IMO. So you first send the theta file through software to project it, pick the area you want, then start editing in Photoshop, etc.

Now that I think about it, one could totally make an app to do this over the WiFi connection. Perhaps one already exists!

Anyway, if you take a look at the recently posted theta SC review, there are several out of camera files there that you can play with

Adam

10-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, thanks. I am less interested if the Theta only does JPGs, but I will still probably check one out in person.
10-31-2017, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
OK, thanks. I am less interested if the Theta only does JPGs, but I will still probably check one out in person.
The redeeming factor is that the image quality is quite good, because you get 24 mp downsampled to 12. Plus you need the camera to remove itself from the frame

Adam

11-02-2017, 12:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I usually do stitched panoramas, so for me the redeeming factor of the Theta is the single-shutter shot!